• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2018 Forum Mock: Discussion Thread

Simba

Staff Member
Just a reminder... You can drop out of udfa at any time.

...now is a good time for anyone that’s not me.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Haha nah man I have a breaking point. Only so many roster spots. My first couple of years playing this game, I may or may not have signed like 30 UDFAs per year...
was there not a roster limit at that point????

Well, I could see @Truth signing UDFA's all by himself.

Simba

Staff Member
was there not a roster limit at that point????

Well, I could see @Truth signing UDFA's all by himself.

There was. I just never filled my roster with some of those back end FAs and roster guys so I had like 30 roster spots open heading into UDFA. I've only got 18 left this year and I don't plan on all of those being UDFAs.

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
Question for you guys. Are there any players you missed out on either via FA or the draft that left a noticeable sting? I'm always curious about the almost-misses for other teams as I expect all of us to have at least one.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Question for you guys. Are there any players you missed out on either via FA or the draft that left a noticeable sting? I'm always curious about the almost-misses for other teams as I expect all of us to have at least one.
well the one for me was the retirement I had with Poluszny and losing out on signing Navarro Bowman. Other than that, I feel I did very well in the draft and free agency and it was a successful offseason for the Raiders.

Simba

Staff Member

I have about 1 "noticeable sting" per year. This year, it was missing out on that TE run in the 2nd round a little before me. I didn't want to use picks to trade up and watched the 3 guys I had hoped to get all be picked in succession basically. I still got Ian Thomas (albeit a little earlier than I would have liked to have taken him), but Gesicki, Hurst, or Goedert would look better on my team.

Free agency went very well for me. I missed out on LB but ended up swinging a late rounder for Korey Toomer so it all worked out fine there. I was comfortable with the draft class so it wasn't a huge concern. Outside of LB, I filled every position I wanted at far less than I was planning to pay, and was able to afford a few other guys via trade because of that.

I also blew 1 star on Ryan Grant lol

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
well the one for me was the retirement I had with Poluszny and losing out on signing Navarro Bowman. Other than that, I feel I did very well in the draft and free agency and it was a successful offseason for the Raiders.
You obviously didn’t care about Bowman enough to even bid on him one single time though lol

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Once he dropped so much, I definitely wanted Josh Allen, regardless of picking Cousins in FA. @Cowboysfan1 wanted to trade with me to jump the Giants for Allen, which I wasn't willing to do, then he jumped me, too and traded with Eagles.
Late punishment came today though - he now has only Garrett boys to root for, Dez is history. :p

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
You obviously didn’t care about Bowman enough to even bid on him one single time though lol
No. He was under the impression that he didn't have to bid in order to qualify for the home-team bid-off, which he participated. Then I realized that the participation was invalid and it was overturned.

Simba

Staff Member
And @Cowboysfan1 is up

Far too many skips. If you aren't going to be around, pass a board or put yourself on autoskip. UDFA is supposed to be a quick process, not another draft with long waits.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
No. He was under the impression that he didn't have to bid in order to qualify for the home-team bid-off, which he participated. Then I realized that the participation was invalid and it was overturned.
Yes. If you want a player and his price is no more than 3 stars throughout the entirety of free agency, it makes absolutely no sense to not bid one single time. Don’t make it more complicated than it is.

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
Yes. If you want a player and his price is no more than 3 stars throughout the entirety of free agency, it makes absolutely no sense to not bid one single time. Don’t make it more complicated than it is.
You somehow trying to tell him how much he actually wanted him, which is absolutely ludicrous, is making things more complicated than they are. There was another bid that followed for 5 Stars, which was invalid, but it kept up the appearance of a 5 Star bid until the end, which inadvertently drew away potential bidders. Within the context of his interpretation of the rule at the time, there was zero reason for him to place a bid of his own, cancelling out the invalid bid, and allowing a team with eons of cap space that was gunning for an ILB to correct their mistake and become eligible for a three-way race between three loaded teams in the bid-off when he could just wait it out and go at it in a one-on-one.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I didn’t bid on him because I knew I had polusczny. Plus I didn’t want to spend that much on him. I saw I was going to be outbid, thus focused my efforts.