• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar, The Running Game and The Defensive Collapse

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
lol kkokkolololllllllllkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkokkkkokkkkkkkkk
1663800438686.jpeg

A1A

Veteran
Wooooosah. Harbs is legit, its just one game
No its not just one game this is the norm now....giving up leads in the 4th, getting out coached, horrible time management, etc. I watched the Colts vs Jags and a big reason the Jags controlled that game is that they wore the entire play clock down to 1 sec every time they had the ball. We were throwing bombs in the 4th with 20 secs on the play clock like wtf is that? Even if we went 3 and out but wore the clock down to 1 sec a few times wouldn't that be like a min and 15 secs?? Idk, what I do know is they scored the game winning TD with 8 secs left....it's not rocket science.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
No its not just one game this is the norm now....giving up leads in the 4th, getting out coached, horrible time management, etc. I watched the Colts vs Jags and a big reason the Jags controlled that game is that they wore the entire play clock down to 1 sec every time they had the ball. We were throwing bombs in the 4th with 20 secs on the play clock like wtf is that? Even if we went 3 and out but wore the clock down to 1 sec a few times wouldn't that be like a min and 15 secs?? Idk, what I do know is they scored the game winning TD with 8 secs left....it's not rocket science.
Holy fucking shit we complain and wanna fire Roman every single time the play clock gets to 2 but now the jags are the gold standard because they won one game and ran down the clock lmfao.

That’s not how football works. The jags didn’t control that game because they ran the clock, they controlled it because they scored a lot and played good defense. The ravens controlled that game when they were passing, and they lost control of it when they tried to run the clock and ended up punting again and again.

Did you even watch the game?

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Holy fucking shit we complain and wanna fire Roman every single time the play clock gets to 2 but now the jags are the gold standard because they won one game and ran down the clock lmfao.

That’s not how football works. The jags didn’t control that game because they ran the clock, they controlled it because they scored a lot and played good defense. The ravens controlled that game when they were passing, and they lost control of it when they tried to run the clock and ended up punting again and again.

Did you even watch the game?
That's the way I saw it as well!

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
He’s sorry he let you down @Sizzle. Please give him another chance.

It was a learning moment for him I think. He just came from college where he made a shit ton of plays by playing with anticipation and making the right decisions when he did. In the NFL there is more conflict when you try to anticipate where the ball is going, in college when you see that over route as a safety you can often jump it and make a play, McDaniel did what a good playcaller, he created conflict for a deep half safety, baited him to make a play, and made him pay for it.

You can’t expect a top tier playcaller like mike McDaniel, when given guys like hill and waddle and gesicki, to NOT go after a rookie safety playing a deep half/third. If McDaniel wants the dolphins to score quick for a comeback he’s gonna have to beat some safeties deep and he’s damn sure not having luck beating Marcus Williams. Hamilton will adjust, hopefully he’s learned that job #1 as a safety playing a shell is to not get beat deep, everything else is just gravy.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
This doesn't take away from the fact that our guys are missing blocks and TEs suck and the running backs suck, but this has been what I've been saying about the run game. I'm sure in years past, Lamar's legs and the consistency of calling plays for him made the run game so much easier. He's just not doing it this year.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
This doesn't take away from the fact that our guys are missing blocks and TEs suck and the running backs suck, but this has been what I've been saying about the run game. I'm sure in years past, Lamar's legs and the consistency of calling plays for him made the run game so much easier. He's just not doing it this year.

there's definitely something to that for sure - but it's not like every time we've run option looks we've had success albeit those have been the boom plays or the plays where if 1 guy makes a block lamar could have another house call

hopefully JK and Ronnie and Boyle can help this running game enough to lift it out of the lower echelons of the league but i dont think it needs to be the dominant feature of our offence like it was in 2019 and 2020

and ill happily sacrifice a bit of run game efficiency for what this passing game has been so far... if the price of under centre pass snaps is less option running then honestly that's fine... as long as we continue to be pass heavy in neutral situations and defences continue to give us loaded 8 man boxes

bateman and andrews are winning their matchups consistently and enough other guys are contributing alongside those 2 right now

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
there's definitely something to that for sure - but it's not like every time we've run option looks we've had success albeit those have been the boom plays or the plays where if 1 guy makes a block lamar could have another house call

hopefully JK and Ronnie and Boyle can help this running game enough to lift it out of the lower echelons of the league but i dont think it needs to be the dominant feature of our offence like it was in 2019 and 2020

and ill happily sacrifice a bit of run game efficiency for what this passing game has been so far... if the price of under centre pass snaps is less option running then honestly that's fine... as long as we continue to be pass heavy in neutral situations and defences continue to give us loaded 8 man boxes

bateman and andrews are winning their matchups consistently and enough other guys are contributing alongside those 2 right now
Totally agree with this, but we have to get the run game like top 12-13 I think to have a chance at a SB. I'm all for the switch to a higher passing game but the run game has to be EFFICIENT. Pick up short yardage when we need it, and burn the clock late in games.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Totally agree with this, but we have to get the run game like top 12-13 I think to have a chance at a SB. I'm all for the switch to a higher passing game but the run game has to be EFFICIENT. Pick up short yardage when we need it, and burn the clock late in games.

You’re thinking Super Bowl, I’m thinking just get into the playoffs. The way this team blew it against the Dolphins made us look like we could be on the outside looking in

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
You’re thinking Super Bowl, I’m thinking just get into the playoffs. The way this team blew it against the Dolphins made us look like we could be on the outside looking in
If they play like that even somewhat consistently then they may be. However whether I'm right or wrong, I don't see them playing like that consistently. I've said it for weeks before the season, this team has to weather the first half of the season to peak in the second half once the reinforcements come in and the rookies progress.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i think that would be ideal but idk that it's crucial to the team's success to have a running game be able to dominate 8 man boxes (which is what we'll see if we're trying to salt away leads with it)

as long as the running game can be successful when the defence drops that defender out of the box or puts in lighter personnel - we'll have a real problem if teams start dropping defenders out of the box and we cant punish them for it on the ground but we saw in the jets game that when the jets gave us lighter boxes we were able to run on them a little bit

the stat that they mays and tice gave us there about kenyan drake runs being into an 8 man box over 50% of the time and the 2nd highest in the NFL was only just around 40% is telling

in 2019 we could probably run into a 9 man box but the difference was we had ronnie stanley, marshal yanda, orlando with bradley bozeman pulling and nick boyle at the peak of his powers and pat ricard still around... and also lamar - but looking back that OL was special