• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2023 General Draft Thoughts

rossihunter2

Staff Member
More than anything the Ravens badly need a stud on the d-line. A MLB would be good too, but isn't quite as pressing.

we've got some really nice pieces on the DL right now - but i would absolutely love to add a 1st round talent to the group

Madubuike who's an elite run defender and an ascending pass rusher
Michael Pierce who's one of the best NTs in the league right now (really sucks he got injured)
Travis Jones who's a very talented and exciting young NT

i'd love to find someone with high-end talent and traits who can make a living at 3t/5t

we wont have a shot at him but Jalen Carter would be a dream pick - that Georgia DL last year was stacked with talent and he might have been the best guy on that line (which included the 1st overall pick, an alien at NT and another 1st round pick who would have went even higher if he didnt have DV issues in his background)

there's nothing more defence changing than a true 3 down LB in the league - the problem is that there's very few guys who in this modern NFL you can really talk about in that way... Fred Warner is a game-changing type talent at that position but there just aren't that many guys who can do what he does

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The 2023 running back class is freaking stacked. Bijan, Gibbs, Corum, Bigsby just to name a few. I definitely see us drafting one to pair with JK.

i always get nervous about investing high picks at RB - and even with JK we're only gonna end up with just over 2 seasons of play from him by the end of his rookie deal

to have 2 high picks at that position on the roster at the same time would feel a little rough in terms of positional investment to me

not saying dont pick RBs but the first 2 rounds feels rich when we've already got JK on the roster

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
More than anything the Ravens badly need a stud on the d-line. A MLB would be good too, but isn't quite as pressing.
they have two up n coming studs. Madubuike who is almost there and Travis Jones. I still have a bunch of confidence in Oweh and can't wait to see Ojabo at work. Pierce is also under contract and he was such a terrible loss as he was playing at a very high level.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
they have two up n coming studs. Madubuike who is almost there and Travis Jones. I still have a bunch of confidence in Oweh and can't wait to see Ojabo at work. Pierce is also under contract and he was such a terrible loss as he was playing at a very high level.
Madubuike is a stud for sure, no argument there. For Jones, I was certainly a fan of his during the draft lead up, and I think he's going to be a good long term NT. But I don't want us fully depending on him taking the next step as a passrusher. As for Pierce, he has a bit of an injury history.

After those three you have Campbell who's a step away from retirement, and a bunch of guys unable to get ahead of a 36 year old on the depth chart. It's just a massive drop. In my opinion, the lack of depth and proper rotation up front among the DTs goes a long way in causing the defense to sputter out late in games, and lets teams get a chance to come back. Another young, good athlete up front lets us constantly switch guys in and out (guys that actually have an impact), and would be especially needed late in a season or at playoff time. The best defenses down the stretch tend to be those that keep the front guys fresh through a game and the season.

we've got some really nice pieces on the DL right now - but i would absolutely love to add a 1st round talent to the group

Madubuike who's an elite run defender and an ascending pass rusher
Michael Pierce who's one of the best NTs in the league right now (really sucks he got injured)
Travis Jones who's a very talented and exciting young NT

i'd love to find someone with high-end talent and traits who can make a living at 3t/5t

we wont have a shot at him but Jalen Carter would be a dream pick - that Georgia DL last year was stacked with talent and he might have been the best guy on that line (which included the 1st overall pick, an alien at NT and another 1st round pick who would have went even higher if he didnt have DV issues in his background)

there's nothing more defence changing than a true 3 down LB in the league - the problem is that there's very few guys who in this modern NFL you can really talk about in that way... Fred Warner is a game-changing type talent at that position but there just aren't that many guys who can do what he does
As far as LBs go, I badly want Noah Sewell. Great football IQ, solid speed (especially for his size), and his physically is something special. Not only a good every down LB, but someone who can really light a fire under people around him, similar to what Peters does in the secondary.

Bama Ravens

Veteran
I would give a lot up to replace Lamar Jackson with Bryce Young. Young has that magic ability, but can actually pass consistently. Also has a very high football IQ.

jdynamite

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’m really high on TCU WR Quentin Johnston listed at 6’4” 215 lbs, he’s a guy that could be in that mid to late 1st Rd unless he has an insane combine. I love the way he uses all 6’4” to snag jump balls, he’s a long strider.

Argentina Raven

Practice Squad
Well, let's get back to talking about prospects:
without analyzing too deeply 2 players that I can see in the Raven uniform:
Nt: Siaki Ika 6'2 360 lbs, a tank in the middle like the Ravens like, hard against the run with some skill as an inside rusher, with a little conditioning work he can be a great addition.
Drew Sanders Ilb/olb 6'5 240 lbs, has the type of flexibility that the Ravens like, good tackler, good rushing skills, would need to improve in coverage but his size next to Hamilton in the middle would be very dangerous for the qb rivals

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Can we tank next year for Marvin Harrison Jr? (after we win the super bowl this year)

Marving Harrison Jr is a monster
I would give a lot up to replace Lamar Jackson with Bryce Young. Young has that magic ability, but can actually pass consistently. Also has a very high football IQ.

this is nuts

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor

Bryce probably weighs 180. Dude is smaller than Kyler Murray

Bama Ravens

Veteran
Bryce probably weighs 180. Dude is smaller than Kyler Murray
He’s substantially better than Murray, though. I know I have a bias being an Alabama fan, but having seen every snap he’s played in college, he’s going to be a great pick for someone. He’s a special, special player

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
He’s substantially better than Murray, though. I know I have a bias being an Alabama fan, but having seen every snap he’s played in college, he’s going to be a great pick for someone. He’s a special, special player

No doubt he’s a talented passer. My only concern is his size. In the NFL, he’s gonna take those hits.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
He’s smaller than Murray? Sheesh

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Siaki Ika is someone I would love to add. The guy is an absolute monster at 6'4" 360, but he's not just some run stuffing NT. The guy is an ace hand fighter and really nimble for his size. He racks up a ton of pressures, always getting in QBs faces and destroying passing lanes. He's the type that makes the whole front seven look better even if he isn't the one getting the stats. He also just has a swagger that our front seven is missing.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Can we tank next year for Marvin Harrison Jr? (after we win the super bowl this year)
I've gotten around to looking at prospects while we were blowing out the Saints and man I'm barely into my 30's and all these kids of players I've watch growing up is insane. We have Joey Porter Jr, a top CB prospect in this year's draft and I'm like... damn all the players I've watched is already having kids enter the league.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I've gotten around to looking at prospects while we were blowing out the Saints and man I'm barely into my 30's and all these kids of players I've watch growing up is insane. We have Joey Porter Jr, a top CB prospect in this year's draft and I'm like... damn all the players I've watched is already having kids enter the league.
yeah, it's crazy how many kids are entering the league. I watched Darryl Stingley back in the day. He is the grandfather to Derek Stingley, Jr.