• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Welcome to the Ravens, Hayden Hurst and Lamar Jackson

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Going down 3-4 yards short of the hit is what Jackson will need to do ... and he will need to do it every - damn - play. One mistake is all it takes.

I was at the game that spelled the beginning of the end for RGIII. It wasn't a slide .... he decided to dive for the 1st in front of a freight train named Haloti Ngata, who had a full head of steam. That's a recipe for disaster and is a good way to end a career. If he can be disciplined about going to the turf and can work on mechanics to improve his accuracy, he could be a special talent. The prospect of that is exciting.
yes, I remember that game vividly.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
So, that crazy 1st round yesterday and reaction by various media to Jackson pick got me thinking - did we all miss that everything done last and this year was to set the stage for Jackson and not necessary help Joe?

- hiring Urban (worked with Vick and McNabb)
- retaining Marty (Vick)
- Roman (Kaepernick, Tyrod)
- RGIII signing

If that's the case, why complete 180 degrees turn with regards to type of QB and offense in general? Did we realise the odds are short of finding quality O line players in college and are only going to get shorter, so if QB needs to be able to move a bit, let's get the one that moves like nobody moved before?

It all kind of makes sense to me but what doesn't fit is the fact that we then completely unnecessary gambled with the pick through couple of trade downs. What was the plan B if the Saints, Steelers or NE took him? Bring Tyrod back in 2019?

I'm overthinking. Am I?

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
So, that crazy 1st round yesterday and reaction by various media to Jackson pick got me thinking - did we all miss that everything done last and this year was to set the stage for Jackson and not necessary help Joe?

- retaining Marty (Vick)
- RGIII signing

If that's the case, why complete 180 degrees turn with regards to type of QB and offense in general? Did we realise the odds are short of finding quality O line players in college and are only going to get shorter, so if QB needs to be able to move a bit, let's get the one that moves like nobody moved before?

It all kind of makes sense to me but what doesn't fit is the fact that we then completely unnecessary gambled with the pick through couple of trade downs. What was the plan B if the Saints, Steelers or NE took him? Bring Tyrod back in 2019?

I'm overthinking. Am I?
I honestly think they didnt have intentions of taking Jackson until they saw him fall to 32. That's when they knew they just couldn't pass up that opportunity.

And let me just say it's insane that Lamar Jackson fell to 32. His ceiling is as high or higher than anyone else in this class and he fell almost out of round 1. And it's not like hes some insanely raw prospect. Josh Allen of all people got taken in the top 10. Idk what teams are afraid of. Jackson's problems are more fixable than Allen's and he has less of them lol

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I honestly think they didnt have intentions of taking Jackson until they saw him fall to 32. That's when they knew they just couldn't pass up that opportunity.

And let me just say it's insane that Lamar Jackson fell to 32. His ceiling is as high or higher than anyone else in this class and he fell almost out of round 1. And it's not like hes some insanely raw prospect. Josh Allen of all people got taken in the top 10. Idk what teams are afraid of. Jackson's problems are more fixable than Allen's and he has less of them lol
But is he in the right org that can help him reach his full potential?

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
My biggest question with Lamar has always been his intelligence. In interviews and such, he definitely doesn't come off as the smartest guy.
This isn't necessary the sign of intelligence or a lack thereof. He definitely isn't the most eloquent guy out there but from what I heard, he definitely isn't dumb and as you pointed out, the constant progress he made under tough coach in a not exactly vanilla offense shows that he is teachable and capable.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

- retaining Marty (Vick)
- RGIII signing

I'm overthinking. Am I?
are you suggesting we are getting ahead of the curve for once?

Simba

Staff Member
This isn't necessary the sign of intelligence or a lack thereof. He definitely isn't the most eloquent guy out there but from what I heard, he definitely isn't dumb and as you pointed out, the constant progress he made under tough coach in a not exactly vanilla offense shows that he is teachable and capable.

Yeah it's hard for us as we really only have interviews to go on. We're not able to be in the meeting rooms and all of that so really difficult for us to say. From my perspective, the intelligence issue was more just scouting report scouting because there's no way I'd possibly know that. I definitely know interviews aren't the end all, be all. I mean, Ed Reed might be one of the worst interviews ever but the dude was so smart when it came to football.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
as livid as i was about giving up those picks to get jackson, and as irritated as i was to watch the ravens be the potentially idiotic team to tell 31 front offices "yall are wrong, im gonna draft him"

ive slept on it... had a full day of work on it... watched all the new interviews and...

seeing his jersey number confirmed really makes me wanna order a jersey. im excited now.

something that has went unmentioned... we have 2 H-back types in maxx and hurst, both are excellent inline and wham/motion blockers, maxx being especially lethal as an open field lead blocker around the edge. if maxx stays for deal 2, having 2 guys with that skillset with lamar jackson sounds like a fuckload of fun, designed draws to the edge and RPOs with a full house formation with 2 H-backs and a good RB. youd have 2 guys who can lead block and catch the ball and pick up some hard earned YAC, lamar jackson threatening to run, lamar jackson threatening to pass, potential for a handoff with 2 backfield blockers. sounds fun.

does roman or marty have any experience with running a full house formation?

Simba

Staff Member
as livid as i was about giving up those picks to get jackson, and as irritated as i was to watch the ravens be the potentially idiotic team to tell 31 front offices "yall are wrong, im gonna draft him"

ive slept on it... had a full day of work on it... watched all the new interviews and...

seeing his jersey number confirmed really makes me wanna order a jersey. im excited now.

something that has went unmentioned... we have 2 H-back types in maxx and hurst, both are excellent inline and wham/motion blockers, maxx being especially lethal as an open field lead blocker around the edge. if maxx stays for deal 2, having 2 guys with that skillset with lamar jackson sounds like a fuckload of fun, designed draws to the edge and RPOs with a full house formation with 2 H-backs and a good RB. youd have 2 guys who can lead block and catch the ball and pick up some hard earned YAC, lamar jackson threatening to run, lamar jackson threatening to pass, potential for a handoff with 2 backfield blockers. sounds fun.

does roman or marty have any experience with running a full house formation?

I'm glad you mentioned Maxx. The numbers obviously don't stand out but he's kind of been an unsung hero for this team. He's developed well as a blocker and him adding that H-Back versatility last year really added some value even if it doesn't show on the stat sheet.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Yeah it's hard for us as we really only have interviews to go on. We're not able to be in the meeting rooms and all of that so really difficult for us to say. From my perspective, the intelligence issue was more just scouting report scouting because there's no way I'd possibly know that. I definitely know interviews aren't the end all, be all. I mean, Ed Reed might be one of the worst interviews ever but the dude was so smart when it came to football.
Lol, Ed Reed was the first association for me.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor

And people tell me that race isnt the problem with Lamar Jackson......

Baker Mayfeild ran from the cops and still got picked #1. Jackson wasnt even considered with the consensus "top 4 qbs"

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Ive always said the biggest issue with Jackson that no one wants to address is having a black QB lead the team. Its why Cam Newton still gets criticized for smiling