• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Lamar, The Defence and The Injuries (again)

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
It's a lot more fun to write this week's report but still hurts in a few ways.

1) We may have blundered by not already giving Lamar what he wanted.
2) Moving away from Drake and Davis to Dobbins and Hill was just obviously the right thing to do. As Dobbins gets even stronger and with the addition of Gus, look for the run game to get even better as the year goes on.
3) Mark Andrews is simply too good for most defenses.
4) Bateman wants that fumble back but were at least 2 if not 3 opportunities where if Lamar passed to him or makes a slightly better throw he has TDs.
5) Duvernay has truly blossomed. Elite returner. A legitimate WR3. If this team had a real real real WR2 it would be super scary, but it's not at all required. Duv acting as WR2 is fine, but you'd like to see some more from Robinson/Proche/Wallace. Hopefully Proche is back soon.
6) Mekari is hurt and that's enormous really. If he's out of the year a huge amount of the OL depth is just gone. The team is down to two OT, Faalele and Moses. If Stanley can play that's great but even still, now we need another OT. Don't know where that guy comes from. Don't know if the plan is to trot Faalele out there again at LT next week against a HUNGRY Bill's team.

7) JAD was brutally victimized. Pepe gave up 3 huge chunk plays. Stephens gave up a couple. Your backend CBs are always going to be the ones giving stuff up, but hopefully we can keep Marlon, Marcus, and Brandon on the field. I don't want to see JAD this year.
8) The DL has let non-star RBs run all over them in all 3 games so far. That's really bad and is probably going to be worse with Pierce injured.
9) Queen really needs to make the interception, but overall was fine. Neither great nor terrible. Bynes with a huge int.
10) Kyle Hamilton with a huge FF. Williams consistently being an elite player.
11) There is no pass rush of any kind from this team and now Houston is hurt. If there is anything that can stop this team from winning it all, it's the pass rush. JPP comes in next week, Bowser probably next month. Ojabo idk when. The elite secondary we have is rendered pretty worthless by the infinite time these QBs have to throw. Josh Allen is up next week and I'm nervous to see what he'll do to us given how many yards and points we've given up to Flacco, Tua, and Mac.

Last edited:

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Happy for Hamilton. Was a tough past week for him.
Duvernay has been a pleasant surprise so far. Great returns and overall improved his game at WR.
On another note i can't wait for JPP to suit up for next week. We def. need another edge rusher just to provide some relief snaps

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Last post was about the players, this one about the coaching.

Firstly Harbs had a good day, wasn't put in many tough positions but took the FG when he should've.

GRo was cooking and actually from the first drive. No commitment to the run game, got Lamar involved early and often, and a lot of creativity. I've been so hard on GRo but he was actually world class today.

MM, I'm beginning to become nervous. That drive at the end of the first half was absolutely disgusting. I don't remember the last time we dropped 11 and let someone get out of bounds. The defense has given up a lot of 4th quarter TDs every single week. The pass rush is largely ineffective no matter how many he sends and even when we drop 8 or more guys consistently give up big plays. We've given up a ton of points to mid or low tier QBs. The run defense has been leaky. I'm nervous about that whole side of the ball and the play calling both generally but more so situationally.

CanadianRavensFan

Practice Squad
Lamar, GRO, and this offence are absolutely able to keep up with any other offence in the league so if we can get our defence playing at an average level then I could absolutely see this team making noise in the playoffs

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
Why are we getting so many injuries ?!? They fired the head trainer last year and still we have major problems with injuries.
Can this all be just bad luck ? Ugh.

Simba

Staff Member
Offense started sloppy before settling in. Lamar put the team on his back yet again. Duvernay and Andrews stepping up with big plays.

Defense was still very iffy but they took the meltdown to heart to ensure that wasn’t happening again. Pass rush needs some major help. Secondary needs to button up.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Last post was about the players, this one about the coaching.

Firstly Harbs had a good day, wasn't put in many tough positions but took the FG when he should've.

GRo was cooking and actually from the first drive. No commitment to the run game, got Lamar involved early and often, and a lot of creativity. I've been so hard on GRo but he was actually world class today.

MM, I'm beginning to become nervous. That drive at the end of the first half was absolutely disgusting. I don't remember the last time we dropped 11 and let someone get out of bounds. The defense has given up a lot of 4th quarter TDs every single week. The pass rush is largely ineffective no matter how many he sends and even when we drop 8 or more guys consistently give up big plays. We've given up a ton of points to mid or low tier QBs. The run defense has been leaky. I'm nervous about that whole side of the ball and the play calling both generally but more so situationally.

teams are so far being able to scheme their biggest weapons into good matchups against our defence so far

we've had 3 WRs have basically career days against our defence the last 2 weeks despite the fact that our best CB is giving up almost no production to opposing QBs - if Marlon's holding up his end of the bargain, we've got to find a way to get the other 10 guys to play better and obviously it will help if the secondary can now have more games to start building chemistry

the news on Houston is not particularly bad it sounds like, JPP coming in on Monday, Bowser able to be activated a week from now and we'll see what happens with Ojabo - it's not ideal but as long as we don't continue to lose guys we should be able to maybe find some EDGE rush which will help the interior rush because we can play Calais outside less

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Lamar, GRO, and this offence are absolutely able to keep up with any other offence in the league so if we can get our defence playing at an average level then I could absolutely see this team making noise in the playoffs

and this is the offence with the 4th string LT (who hasnt taken a snap on the left side all year or all of college) and without much of a running game with JK coming back and Gus still to come in at some point in the future

and the upside with JK in the passing game is also ridiculous

Simba

Staff Member
They are not saying much with Pierce
Hard to speculate because I don’t know which arm it was because they never really showed a replay, but have to wonder if it’s the same arm he had issues with last season. Could be a let it rest and try to play later, or a just get in cleaned up now and end the season type of thing.