• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2018 Baltimore Orioles

I will age myself with this comment, but the first thing I can even remember about baseball was Frank Robinson joining the Orioles. I remember asking my mom if he was Brooks' brother lol ... and didn't understand why everyone laughed so hard.

I'll always remember this catch he made in Yankee stadium (pardon the grainy video ... I'm surprised there is even an available clip of it)

We used to play curb ball, where you whack rubber ball off of one curb and there's a kid in the street trying to catch it for an out. If the ball went to the opposite sidewalk it was a homer. The rule was fielder had to keep his feet in the street and couldn't go up on the opposite sidewalk to make the catch. This one kid would jump from the street, catch the ball and land on the sidewalk. We'd complain that was illegal and he would say "Just like Frank Robinson".

Stupid story - but you know when you're a kid, some of these silly memories just stick.

Frank Robinson for Milt Papas will go down as one of the worst (or best) trades in baseball history. Frank helped transformed a very good team into a 4 time AL champ and 2 time WS champ. The year he arrived, he only went on to win a triple crown and was WS MVP.

I believe he is still the only player to win an MVP in both leagues - which was remarkable when it happened because there was no free agency and guys almost always stayed in their league ... and teams generally weren't stupid enough to trade away MVP level players.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Frank Robinson for Milt Papas will go down as one of the worst (or best) trades in baseball history. Frank helped transformed a very good team into a 4 time AL champ and 2 time WS champ. The year he arrived, he only went on to win a triple crown and was WS MVP.

I believe he is still the only player to win an MVP in both leagues - which was remarkable when it happened because there was no free agency and guys almost always stayed in their league ... and teams generally weren't stupid enough to trade away MVP level players.

This trade kept us dominant for a long time. I don't remember Frank playing. Came into watching baseball in the mid 70's where my first favorite player was Lee May. Loved the way he just stood at the plate keeping the bat straight while wiggling it viciously. The Bee Al Bumbry was another favorite then later on of course the Dipper but man I also really liked John Lowenstein. Him and Roenicke as a combo was simply unbelievable. That Robinson trade tho is what I believe really started all this. Then came the Glen Davis trade. Ugh. Trading away 3 pitchers that all became stars. So hopefully the Machado/Britton trades will again work in our favor. Well anyways the 70's and 80's were a great time to be an O's fan.

This trade kept us dominant for a long time. I don't remember Frank playing. Came into watching baseball in the mid 70's where my first favorite player was Lee May. Loved the way he just stood at the plate keeping the bat straight while wiggling it viciously. The Bee Al Bumbry was another favorite then later on of course the Dipper but man I also really liked John Lowenstein. Him and Roenicke as a combo was simply unbelievable. That Robinson trade tho is what I believe really started all this. Then came the Glen Davis trade. Ugh. Trading away 3 pitchers that all became stars. So hopefully the Machado/Britton trades will again work in our favor. Well anyways the 70's and 80's were a great time to be an O's fan.
Another catalyst to the run that started in 1966 and the guy who was present for the entire stretch of the glory years that went through to the 1983 championship was Palmer. Sometimes I feel like he doesn’t get the credit he deserves.

My all time favorite team will always be the 1979 team. I think I attended more games that year than any other. They had so many thrilling come from behind wins. Just wish they could have finished the deal. That WS loss is probably the most painful sports defeat ever for me.

But today is about Frank. The judge who presided over the kangaroo court. One of the pioneer black superstar players from the 50s and the leagues first black manager. He should be well remembered.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Manny to the Padres.

Machado's deal is a 10 year $300M contract. The largest free agent deal since Chris Davis signed his 7 year $161M contract with us in January 2016.

Mark Feinsand‏Verified account @Feinsand
BREAKING: Manny Machado has agreed to terms on a deal with the Padres. According to a league source, it’s for 10 years and $300 million - the biggest free-agent contract in the history of American sports.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Machado's deal is a 10 year $300M contract. The largest free agent deal since Chris Davis signed his 7 year $161M contract with us in January 2016.

Mark Feinsand‏Verified account @Feinsand
BREAKING: Manny Machado has agreed to terms on a deal with the Padres. According to a league source, it’s for 10 years and $300 million - the biggest free-agent contract in the history of American sports.

Sorry he's a great player but he damn sure aint worth that.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Are any of them worth what they get? It’s the price of rice and right place, right player, right time.

Yeah I know. It just kind of grates at me tho especially when I feel he's a selfish player.

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
300 million to play baseball in beautiful San Diego. You would imagine to get all that money you would have to go play in Antarctica or Somalia.