• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Welcome to the Ravens, Anthony Averett and Kenny Young

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Kenny Young will be a player this town falls in love with. He eats, breathes and sleeps football. He is passionate and he is a leader.

On the field, I love his speed, his ability to diagnose plays quickly, to shoot gaps and stop the ball carrier in the backfield. He is the perfect compliment to this defense and a throwback Raven type player in the mold of Reed and lewis so far as his commitment to his craft.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I'll admit I didn't watch Kenny Young but from what I read he's great in coverage and meh against the run. We'll see. Maybe being protected in our scheme will let him chase plays.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I'm a fan of the Averett pick. This dude will be a starter in no time.
That means Humphrey or jimmy or young go down so I hope not.

But I agree, he is very similar to Cary Williams which I'll take in the 4th all day. People bitching about picking averett in the 4th but were silent on the packers taking Kevin king, when they're damn near the same player

rossihunter2

Staff Member
we're building hella depth at corner - wow
i had a 2nd round grade on averett - that's an absolute steal

and kenny young is an interesting player - he's sideline to sideline and is fast - if he pans out he's gonna be lethal when plays get spread out and in coverage - especially with CJ calling the plays for him

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

and kenny young is an interesting player - he's sideline to sideline and is fast - if he pans out he's gonna be lethal when plays get spread out and in coverage - especially with CJ calling the plays for him
I think it could be possible he is insurance if CJ leaves. Not saying he could replace CJ, because he absolutely can't.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

Yeah im big on the averett pick, like really big. i think that is lowkey one of our best picks, ravens fans are gonna like averett regardless of how much "omgz obligatory bama defender" nonsense we are gonna hear

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yeah im big on the averett pick, like really big. i think that is lowkey one of our best picks, ravens fans are gonna like averett regardless of how much "omgz obligatory bama defender" nonsense we are gonna hear

He’s an even better athlete than Marlon - so we’ll see what happens but he was a bonafide 2nd round grade on my board - probably just goes to show how many good corners there were in this class - and probably also demonstrates the impact of the enormous cb talent in last year’s draft - fewer teams felt needy of cbs so some good ones slipped

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Some of you will be, unfortunately, disappointed with Averett. He moves nicely and is obviously well schooled but not great on the ball and is tiny - length and weight wise. He can stay with the guy but will give a ton of completions. Hope I'm wrong.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Some of you will be, unfortunately, disappointed with Averett. He moves nicely and is obviously well schooled but not great on the ball and is tiny - length and weight wise. He can stay with the guy but will give a ton of completions. Hope I'm wrong.
Our db coach pumps out successful players with less raw tools than averett.

Last edited:

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Ive either heard people loving Kenny Young or hating Kenny Young...im tired of watching tape for this offseason but I might have to watch Young's because I don't know whether to be excited for him or not based on all these different opinions

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor

He shouldn't need to play right away with all of the corners we already have so hopefully he can work on his ball skills during that time. If he can improve his ball skills then, at worst, he would be a more athletic version of Carr.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Ive either heard people loving Kenny Young or hating Kenny Young...im tired of watching tape for this offseason but I might have to watch Young's because I don't know whether to be excited for him or not based on all these different opinions
lost has watched the most of Kenny Young, since he has probably seen the majority of his games. He hates him in the running game and never comes up big. I agree with his assessment in the running game, but he can cover pretty well. He couild be a decent complement to CJ and am hoping he works out, but he may not be the answer.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
pretty much every single scouting report has kenny young as a 7th round or UDFA and that this was a massive reach for the ravens. I only watched a few UCLA games and he never stood out positively for me. This was one of those wasted picks. Easily the worst of the bunch.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor

I'm going to disagree here. Firstly, he's gained 10 pounds of muscle since march ( he's stated this in a radio interview) and still runs 4.35. I actually like his tape a lot esp his 2017 tape. He's a solid corner. This aint no chykie brown or asa jackson BS. He'll be a good corner.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I'm going to disagree here. Firstly, he's gained 10 pounds of muscle since march ( he's stated this in a radio interview) and still runs 4.35. I actually like his tape a lot esp his 2017 tape. He's a solid corner. This aint no chykie brown or asa jackson BS. He'll be a good corner.
Knock wood you guys are right.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Reportedly decosta wanted mark Walton who was taken by cinci 6 spots before us in the 4th.

Was hyping Walton big time about 2 weeks leading up to the draft. I think that is gonna hurt us, Walton will be a big play machine

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Reportedly decosta wanted mark Walton who was taken by cinci 6 spots before us in the 4th.

Was hyping Walton big time about 2 weeks leading up to the draft. I think that is gonna hurt us, Walton will be a big play machine

the problem with de costa is that he's way too confident of his ability to push our luck with prospects falling to us. Get the player you want, dont wait. When they are close enough, just trade a late rounder.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

Yes, was a big fan of Walton and feel he was one of the better RB in this draft class. Easily worth a day 2 pick. For him to make it to the fourth round was surprising.