• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Important factors pertaining to Jets vs Ravens

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
we'll see. I'm certainly not making any predictions but the fact is the Jets are a MUCH more talented team than they've been since 2010

I don't think you'll get any arguments that the Jets aren't a much more talented team than they've been in years. They nailed the draft and it seems like things are finally heading in the right direction for them.

As for this game? I expect the Jets to put up a fight, but I think we'll have a lot to prove after how things went down last season with all the injuries. Regardless, I should be at this game in person so I'm super excited to see how it turns out.

Mainejet

Practice Squad
I don't think you'll get any arguments that the Jets aren't a much more talented team than they've been in years. They nailed the draft and it seems like things are finally heading in the right direction for them.

As for this game? I expect the Jets to put up a fight, but I think we'll have a lot to prove after how things went down last season with all the injuries. Regardless, I should be at this game in person so I'm super excited to see how it turns out.
Objectively speaking, the Jets are still slightly lacking at Linebacker (even after signing Kwon Alexander), Safety, and backup swing tackle. They've added a ton of talent but the cupboard was virtually bare just two seasons ago. My gut tells me it's too early for the Jets to start really competing. They just haven't played together enough to operate as one. But we'll see. I'm finally enthusiastic about the Jets turning things around and I haven't felt that way since 2010....

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Objectively speaking, the Jets are still slightly lacking at Linebacker (even after signing Kwon Alexander), Safety, and backup swing tackle. They've added a ton of talent but the cupboard was virtually bare just two seasons ago. My gut tells me it's too early for the Jets to start really competing. They just haven't played together enough to operate as one. But we'll see. I'm finally enthusiastic about the Jets turning things around and I haven't felt that way since 2010....
Well its too early for me to make predictions, but i'll say this... I think Zach Wilson sucks, and will never be good. So it goes without saying that, barring some sort of major injuries between now and then, I'm not super concerned.

Jets have made some good additions and some good draft picks, and I like what Douglas is doing overall. But I don't think Wilson is the guy. I don't know that he'll ever be better than Darnold, and I think in about two years, Jets will be in the market for a QB again. And until they get that right, I'm not sure anything else matters. Average is the ceiling, really bad is the floor.

Mainejet

Practice Squad
Well, so much for us having a chance against the Ravens....

The Jets were already in need of a backup swing tackle. Now that the Jets lost Mekhi Becton for yet another season we're pretty much screwed. JD has already said the process for signing Duane Brown is under way. However, that only finishes the starting 5. So honestly the Jets MUST sign 2 OL before training camp is over if they'll have any chance this season.....

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

The Jets were already in need of a backup swing tackle. Now that the Jets lost Mekhi Becton for yet another season we're pretty much screwed. JD has already said the process for signing Duane Brown is under way. However, that only finishes the starting 5. So honestly the Jets MUST sign 2 OL before training camp is over if they'll have any chance this season.....
I could be wrong, but again, I don't think Becton is the difference between the Jets being a good team and a bad team. Sucks to lose a starter no matter who it is, but he's just not a difference maker at all in my eyes.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

sorry about the loss of Beckton and any injury. We as Ravens fans completely understand that.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

sucks that mekhi got another injury - i saw all the stuff of how hard he was working to come back all offseason and he really had a great year as a rookie

but we know all about injuries at that position - we'll see if our starting LT plays in week 1, Ronnie Stanley's still on PUP and the hope (and still the expectation) is he plays week 1 but it's possible he's not ready yet after missing the best part of 2 years

Mainejet

Practice Squad
Well, the Jets just signed Duane Brown. He's a 5 time pro bowler and played all 17 games last season. Hasn't missed any games since 2019. I think this move puts the Jets back even with where they were before Becton’s injury. However, they still need a backup swing tackle. Without that I still see plenty of room for disaster. Max Mitchell is not ready to start. He needs a season or more practicing. Chuma Edoga just plain SUCKS and I'd imagine he's going to get cut. So if they sign another OL I would feel much more comfortable about their chances. They're fighting an uphill battle but I think the Jets are better than people are giving credit for, including purpleflock.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Well, the Jets just signed Duane Brown. He's a 5 time pro bowler and played all 17 games last season. Hasn't missed any games since 2019. I think this move puts the Jets back even with where they were before Becton’s injury. However, they still need a backup swing tackle. Without that I still see plenty of room for disaster. Max Mitchell is not ready to start. He needs a season or more practicing. Chuma Edoga just plain SUCKS and I'd imagine he's going to get cut. So if they sign another OL I would feel much more comfortable about their chances. They're fighting an uphill battle but I think the Jets are better than people are giving credit for, including purpleflock.

what makes you think max mitchell isnt ready to go?
to me he looked like one of the more immediately pro-ready tackles in the whole draft

and you keep talking about us like we are disrespecting the jets - this forum's actually pretty bullish generally on the jets roster right now (outside of zach wilson)

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
to me he looked like one of the more immediately pro-ready tackles in the whole draft

and you keep talking about us like we are disrespecting the jets - this forum's actually pretty bullish generally on the jets roster right now (outside of zach wilson)
Lol so true. I don't know how many people on here have literally acknowledged that plethora of really good moves the Jets have made. They aren't going to win the superbowl next year, but they are going to be much improved.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

totally agree about Max Mitchell. Big fan of his.

Mainejet

Practice Squad

Because I watch Jets practice everyday.

Your eyes tell you the truth. Max Mitchell is consistently getting beaten on each and almost every play. He is currently NOT a good OL. I think he has a lot of potential. I think he can, in time, be a starting RT for the Jets. But right now there's no doubt in my mind, Mitchell is not even good backup material. He needs to add strength and learn more coaching about technique. He's a Supreme athlete and still he's simply not cutting it on any level.

Mainejet

Practice Squad
Lol so true. I don't know how many people on here have literally acknowledged that plethora of really good moves the Jets have made. They aren't going to win the superbowl next year, but they are going to be much improved.
They still have holes and it's really that simple. I know my team and objectively I will tell you they are still lacking at Linebacker, Safety, and backup swing Tackle. In football if you're missing 3 players you're a world away from getting to the playoffs. That's a fact for the most part. If you're missing 3 players, some would say you're in rebuilding mode. This is to say nothing about the general overall lack of chemistry. There are many new faces and they simply haven't worked together enough.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
They still have holes and it's really that simple. I know my team and objectively I will tell you they are still lacking at Linebacker, Safety, and backup swing Tackle. In football if you're missing 3 players you're a world away from getting to the playoffs. That's a fact for the most part. If you're missing 3 players, some would say you're in rebuilding mode. This is to say nothing about the general overall lack of chemistry. There are many new faces and they simply haven't worked together enough.

i dont think that's true at all lol
no team, even the great ones, is not lacking at some position or at least taking some risks with their investment at a position

the bills have probably the best roster in the nfl right now and probably the only team that i dont see at least 3 holes/questions for... id say personally the chargers have the 2nd best roster and they're looking at at least 3 holes/questions this year

and none of this takes into account reliance on high pick rookies and high value free-agents to fill in at key positions

Mainejet

Practice Squad
Well, Zach played like shit thrown into a dumpster fire in the Eagles game on Friday. I'm glad it's still the preseason but his accuracy was terrible and he missed a few open receivers and the passes he threw weren't even close. Then he stared down his intended receiver when he threw the interception. He initially did not look even close to how he closed his rookie campaign. In the last 5 games of his rookie season he had great ball security.

So all things considered he at least initially reverted back to being a rookie. After the interception he started to put a few good plays together mostly on timing patterns. Tyler Conklin was his friend as was Garrett Wilson, and Elijah Moore. But then the injury happened and quite frankly that happened because he was trying to do too much. And honestly that's probably the biggest criticism that I have of him. It's like he thinks in his head that he needs to be Peyton Manning and singlehandedly win the game. That's clear immaturity and needs to work through that. Rather than cutting back inside he should have just run out out of bounds and live for another play. Saleh made it clear he should have simply gone out of bounds and I agree.

So he's on the shelf for 2 to 4 weeks with a bone bruise and torn meniscus. He's having arthroscopic surgery and I'd imagine that will happen tomorrow. Don't ask me how the hell he got a bone bruise on a non-contact injury?

The general prognosis says he'll be back in time for the Ravens game. We're still 39 days away from the opener. But I think him not practicing really puts the Jets in an even more less than advantageous position. So honestly it's not looking good for the Jets and their chances of winning on opening day.

Mainejet

Practice Squad
i dont think that's true at all lol
no team, even the great ones, is not lacking at some position or at least taking some risks with their investment at a position

the bills have probably the best roster in the nfl right now and probably the only team that i dont see at least 3 holes/questions for... id say personally the chargers have the 2nd best roster and they're looking at at least 3 holes/questions this year

and none of this takes into account reliance on high pick rookies and high value free-agents to fill in at key positions
All of those examples still have a large amount of veteran play. The Jets don't have that. There's a lot of new faces and that takes time to operate as a unit. Don't forget the CS is in their second year and doesn't exactly bode well when you're facing John Harbaugh. This is to say nothing about how they generally played in their first preseason game. Well, their starting units on both sides of the ball were straight up horrible. The defense got torched on the Eagles opening drive. To exacerbate an already bad situation Quincy Williams committed a fucking cheap shot late hit on Jalen Hurts. Saleh was visibly pissed about that but he did NOT pull Williams. I think any experienced HC would have immediately benched him for that. The OL play was awful as well and Max Mitchell was really getting pushed around as George Fant did not play....

Mainejet

Practice Squad
I could be wrong, but again, I don't think Becton is the difference between the Jets being a good team and a bad team. Sucks to lose a starter no matter who it is, but he's just not a difference maker at all in my eyes.
He definitely doesn't hurt when he's in there - that much I can tell you with no uncertainty. Becton was a straight up fucking ANIMAL in his rookie season. It's always nice when you have a guy that goes by the name "highway 77" on your team. Most media thought besides Zach Wilson that Mekhi Becton was the key to the Jets having a better season and I generally agree. The NFL is a QB driven league but you win games in the trenches.....