• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Next Up: vs Bengals

Charm City

Pro Bowler
Its pretty obvious to say that our lack of quality depth, due to injuries to key reserve players like Fuller, Mekari, James, Means, etc, is a reason for our late collapses. Its going to take a bit of time to bed in the rookies who weren't expecting to play this much this soon, but once they do I feel confident that we can hold these leads. We are in a transition year whether we want to acknowledge it or not. Lamar is the only key player younger than 30 hitting FA this year. That means this team will largely be returning next year, a team that has built multiple 2TD+ leads against two of the best teams in the league. The sky is not falling.

Bama Ravens

Veteran
It wouldn’t be unlike the Ravens to come out and win this game.

On the other hand, I expect Burrow to shred us, probably with his arm and feet. Joe Mixon will probably run all over us.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Its pretty obvious to say that our lack of quality depth, due to injuries to key reserve players like Fuller, Mekari, James, Means, etc, is a reason for our late collapses. Its going to take a bit of time to bed in the rookies who weren't expecting to play this much this soon, but once they do I feel confident that we can hold these leads. We are in a transition year whether we want to acknowledge it or not. Lamar is the only key player younger than 30 hitting FA this year. That means this team will largely be returning next year, a team that has built multiple 2TD+ leads against two of the best teams in the league. The sky is not falling.
Depends on what your expectations are. If your expectations are for this team to make the playoffs, you should definitely not think the sky is falling. If your expectations were that this team would be in the AFC championship or Super Bowl you can probably say the sky is falling.

What you've already seen is that the defense is tremendously underperorming based on the amount of talent it has. And the reason for that is due to the distribution of talent. The IDL and the secondary are LOADED with talent and the ENTIRE line backing corps, both inside and out are really bad and thin! You also just got an injury Bynes this game so even thinner. All of the goodness of the line and secondary rendered useless by the lack of pass rush, poor tackling, and zero LB coverage ability.

The offense was set up with the bare minimum at the WR position. Which when all healthy was enough to get by for sure. But there goes Bateman. In his absence, I think this offense really sputters.

The greater point I'm making is that this team while extremely talented still has huge units of weaknesses and is somehow yet again the MOST injured team in the league. So if those units aren't going to get better and we're only going to get more injured, this team won't be able to compete for a superbowl. And that's fine I guess, but the entire future of the Ravens for the next 5 years is the hands of Decosta at the draft. We'll see what happens.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
If Harbaugh's incompetent ass blows this one too, then how will his lovers on here support him staying?

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
It wouldn’t be unlike the Ravens to come out and win this game.

On the other hand, I expect Burrow to shred us, probably with his arm and feet. Joe Mixon will probably run all over us.

I sure the hell hope Mixon does well (and they still lose). I'm needing points from him in my family fantasy football league. Ekeler finally came around yesterday.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
If Harbaugh's incompetent ass blows this one too, then how will his lovers on here support him staying?
Same way they did after yesterday game... by pointing out the fact that us being up 23-20 with like 2 minutes left doesn't guarantee us winning literally anything.
I think everybody and their mother realizes that, best case, in that scenario, is OT.
I would have just preferred him to kick because a) I want the lead in that spot and b) I want to stand behind my defense and show confidence they can make a stop. Clearly John doesn't believe that at the moment. Frankly I don't know that anybody does.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Same way they did after yesterday game... by pointing out the fact that us being up 23-20 with like 2 minutes left doesn't guarantee us winning literally anything.
I think everybody and their mother realizes that, best case, in that scenario, is OT.
Thank you. I just can't imagine watching that game, seeing the defense get shredded, seeing the offense go 44 minutes without scoring and think oh the aggressive decision at the end to try and win this game was the problem. A sloppy game all around.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
I would have just preferred him to kick because a) I want the lead in that spot and b) I want to stand behind my defense and show confidence they can make a stop. Clearly John doesn't believe that at the moment. Frankly I don't know that anybody does.

Here’s the thing. The majority of the Raven fanbase (with the exception of this forum, of course) didn’t just take an exception with that call. We took exception to the whole entire second half

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Here’s the thing. The majority of the Raven fanbase (with the exception of this forum, of course) didn’t just take an exception with that call. We took exception to the whole entire second half
John Harbaugh didn't play the second half lol. The players did. John Harbaugh can be criticized for one thing and one thing only. His 4th down decision call. Everything else was the players being awful

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
John Harbaugh didn't play the second half lol. The players did. John Harbaugh can be criticized for one thing and one thing only. His 4th down decision call. Everything else was the players being awful

Oh ok. Thankful for the Harbaugh supporters like you. Because there are very few of you guys left in this day and age

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Depends on what your expectations are. If your expectations are for this team to make the playoffs, you should definitely not think the sky is falling. If your expectations were that this team would be in the AFC championship or Super Bowl you can probably say the sky is falling.

What you've already seen is that the defense is tremendously underperorming based on the amount of talent it has. And the reason for that is due to the distribution of talent. The IDL and the secondary are LOADED with talent and the ENTIRE line backing corps, both inside and out are really bad and thin! You also just got an injury Bynes this game so even thinner. All of the goodness of the line and secondary rendered useless by the lack of pass rush, poor tackling, and zero LB coverage ability.

The offense was set up with the bare minimum at the WR position. Which when all healthy was enough to get by for sure. But there goes Bateman. In his absence, I think this offense really sputters.

The greater point I'm making is that this team while extremely talented still has huge units of weaknesses and is somehow yet again the MOST injured team in the league. So if those units aren't going to get better and we're only going to get more injured, this team won't be able to compete for a superbowl. And that's fine I guess, but the entire future of the Ravens for the next 5 years is the hands of Decosta at the draft. We'll see what happens.
Well couple of things I'd like to point out...
1. I kind of eye roll at the whole "linebacker" situation, because for me, its DUH. Everybody knew it was a problem 4-5 months ago. Why are we just pretending like we didn't realize it was an issue now? Nobody looked at our inside or outside linebacker group and were like "o yeah, we're good". It's one of the worst groups in the league in my opinion. We've known this. We made no investment at ILB, and the investments we did make at OLB aren't going to pay off until later in the year or, realistically, in 2023. That's the devil we agreed to.
End of day, what did fans expect? We wanted massive upgrades at Oline. We basically got it. We brought in Moses, we drafted Linderbaum, and we drafted Faalele, among just bringing back the guys we already had.
We wanted the secondary group to be largely overhauled, especially at Safety. You sign Williams, draft Hamilton, bring in a bunch of new corners, and alas, here it is. It's not performing as well as it should, but I thought our Secondary was actually really, really, really good yesterday. Blew away all of my expectations. Especially after people thought the Bills would hang 50 on us because the Dolphins scored so much. They whiffed and whiffed badly.
If the expectation is for the Ravens to upgrade every single position in one offseason, that's not a Ravens problem. That's a fan expectation problem.
The linebacking group is struggling as we expected it to.

2. I don't think we're the most injured team in the league. Not close. Check out the Chargers. Pretty much a bunch of the very best players on their roster are out with long term injuries, and their QB has broken ribs. We've got injuries, but it can be FAR worse.

3. A lot of the "talent" infusion are still young players and rookies, especially on defense. They're not going to be All-Pros in year 1. They'll struggle.

I'm not concerned because Buffalo looks like maybe the best team in the NFL to me, or at the very least, a top 3-4 team. And we were beating them by 17 and lost on a less second FG. That tells me we're basically just as good as them, we just didn't execute certain aspects well enough (nor did they in some spots). If we weren't close, we'd be getting blown out by these teams.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I think worst case scenario he believed they would have to drive down field from their own 2 but lamar thew the int.. id blame lamar well before id blame harbaugh.. i mean ok you didnt see duv but he saw baddie or whoever that was and didnt try to hit him

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Oh ok. Thankful for the Harbaugh supporters like you. Because there are very few of you guys left in this day and age
Bro, it's not even that I think Harbaugh is the greatest coach of all time or something. He's a good coach and that's all I'd really have to say about him. With that being said that loss is not on him it was on the atrocious play of the team.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I agree. I didn't like offensive play calling in the second half. That's also not John, but I guess by default it is John, if you're blaming the person who hired the person that was the problem.

I take exception with the segment of the fanbase that seems to have turrets and can't make up their mind who the problem is and who to blame on a week-to-week basis. If I were legitimately concerned about a HC, I'd be like a Panthers or Cardinals fan, who routinely see their coach look like total dog shit on a week in, week out basis. That's not John.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think worst case scenario he believed they would have to drive down field from their own 2 but lamar thew the int.. id blame lamar well before id blame harbaugh.. i mean ok you didnt see duv but he saw baddie or whoever that was and didnt try to hit him
Well the play call sucked, and the Bills did what they should have done, which is bring pressure and force Lamar to one side of the field.
I absolutely hate goal-line calls that force a QB to split the field in half. I know that wasn't the call, but its not like its shocking to see a team pressure a QB on the goal line. The fields already condensed, so you don't have to worry getting beat deep for a big play.

Not to mention that, for much of the second half, Lamar was either under pressure or thinking he was seeing pressure, and spent most of it outside the pocket. You have to understand where the strength of your team is on THAT DAY, not a long term approach over the course of years.

Long run, going for it is the correct move. In this game and at that moment, I didn't think so.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
I agree. I didn't like offensive play calling in the second half. That's also not John, but I guess by default it is John, if you're blaming the person who hired the person that was the problem.

I take exception with the segment of the fanbase that seems to have turrets and can't make up their mind who the problem is and who to blame on a week-to-week basis. If I were legitimately concerned about a HC, I'd be like a Panthers or Cardinals fan, who routinely see their coach look like total dog shit on a week in, week out basis. That's not John.

Because of Lamar. This whole entire team is Lamar with some help from Marcus Williams (sometimes). Without Lamar no one on here can tell me Harbaugh would’ve kept his job in 2018, that 2019 would’ve been glorious (until when it actually mattered), and that we wouldn’t be something like 1-3 this year

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Well couple of things I'd like to point out...
1. I kind of eye roll at the whole "linebacker" situation, because for me, its DUH. Everybody knew it was a problem 4-5 months ago. Why are we just pretending like we didn't realize it was an issue now? Nobody looked at our inside or outside linebacker group and were like "o yeah, we're good". It's one of the worst groups in the league in my opinion. We've known this. We made no investment at ILB, and the investments we did make at OLB aren't going to pay off until later in the year or, realistically, in 2023. That's the devil we agreed to.
End of day, what did fans expect? We wanted massive upgrades at Oline. We basically got it. We brought in Moses, we drafted Linderbaum, and we drafted Faalele, among just bringing back the guys we already had.
We wanted the secondary group to be largely overhauled, especially at Safety. You sign Williams, draft Hamilton, bring in a bunch of new corners, and alas, here it is. It's not performing as well as it should, but I thought our Secondary was actually really, really, really good yesterday. Blew away all of my expectations. Especially after people thought the Bills would hang 50 on us because the Dolphins scored so much. They whiffed and whiffed badly.
If the expectation is for the Ravens to upgrade every single position in one offseason, that's not a Ravens problem. That's a fan expectation problem.
The linebacking group is struggling as we expected it to.

2. I don't think we're the most injured team in the league. Not close. Check out the Chargers. Pretty much a bunch of the very best players on their roster are out with long term injuries, and their QB has broken ribs. We've got injuries, but it can be FAR worse.

3. A lot of the "talent" infusion are still young players and rookies, especially on defense. They're not going to be All-Pros in year 1. They'll struggle.

I'm not concerned because Buffalo looks like maybe the best team in the NFL to me, or at the very least, a top 3-4 team. And we were beating them by 17 and lost on a less second FG. That tells me we're basically just as good as them, we just didn't execute certain aspects well enough (nor did they in some spots). If we weren't close, we'd be getting blown out by these teams.
1) Never said the LB group was good in the past and I'm not surprised their bad. So I'm not sure what kind of comment that is. I have for months been extremely critical of EDC from a roster construction perspective. I've never said that I think or desire a GM to just create a SB caliber team in one year, that's a dumb idea. However, legitimately for about 3 years now, I've been extremely critical of building a defense from the back forward and I'll still maintain that position.

2) There were multiple posts on this board from sources saying we were the most injured team. I can't validate it, but people were saying that, not just like some stupid idea from my brain. I will attempt to get to the bottom of this point.

3) Totally true, and I never said otherwise.

Yes we are competing with some of the best teams in the league. That's why the first thing I said was this team will make the playoffs, the sky is not falling. But with that being said, the flaws the team has plus injuries are probably going to not allow us to win a SB. Not a crazy take my guy. It's extremely difficult to win a superbowl. The teams that do are often the ones that are the healthiest, with top tier QBs, and best pass rushes. We only hit one of those categories.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
We have the second most players on IR and are in the top half of the league with respect to the contracts of those players. Now some of those guys should come off IR which would make things better. So it doesn't seem like we're the most injured team to me, but we are certainly not among the healthiest by any means. Not sure what those other reports from yesterday were.

Michael M.

Pro Bowler
For me, Bills game only confirmed what I was pretty sure... we're one of the best teams in the NFL. I'm sure we'll lose more games too, but there's nobody I fear at this point. Buffalo is pretty much the gold standard for how to build an NFL team right now, and they beat us on a last second FG after being down by 17 points.

I'm not concerned. I'd like to see us close some of these games out against better teams, but I think it'll happen soon enough. I'm not saying anybody debilitating personnel issues that basically can't be fixed.

My prediction... we'll head into December at either 7-4 or 8-3. And December/January doesn't look particularly scary to me at the moment. I think we're heading into week 4 of the toughest 4 game stretch on our schedule this year.
Bills may be the gold standard but Chiefs looking pretty good! I say we have a 9-8 season