• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

NBA Thread

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I think Steph Curry is pretty overrated.

He's got such a strong starting line up and the ability of his team to just set screens and leave him wide open for threes is unreal. Shoot, even I could probably shoot 33% with all the looks he's getting and I've never played competitive basketball in my life.

And his defense is so overrated. Bad on ball defender who gains the benefit of having strong on ball players (Iggy, Draymond) to allow him to "play free safety" and just go for steals. Put him man to man with Irving and he'll get shredded. Guarantee Klay is going to have to match Irving because Curry definitely isn't up for it.

usmccharles

Practice Squad

He's got such a strong starting line up and the ability of his team to just set screens and leave him wide open for threes is unreal. Shoot, even I could probably shoot 33% with all the looks he's getting and I've never played competitive basketball in my life.

And his defense is so overrated. Bad on ball defender who gains the benefit of having strong on ball players (Iggy, Draymond) to allow him to "play free safety" and just go for steals. Put him man to man with Irving and he'll get shredded. Guarantee Klay is going to have to match Irving because Curry definitely isn't up for it.
Completely agree.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer

I think Curry the person is one of the nicest celebrities I've ever met. So I like him a bunch. I can't disagree with the overrated part, but for totally different reasons. The Jordan comparisons last year were a bit much, and the idiots who said he was better than an in his prime Kobe Bryant honestly cracked me up.

As a guy who has seen a ton of NBA basketball though. He's actually that good of a shooter. While he does get a lot of open looks, half of his shots(that do go in) are incredibly idiotic and show poor fundamentals. Yet, they go in anyway. Also, he's probably one of the better finishers around the rim at the PG spot. Not as good as Kyrie or Westbrook, but easily one of the better ones.

He's a much better help defender than on ball. He's straight up not athletic enough to keep up with the quicker guards in the league.

So is he overrated? Yes! Easily. He's not even on Steve Nash's level yet imo, let alone Kobe or Jordan. Top 10 player in the world? Absolutely. I'd take the following over Curry and not much else.
Lebron
KD(upon hearing a player is better than him he left this post to go join the Cleveland Cavaliers)
Anthony Davis
Kawhi Leonard
Russell Westbrook

And that's it tbh.

But Curry gets a pass this go around from me. Warriors need to lose, and KD needs to choke hard.
[doublepost=1495996560,1495985146][/doublepost]
Opinions are opinions and I respect that. KD has probably turned into one of those people your either love or hate.
No worries though, the Sixers taking home the championship next year. :lol:
If the sixers draft Fox I could see it. Embiid should be the best center in the NBA next year, and Simmons is a very good passer.

Oh, and further proof that the NBA is rigged. The three most storied franchises in NBA history have the #1, 2, and 3 picks next year.

Celtics will likely trade that for star, but if not Fultz is a potential superstar going forward
Lakers will move Russell to the 2, and draft Ball who fits that offense like a glove and has the potential to develop into Jason Kidd 2.0 minus the personality issues(well. His dad has those issues, but man. Lonzo is a talent). This gives the Lakers a lineup of Ball-Russell-Ingram-Randle-Zubac going forward, and 4/5 are unselfish players and good passers while Russell and Ingram have all star potential as scorers.
Sixers probably take Josh Jackson, who is a good talent, but not the right player imo. They'd be better off with Fox, who is a good distributor, and passer with out of this world athletic ability. Combine this with Simmons, Embiid, and Saric, and you have a potentially promising squad moving forward.

RavensPunkXVX

Pro Bowler
My prediction is that the Sixers will make the playoffs. I'm a Sixers fan and this is the most stacked team I've seen in awhile. They're young, but very talented. Simmons, Fox/Monk, Saric, Embiid. A very very solid core. Plus, they have some depth with people not many knew about in guys like Covington. Lowry has been linked to the Sixers as well.

I'm pretty excited. Best group since the Young, Igodoula, Hawes, Lou Williams group.

I think the Philly will start becoming a nice market again for free agents too.

Pats

Veteran
The NBA has the worst playoffs year after year. The exact opposite of the NHL. You can predict the winners before a ball is bounced

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I know that it is just game one and that they are on the road but the Cavaliers are getting skull dragged by GS! :wacko:

GS looks like a super team. Damn!

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
"Hi. I'm KD. I took the easy way out and joined an already established super team to essentially skull-fuck the NBA, rather than having gone to a team that could beat Lebron in the east. Now I'm dominating because the offense has 3 of the best scores in the NBA, and have practically guaranteed myself a ring"

I hope you blow another 3-1 lead KD

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I listened to the game off and on (it was on the whole time) and it sounds like LBJ had a typical day, but Irving and Love flat out struggled to match the Warriors. Draymond had a hell of a night defensively.

Sound about right?

RavensPunkXVX

Pro Bowler
Draymond is an outstanding defensive player. I hope KD wins just so everyone is pissed. Devils advocate.

I also saw that he said he would be willing to take less money to keep the core group together next year as well.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I listened to the game off and on (it was on the whole time) and it sounds like LBJ had a typical day, but Irving and Love flat out struggled to match the Warriors. Draymond had a hell of a night defensively.

Sound about right?
I'd say Kyrie played the worst of the big three. Love had 21 boards and wasn't great defensively, but he didn't shit the bed or anything. Lebron didn't have a typical dominant day. The stat line might indicate it but a lot of his turnovers were mindbogglingly stupid.

The Cavs shit the bed. Their role players didn't do jack.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Hmmm. The Cavs want to run with the LOLRIORRS.

Fuck that. Slow the game down. That's the only way you're gonna beat them.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
"Hi. I'm KD. I took the easy way out and joined an already established super team to essentially skull-fuck the NBA, rather than having gone to a team that could beat Lebron in the east. Now I'm dominating because the offense has 3 of the best scores in the NBA, and have practically guaranteed myself a ring"

I hope you blow another 3-1 lead KD

Most of the Warriors talent is homegrown. You're telling me that if we had drafted a stacked squad and a all time great FA is available, you're not making a move to get him? And if you're that FA, why go to another team? No point in joining some scrubs if you're actually leaving your original squad. I guarantee you if the Cavs had any chance to sign him, they would have been in hot pursuit. So now people want to judge to Warriors for building the right way and just being in a perfect position to land one of the best NBA FAs ever? The people you can blame most for this move are probably LeBron, the Thunder GM who let Harden go, and Westrook for his style of play. This is our generations Showtime Lakers.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Hmmm. The Cavs want to run with the LOLRIORRS.

Fuck that. Slow the game down. That's the only way you're gonna beat them.

They're getting swept in blowout fashion if they keep this up. It also doesn't help when Kyrie doesn't show up and LeBron getting WORKED on defense

Most of the Warriors talent is homegrown. You're telling me that if we had drafted a stacked squad and a all time great FA is available, you're not making a move to get him? And if you're that FA, why go to another team? No point in joining some scrubs if you're actually leaving your original squad. I guarantee you if the Cavs had any chance to sign him, they would have been in hot pursuit. So now people want to judge to Warriors for building the right way and just being in a perfect position to land one of the best NBA FAs ever? The people you can blame most for this move are probably LeBron, the Thunder GM who let Harden go, and Westrook for his style of play. This is our generations Showtime Lakers.

Man......the big 3 of OKC (KD, Westbrook, Harden) vs GS would've been great to watch. That being said, I don't blame them for going after KD. For me, it's not that I have a problem with KD leaving OKC. It's him going to GS when they (OKC) were up 3-1 against GS and had a chance to win in 6 if not for KD (and Westbrook) choking of biblical proportions. I always wondered if KD would've left OKC if they won the chip.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
They're getting swept in blowout fashion if they keep this up. It also doesn't help when Kyrie doesn't show up and LeBron getting WORKED on defense

Man......the big 3 of OKC (KD, Westbrook, Harden) vs GS would've been great to watch. That being said, I don't blame them for going after KD. For me, it's not that I have a problem with KD leaving OKC. It's him going to GS when they (OKC) were up 3-1 against GS and had a chance to win in 6 if not for KD (and Westbrook) choking of biblical proportions. I always wondered if KD would've left OKC if they won the chip.

Highly doubt he goes there if Thunder win a chip or GS wins. Who knows though. My point is, the goal has shifted to either players want to win rings or make money. Very rare players will tough it out with the team that drafted them. Also, these same franchises have no loyalty so why should the players. People tend to forget Kobe threatened to leave if the FO didn't get him help. I love watching the Warriors play and I guarantee there's times during games where even the opposition is amazed by the style of ball they play. Watching this then having to watch my Knicks is like going from lobster tail and filet mignon to waffle house.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I'm not criticizing Bob Meyers in anyway at all. He's a hell of a gm. Of course he'd sign KD. Our issue is that he took the easy way out. KD went to a super stacked team to ensure he wins five consecutive finals. If you're the Warriors in that position of course you're going to do that.

Screw KD. Notice how I'm not hating on Steph, Klay, etc.

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
I'm not criticizing Bob Meyers in anyway at all. He's a hell of a gm. Of course he'd sign KD. Our issue is that he took the easy way out. KD went to a super stacked team to ensure he wins five consecutive finals. If you're the Warriors in that position of course you're going to do that.

Screw KD. Notice how I'm not hating on Steph, Klay, etc.
I agree as I think it's a fair distinction in this case in that the signing of Durant and Durant's choice to sign are to be judged separately. The Warriors were already a clear title contender with their current roster at the time, so it wasn't akin to a players joining forces in order to compete because they couldn't otherwise, thus they're practically blameless as an organization since all they did was add to the highly talented roster. On Durant's side, the choice to leave the only team he's ever known for the team he played his final game against is worth critiquing.