• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Important factors pertaining to Jets vs Ravens

Mainejet

Practice Squad
Before I go into my rant, I want everyone to know I think LJ is a hell of a player.

With that said, since LJ's MVP season, defenses have started to catch up with him. In 2019 he had 36 TD to 9 INT. Last season, and prior to his season ending injury, LJ had 16 TD to 13 INT.

Opposing defenses figured out that you must keep LJ in the pocket. LJ is not nearly as good of a QB when he's contained. It seems like this shouldn't work but believe it or not you should blitz LJ. When LJ is not blitzed, he runs one out of every 7 snaps and generally goes wild. When you blitz LJ, his run attempts plummets to just one out of every 50 snaps. Blitzing takes away LJ's scrambling ability.

Mark Andrew's is another big factor if the Jets plan to upset on opening day. The most recent and most impressive defensive performance I noticed in my study was Denver utilizing Patrick Surtain situational on Andrew's. In that game, Andrew's was held to less than 70 yards in the game. I think the Jets should put Bryce Hall man on Andrew's. Hall has pretty good size and despite him being a 5th round draft choice, Hall played borderline #1 CB football last season. The Jets should chip Andrew's at the LOS and never allow him a free release. Then have Hall pick him up in man coverage.

On offense, it's important for the Jets to establish the running game . It's common sense to know the Ravens will try to force Zach to win the game through the air relying on Zach's inexperience and immaturity to make mistakes when he's forced to win the game. The Jets OL must fight fire with fire. The Jets OL needs to play smash mouth football. Come out to start the game by hitting the Ravens in the mouth. It's a big ask considering how little the front 5 have played together. Chemistry takes time. Mekhi Becton will be starting at RT. Lakes Tomlinson is new to the unit. AVT will be going to RG with Becton. But make no mistake, the Jets DO have more than enough talent to impose their will on the Ravens front 7. The Jets need to run to the right side early and often. The duo of AVT and Becton has enormous upside. They didn't get to play much together last season as Becton went down for the season in the first game last year. However, AVT played excellent as a rookie. Now granted they're both being switched to the right side but Becton played All Pro Football in his rookie season neutralizing guys like Aaron Donald. So it'll be important to give the Ravens a good mix of Breece Hall and Michael Carter predominantly to the right side.

That's all I have so far. You're welcome to argue and I'm certain you will, but this is what I see as areas that the Ravens could be challenged......

Mainejet

Practice Squad
It's also important to know the Ravens had the very best ST in the NFL last season. However, the Jets led the league in average yards per return on kickoffs and punts. Braxton Berrios was an All Pro returner last season. He will be a very important X factor on opening day.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
One thing to understand is our OL has been downright awful the last two seasons, which contributed to Lamar's interceptions and last year he was forced to do everything on his own without having any decent running backs. This year should be much better. We should win the game, but I believe in any given sunday, especially week 1.

Good luck, you should have an improved team this season.

Mainejet

Practice Squad
One thing to understand is our OL has been downright awful the last two seasons, which contributed to Lamar's interceptions and last year he was forced to do everything on his own without having any decent running backs. This year should be much better. We should win the game, but I believe in any given sunday, especially week 1.

Good luck, you should have an improved team this season.
Well, did the GM make any FA additions? I know you guys drafted Linderbaum but he's only 290 unless you guys put him on a weight adding diet? On opening day I can't see him dominating Quinnen Williams. Q is in a contract year and he's definitely our best D lineman. I figure he'll dominate that match up. Depending on how dominant our OL can be.... can they get to the second level? If they do that should make things interesting.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Well, did the GM make any FA additions? I know you guys drafted Linderbaum but he's only 290 unless you guys put him on a weight adding diet? On opening day I can't see him dominating Quinnen Williams. Q is in a contract year and he's definitely our best D lineman. I figure he'll dominate that match up. Depending on how dominant our OL can be.... can they get to the second level? If they do that should make things interesting.
Tyler Linderbaum is around 306 and has athleticism that is off the charts. EDC signed Morgan Moses to take over as right tackle. It's about leverage and Linderbaum was a wrestler, but I don't think he be able to dominate Williams, that would be doubtful, but he won't make it easy for him. I'm a big Williams fan. I think it will be a good battle. Also we should be getting Ronnie Stanley back and that will improve the entire offensive line.

Last edited:

Mainejet

Practice Squad
Tyler Linderbaum is around 306 and has athleticism that is off the charts. EDC signed Morgan Moses to take over as right tackle. It's about leverage and Linderbaum was a wrestler, but I don't think he be able to dominate Williams, that would be doubtful, but he won't make it easy for him. I'm a big Williams fan. I think it will be a good battle. Also we should be getting Ronnie Stanley back and that will improve the entire offensive line.
Yeah, I forgot you guys signed Morgan Moses. He's not a great RT IMO but he's very reliable. He hasn't been injured in years. Linderbaum needs to put on weight and yes he will become a great player. I didn’t you guys lost Ronnie Stanley he's awesome.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Yeah, I forgot you guys signed Morgan Moses. He's not a great RT IMO but he's very reliable. He hasn't been injured in years. Linderbaum needs to put on weight and yes he will become a great player. I didn’t you guys lost Ronnie Stanley he's awesome.
we haven't had Ronnie Stanley in 1 1/2 yrs, plus at the end of the 2019 season Yanda retired. Zrebiec is a good replacement but not many players can replace a Yanda. I've watched Moses for years on the Washington team and he's an above average, yet unspectacular player. I'm happy to have someone who is ........ on the team. Anyway, fill in the blanks, because I don't want to jinx myself.

hint the word in your post.

Mainejet

Practice Squad
we haven't had Ronnie Stanley in 1 1/2 yrs, plus at the end of the 2019 season Yanda retired. Zrebiec is a good replacement but not many players can replace a Yanda. I've watched Moses for years on the Washington team and he's an above average, yet unspectacular player. I'm happy to have someone who is ........ on the team. Anyway, fill in the blanks, because I don't want to jinx myself.

Reliable????^_^

Mainejet

Practice Squad

It goes without saying that being healthy and on the field becomes just as important as the overall performance. If you're a top notch player but you're only healthy for 7 games a year, then you're not really that good. At that it behooves you to get a slightly less talented guy that's actually reliable.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
People look into things way too hard.

After the MVP season we lost 2 all pro o-linemen. Yanda retired and Stanley got hurt against the Steelers. That same team made it further than the previous year.

2 straight years of improvement. Last year everyone got hurt.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
We not losing to jets and zach wilson. We have natural run defense lol so yall gonna have to beat us threw the air regardless.. we would still win with our last yrs oline imo… might be better off putting sauce on andrews.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
we haven't had Ronnie Stanley in 1 1/2 yrs, plus at the end of the 2019 season Yanda retired. Zeitler is a good replacement but not many players can replace a Yanda. I've watched Moses for years on the Washington team and he's an above average, yet unspectacular player. I'm happy to have someone who is ........ on the team. Anyway, fill in the blanks, because I don't want to jinx myself.

Zrebiec huh, when did he become an OL?

Last edited by a moderator:

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Blitzing Lamar isn’t about keeping him from running, it’s about keeping him from doing anything at all. When you send 7+ against last years ravens OL we couldn’t do shit lol, and it’s not due to Lamar not running, it’s about Lamar having no pocket at all. Before the heavy blitz became the “blueprint” Lamar was passing at a really good rate aside from the Steelers and browns games really.

Basically, with what Lamar had to work with, no qb in the league would’ve fared well vs the blitz.

Mainejet

Practice Squad
We not losing to jets and zach wilson. We have natural run defense lol so yall gonna have to beat us threw the air regardless.. we would still win with our last yrs oline imo… might be better off putting sauce on andrews.
we'll see. I'm certainly not making any predictions but the fact is the Jets are a MUCH more talented team than they've been since 2010

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
we'll see. I'm certainly not making any predictions but the fact is the Jets are a MUCH more talented team than they've been since 2010
100% agree, but the Ravens are probably among the top 8 teams in the league. Does that mean they can't lose to the Jets absolutely not, but it's really not likely.