• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2018 NFL Draft

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I had rosen and mayfield 1A and 1B, Jackson 3, darnold 4, then I had guys like falk over Allen.

I didn’t like darnold much, and I hated Allen and Rudolph.

to add perspective - i had rosen at 3, mayfield at 6, Darnold at 7, Jackson at 15

I had Allen at 20 but in hindsight i wish id had the cajones to rank him lower (i guess i bought into the hype somewhat) - rudolph ended up at 73, mike white at 88 and luke falk at 89...

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Allen reminds me of Boller, and that really worries me. He could end up good, but I'll believe it when I see it.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Allen reminds me of Boller, and that really worries me. He could end up good, but I'll believe it when I see it.
boller is a fucking dead-on comparison, except that allen is less likely to trip and fall. allen plays with the same panic that boller played with, allen doesnt play with urgency or intensity like a baker mayfield, just straight up panic, everything he does is rushed. boller had some speed and big body and he was able to buy time by rolling out of the pocket at times, but he always did it prematurely and panicked just like allen.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
to add perspective - i had rosen at 3, mayfield at 6, Darnold at 7, Jackson at 15

I had Allen at 20 but in hindsight i wish id had the cajones to rank him lower (i guess i bought into the hype somewhat) - rudolph ended up at 73, mike white at 88 and luke falk at 89...
I also wish I had Allen ranked lower....
Allen seems to be a good kid, but he's got a tough start ahead of him. below average offensive line, questionable receiving corps at least he's got McCoy. Juan Castillo as a run game coordinator ugh, Daboll as OC??? No experienced veteran QB.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I also wish I had Allen ranked lower....
Allen seems to be a good kid, but he's got a tough start ahead of him. below average offensive line, questionable receiving corps at least he's got McCoy. Juan Castillo as a run game coordinator ugh, Daboll as OC??? No experienced veteran QB.

i think its telling that the cognoscenti isnt sure he'll beat out mccarron for week 1 - this is the same mccarron who never even came close to competing for a start on the bengals whose incumbent was andy dalton - i think that's pretty telling

I had a fourth round grade on Josh Allen and have a feeling that I will not regret that
I think if you look at if from an analytics side, he’s fourth a round talent at best. I honestly have no idea why he received the hype he did. Sure he’s got a cannon of an arm but he’s got zero touch. I remember seeing some tweet about how Allen had easily the worst deep throw completion percentage of the top 5 prospects, which is hilarious for a guy with the strongest arm. Everyone wanted to compare him to wentz, yet wentz was actually good and dominated at that level. Allen was mediocre as shit. Plus the dude had a lower completion percentage than many of the guys drafted after him with less drops.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I think if you look at if from an analytics side, he’s fourth a round talent at best. I honestly have no idea why he received the hype he did. Sure he’s got a cannon of an arm but he’s got zero touch. I remember seeing some tweet about how Allen had easily the worst deep throw completion percentage of the top 5 prospects, which is hilarious for a guy with the strongest arm. Everyone wanted to compare him to wentz, yet wentz was actually good and dominated at that level. Allen was mediocre as shit. Plus the dude had a lower completion percentage than many of the guys drafted after him with less drops.
Fuck analytics and fuck his arm. I saw a fourth round prospect at best on film with that shit pocket presence, inability to throw accurately, and just low football IQ. Comparing him to Boller is rude. Boller was a below average QB. Allen has the potential to be the biggest bust at qb since Jamarcus Russell and he couldn’t have gone to a worse situation. Buffalo might legit have the worst team in the league next year.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Fuck analytics and fuck his arm. I saw a fourth round prospect at best on film with that shit pocket presence, inability to throw accurately, and just low football IQ. Comparing him to Boller is rude. Boller was a below average QB. Allen has the potential to be the biggest bust at qb since Jamarcus Russell and he couldn’t have gone to a worse situation. Buffalo might legit have the worst team in the league next year.

Buffalo picking top 3 in the draft next year I think

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Buffalo picking top 3 in the draft next year I think
Wouldn't be surprised at this point. I'm glad we play the week one tbh. McCoy is getting older, that oline sucks, defense is horribly depleted, WR corps is a joke, and now the team has a future bust at QB that they'll likely thrust out week one and making the jump from such a small school. He's gonna get massacred

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Wouldn't be surprised at this point. I'm glad we play the week one tbh. McCoy is getting older, that oline sucks, defense is horribly depleted, WR corps is a joke, and now the team has a future bust at QB that they'll likely thrust out week one and making the jump from such a small school. He's gonna get massacred

Beyond that it just looks like a very weak all-round roster

I’m struggling to think of a team with a worse roster than the bills...
Maybe the jets but the jets have 2 vet qbs who can play and Darnold can sit or win the job whenever it happens naturally and the jets have some promising young pieces at other positions

Colts roster is pretty bad and I worry that luck still isn’t throwing yet properly

Cardinals roster looks bad but not like these rosters either

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Beyond that it just looks like a very weak all-round roster

I’m struggling to think of a team with a worse roster than the bills...
Maybe the jets but the jets have 2 vet qbs who can play and Darnold can sit or win the job whenever it happens naturally and the jets have some promising young pieces at other positions

Colts roster is pretty bad and I worry that luck still isn’t throwing yet properly

Cardinals roster looks bad but not like these rosters either
cardinals have a lot of star power. healthy bradford has proven to be very good, rosen is a future elite qb, they have the best rb in the league, fitzgerald is still there and kicking, christian kirk could become a household name very quickly, they have a good pass rush tandem with golden and jones, pat pete and budda baker giving them a supremely athletic half of a secondary with 2 former safeties at OLB who are weapons in coverage and one of them also being a pass rush weapon... the cardinals lack an OL and need interior defenders, if they do that then they are looking like a hell of a team.

id throw miami, and shockingly... seattle on that list before arizona. miami looks like the worst team in the league imo, between them and buffalo and NYJ, and seattle is prime for a really bad spiral, they still have their safety tandem(which could be broken up any day now with a simple trade announcement) and a guy whos very much in contention for the best LB in the league with wagner, jarran reed and nazair jones are stout interior defenders, and frank clark is a solid pass rusher, but their defense is a shell of its former self and i truly believe theyre about to fall off very hard. theyve invested in their OL big time and props to them for it, but it hasnt exactly panned out as they may have hoped, ifedi needs to take a step forward, brown was a good addition, and pocic could be a very solid pick for them but he needs to overcome his weak base/lack of anchor, and they have next to nothing in the skill positions, penny was a massive reach and no other RB in seattle is any good, they are just in big trouble imo. arizona to me looks better than seattle right now.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
cardinals have a lot of star power. healthy bradford has proven to be very good, rosen is a future elite qb, they have the best rb in the league, fitzgerald is still there and kicking, christian kirk could become a household name very quickly, they have a good pass rush tandem with golden and jones, pat pete and budda baker giving them a supremely athletic half of a secondary with 2 former safeties at OLB who are weapons in coverage and one of them also being a pass rush weapon... the cardinals lack an OL and need interior defenders, if they do that then they are looking like a hell of a team.

id throw miami, and shockingly... seattle on that list before arizona. miami looks like the worst team in the league imo, between them and buffalo and NYJ, and seattle is prime for a really bad spiral, they still have their safety tandem(which could be broken up any day now with a simple trade announcement) and a guy whos very much in contention for the best LB in the league with wagner, jarran reed and nazair jones are stout interior defenders, and frank clark is a solid pass rusher, but their defense is a shell of its former self and i truly believe theyre about to fall off very hard. theyve invested in their OL big time and props to them for it, but it hasnt exactly panned out as they may have hoped, ifedi needs to take a step forward, brown was a good addition, and pocic could be a very solid pick for them but he needs to overcome his weak base/lack of anchor, and they have next to nothing in the skill positions, penny was a massive reach and no other RB in seattle is any good, they are just in big trouble imo. arizona to me looks better than seattle right now.

oh i agree - i was just throwing rosters out there

as it is im struggling to find a worse roster than the bills
the dolphins are a good call but id still err towards the bills

and as much as seattle are on the decline they've got too many good players still to see them descending into the depths of the NFL:

russell wilson, doug baldwin, frank clark, bobby wagner, kj wright, kam chancellor, earl thomas

those guys are still up there with the best at their positions - now throw in decent players behind them in ethan pocic, duane brown (although he's ancient now), tyler lockett (if he's healed up), jarran reed, shaq griffin etc. and that's a decent roster

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Well it's been a year and a half since the 2018 Draft came to completion and I have to say this was an incredible draft.

1st Round (25th overall) --- Hayden Hurst -- Although not playing to a typical 1st rounder level, the only reason he isn't is due to Mark Andrews. He has had a very big part of our offense, however many don't see his entire impact.

1st Round (32nd overall) --- Lamar Jackson -- 'nuff said

3rd Round (83rd overall) --- Orlando Brown -- Steal and should have been a 1st rounder if he didn't bomb the combine.

3rd Round (86th overall) --- Mark Andrews --- 'nuff said and another steal that should have been a 1st rounder

4th Round (118th overall) --- Anthony Averett still has upside. I have noticed the last couple of weeks that he is turning his head around.

4th Round (122nd overall) --- Had a good 1st year but disappointed in year two. Traded for Marcus Peters.

4th Round (132nd overall) --- Had much better player WR available on the board

5th Round (162nd overall) --- couldn't catch a cold

6th Round (190th overall) --- DeShon Elliott, although he's been injured, has high upside and has shown in on the field on his limited chances

6th Round (212th overall) --- Greg Senat -- I was upset when he was cut. Thought he had potential

6th Round (215th overall) --- Bradley Bozeman -- has done pretty well at LG in his first season. Needs more power but is very good pulling.

7th Round (238th overall) --- Zach Sieler - hasn't had much of a chance to get on the field, but doesn't have a high upside

You can't hit on all of your picks, but this was an exceptional draft. Ozzie knocked his last draft out of the park.