• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Welcome to the Ravens, Hayden Hurst and Lamar Jackson

Charm City

Pro Bowler
if you think lamar jackson is just a one read runner, you need to watch his purdue game.
What I like the most about his Purdue tape is how well he leads his receivers. Too often we saw Joe throw behind his WRs and RBs on slants and out routes which doesn't allow them to catch the ball with momentum. Jackson puts the ball on the runway or protects his receivers from being hit.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
That RZ package with Lamar, Collins, Pat, Hurst, Crab and maybe Snead/Andrews/Scott will be so fun to watch

God, I'm still so pumped up about Lamar. Never felt so intrigued by a prospect I didn't root for pre-draft. I never thought we would be serious about a QB early and didn't watch any tape until Friday.
I took Monday free so I should be able to make a resume about his skills; just for the fun's sake.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Lamar is easy to fall for.
Put a home run hitting back with him in the backfield...continue to invest in Oline....a playmaker like Lasley at wideout....
With the way our division is changing, this has to happen and I commend the FO.

Simba

Staff Member
I’m not sure if it’s been mentioned here yet, but I had a thought long ago that Jackson makes Baltimore a desirable destination if another poor year forces a coaching change. Some of those young, up and coming minds would probably love to start over with such an athlete at the position.

aUserHasNoName

Practice Squad
I’m not sure if it’s been mentioned here yet, but I had a thought long ago that Jackson makes Baltimore a desirable destination if another poor year forces a coaching change. Some of those young, up and coming minds would probably love to start over with such an athlete at the position.
With the addition of LJ, Im not so sure some coaches are on the hot seat this year. Surely if we do poorly this year, Joe takes the fall and the coaches have another year to develop LJ. Thats my assumption anyway, I dont see the FO bringing in new coaches to develop.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
I thought you strongly disliked Andrews?
No i just had to slow down the hype of him being a 1st round pick (you once made the claim he should be picked at 16 lol). Also dislike his blocking but i like him as a 2nd TE option. Just woulf have been worried if he was the only TE drafted

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
LJ has the IT factor that we have been missing. Love his poise under pressure and as mentioned before, he absolutely is good at leading his receivers. He also throws with much better touch than Joe.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
No i just had to slow down the hype of him being a 1st round pick (you once made the claim he should be picked at 16 lol). Also dislike his blocking but i like him as a 2nd TE option. Just woulf have been worried if he was the only TE drafted
Yeah I got carried away.
Btw your main arguing point was that he produced against weak big 12 defenses... did you see his rose bowl against GA?

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
LJ has the IT factor that we have been missing. Love his poise under pressure and as mentioned before, he absolutely is good at leading his receivers. He also throws with much better touch than Joe.
Agreed. We're going to see the locker room gravitate towards him. Both sides of the ball will rally around this guy.

It's really unusual to see a guy with that level of humility have such ability to galvanize a group.

It should also be exciting to see the rapport develop between Jackson and the four pass catcher entering the league with him.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
You can't possibly dislike his blocking. He doesn't do it, nothing to dislike :p

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Totally. All those «one read then scramble» thing is 100% bullshit.
I knew that from the start. Even months ago I praised his determination to keep his eyes downfield, and a level of decision making that you simply don't see from college qbs that mobile. He didn't lean on his legs, he stands strong in the pocket and maneuvers the rush without taking his eyes off of coverage, and he breaks the pocket with poise and an understanding of what he can do after the scramble. He makes reads quickly, his delivery is impeccable, he's gotta work on that backfoot usage, but his delivery is so much based on his arm and front foot that his throw on the run is as good as his pocket pass. He doesn't force throws, he senses presssure incredibly well.

Literally the only issue is that he needs to widen that base and take a million reps from under center to get that back foot working. If he can learn to use that back foot for a consistent motion and clean delivery then he may see a huge improvement in how consistently he puts the ball on the money. He can often be very accurate but he has the errant pass on occasion.

Man I'm excited about Jackson... can't stop talking about his potential lol

Simba

Staff Member
I knew that from the start. Even months ago I praised his determination to keep his eyes downfield, and a level of decision making that you simply don't see from college qbs that mobile. He didn't lean on his legs, he stands strong in the pocket and maneuvers the rush without taking his eyes off of coverage, and he breaks the pocket with poise and an understanding of what he can do after the scramble. He makes reads quickly, his delivery is impeccable, he's gotta work on that backfoot usage, but his delivery is so much based on his arm and front foot that his throw on the run is as good as his pocket pass. He doesn't force throws, he senses presssure incredibly well.

Literally the only issue is that he needs to widen that base and take a million reps from under center to get that back foot working. If he can learn to use that back foot for a consistent motion and clean delivery then he may see a huge improvement in how consistently he puts the ball on the money. He can often be very accurate but he has the errant pass on occasion.

Man I'm excited about Jackson... can't stop talking about his potential lol

I think his narrow base is his main problem. Smooth delivery overall although it does get away from him on occasion. I know it's not the only thing to work on, but I think the main focus should be on his mechanics and footwork. I feel like that's when his accuracy gets away from him the most.

The one thing that does kind of concern me about him is that for a mobile QB, he doesn't throw well on the run. They're going to be working hard on the mechanics in the pocket and I hope that the mechanics on the run don't slip through the cracks.