• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar, The Running Game and The Defensive Collapse

Charm City

Pro Bowler
You don't go up as big as we did as early as we did if you're a bad team. We'll shake it off and learn. Pass blocking looked great against a pretty good front 7 and Lamar carved up a good secondary.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
There were going to be growing pains for a secondary with a bunch of new pieces, especially when you're going against Hill and Waddle. To me the bigger issue on defense continues to be lack of pressure.

And thankfully the rest of the AFCN sucks this week as well.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
If the defense holds or the run game isnt utter dumpster juice we win this game. I dont see any of those things just magically turning around soon. The defense should hopefully have it worked it out by midseason but I dont see the run game just improving.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
It’s a week to week league year yall, we’re working out kinks, still got injuries were waiting on, fine tuning and what not.

Good news is this, Lamar is playing spectacular ball through 2 weeks, the OL is pass protecting pretty well, Bateman looks like a stud, Marcus Williams on his way to the DPOY race at this rate, pat mekari and linderbaum have been stellar on the OL, all this and our roster is still missing a huge chunk of its best talent or they’re on a snap count. We’ve been notoriously bad in week 2 and that sucks but hey we’ve recovered from this many times

it's a long season
but just frustrating that we let one get away when we had a 21 point lead - AFC is stacked, would hate to be looking back at this game in week 2 thinking "what if"

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
do you think it's that easy to find an elite franchise QB like Lamar. Cap space means absolutely nothing without a very good if not elite QB.
I don’t agree, he wants the Watson deal, and unless the cap gets seriously raised, if our injured players are just not the same player when they come back, we have too many holes to fill to be competitive anyway. If fact if Lamar has a decent year but we fall short in the playoffs, we will not be drafting high. Lamar will probably want more than the Watson deal after the season. I say tag him, especially if these serious injuries continue to pile up during the season.

Lamar is elite, but it’s a team sport, and for the insane contract he wants, that kind of cap hit is just way too hindering.

We still have injuries at key positions.
We still have too many communication issues and blown coverages.
Our run game still trash.
Our pass rush still sucks.

Seems like we haven't solved any of the 2021 season issues.
New Coordinators, New coaches, New players same issues.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Credit to both team's offenses. Both teams defense's were garbage
This is the thing that makes me angry most. If both defenses sucked the whole 60 minutes and we lost, ok fine whatever. Blowing that huge lead when the defense was playing so good in the first half is what got me, like come on a Falcon and Raven are two different birds.

Have to wonder where the miscommunication is coming from in the secondary, new DC and we still have that problem.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I don’t agree, he wants the Watson deal, and unless the cap gets seriously raised, if our injured players are just not the same player when they come back, we have too many holes to fill to be competitive anyway. If fact if Lamar has a decent year but we fall short in the playoffs, we will not be drafting high. Lamar will probably want more than the Watson deal after the season. I say tag him, especially if these serious injuries continue to pile up during the season.

Lamar is elite, but it’s a team sport, and for the insane contract he wants, that kind of cap hit is just way too hindering.
My friend, the only reason we were in the game today was because of Lamar

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
If the defense holds or the run game isnt utter dumpster juice we win this game. I dont see any of those things just magically turning around soon. The defense should hopefully have it worked it out by midseason but I dont see the run game just improving.
I am hoping that holding back Dobbins this week was just what he needed to ensure he has no setbacks and is extra healthy since not playing in this game, to turn and burn next Sunday.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
This is the thing that makes me angry most. If both defenses sucked the whole 60 minutes and we lost, ok fine whatever. Blowing that huge lead when the defense was playing so good in the first half is what got me, like come on a Falcon and Raven are two different birds.

Have to wonder where the miscommunication is coming from in the secondary, new DC and we still have that problem.
It's pretty much tied to the ilack of pass rush and njuriesa. On top the rookies were playing all over the place instead of in roles that fit their skill set and put them in positions to succeed.