• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2022 NFL Combine

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Sounds like Willis is picking up where he left off at the Senior Bowl with multiple reports of extremely impressive interviews. Feels like he's working his way into QB1 and not be solely the on field element. Coachable and leader are the words I keep seeing.

Which means he shouldn't make it to Pittsburgh... I figured a trade up would need to happen if they wanted him but he's unlikely to fall in to trade range now.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Sounds like Willis is picking up where he left off at the Senior Bowl with multiple reports of extremely impressive interviews. Feels like he's working his way into QB1 and not be solely the on field element. Coachable and leader are the words I keep seeing.
I think Willis might fuck around and find himself going as high as 2

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
it would be wild for lamar jackson to go 32nd in 2018, jalen hurts to go in the 2nd round but then for malik willis to go in the top 5 lol
Jalen hurts in round 2 was a reach and Lamar is probably half the reason hurts went so high, the mobile qb is the hot new thing and Willis is about as close as you can get to Lamar just based on the tape

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Jalen hurts in round 2 was a reach and Lamar is probably half the reason hurts went so high, the mobile qb is the hot new thing and Willis is about as close as you can get to Lamar just based on the tape

athletically sure and i get why he might go top 15 (which would still be a reach based on the tape)... but just look at the offences they were in and the complexities and pro concepts involved

but hey if he goes top 5 then great... hopefully multiple QBs find their way in the top 14

rossihunter2

Staff Member
More than maybe any other position at this point, because of the way the college game is, TE is probably the position most impacted by measurables... in many cases you can throw out the TE film because so many of these guys only really get asked to run quick short routes like hitches or outs

it's probably why i think that you're seeing lots of the elite TEs not come from the top of the draft because the best producers and the guys with the best tape, more often than not, are coming from the programs that used TEs the best...

at TE, bet on the traits, bet on the measurables

albert okwuegbunam is a great example from 2 classes ago

Simba

Staff Member
More than maybe any other position at this point, because of the way the college game is, TE is probably the position most impacted by measurables... in many cases you can throw out the TE film because so many of these guys only really get asked to run quick short routes like hitches or outs

it's probably why i think that you're seeing lots of the elite TEs not come from the top of the draft because the best producers and the guys with the best tape, more often than not, are coming from the programs that used TEs the best...

at TE, bet on the traits, bet on the measurables

albert okwuegbunam is a great example from 2 classes ago

I wouldn't be surprised at all if I did some digging and found that TE is my least "correct" position group. A position I really struggle with and that's because the tape as you said is always not very representative of the skillset. In recent years, I think Kittle was probably one of my few hits there and still shocked other NFL teams didn't see that.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I wouldn't be surprised at all if I did some digging and found that TE is my least "correct" position group. A position I really struggle with and that's because the tape as you said is always not very representative of the skillset. In recent years, I think Kittle was probably one of my few hits there and still shocked other NFL teams didn't see that.

i think the drafting of the position tells you that it's one of the NFL's least "correct" position groups too lol

i've done a little digging on the typical ravens TE draft picks and we've taken 7 (not including waller) since that dickson/pitta draft

interesting that 6 of the 7 were double-dipped...

but there are 4 guys who fit a certain profile who have all been around 250lbs (Andrews 6lbs heavier, Pitta 5lbs lighter) and sub-4.7 (and in dickson's case sub-4.6) - and of the other 3, only Boyle has been a hit

"Athletic" guys: Dickson, Pitta, Hurst, Andrews
Heavier guys: Gillmore, Maxx, Boyle

if we want to throw in waller as well then he obviously fits into the "athletic" group albeit he was about 12lbs lighter but then he was also training to be a WR at that point (he's currently playing at around 255lbs)

unless you're looking specifically for a TE 3 blocker-type like Boyle (who literally ran an OL speed 40 lol), there's no point looking at guys who aren't notably athletic

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Chigoziem Okonkwo with the first fun TE time of 4.54 from Maryland...
I was watching his tape last night for the first time, the jump he took from his first to his last season is pretty absurd, he is a very multiple type of weapon and I like him as a slot and fullback in Roman’s offense, of course given Roman adapts his fb position to do much more receiving than they currently do(and I think ricard should’ve been used more as a receiver as well)

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I was watching his tape last night for the first time, the jump he took from his first to his last season is pretty absurd, he is a very multiple type of weapon and I like him as a slot and fullback in Roman’s offense, of course given Roman adapts his fb position to do much more receiving than they currently do(and I think ricard should’ve been used more as a receiver as well)

tbf to Roman, it's not like Ricard's always been a receiver lol - it's 1 thing to transition into a lead blocker but a whole other to become a receiver

you'd have to think that if we brought in someone like that, that they'd have some sort of idea of how to use him

but also he went even faster on his 2nd run - Schrager spoke to a load of GMs after he ran the 1st one and apparently everyone was like "wtf? didn't see that on the tape" lol

Simba

Staff Member
Literally never even noticed he was in the draft before today, but Jeremiah Hall might be my favorite player so far in the TE group. Not because he’s good, but because everything his does looks so unnatural that it’s hilarious. Everything is so clanky and exaggerated.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Literally never even noticed he was in the draft before today, but Jeremiah Hall might be my favorite player so far in the TE group. Not because he’s good, but because everything his does looks so unnatural that it’s hilarious. Everything is so clanky and exaggerated.

and literally just finished the drills by completely being unable to get his foot out of the ground or elevate for the ball lol