• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Welcome to the Ravens, Anthony Averett and Kenny Young

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
View attachment 971
Young Meets blocker in hole with force, proceeds to make stop
View attachment 972
immediately identifies and takes away flat route
View attachment 973
Immediately reads play, beats blocker to spot and makes the stop
View attachment 974
reads action immediately...makes stop with force..this is what happens when kept clean...great play recognition
View attachment 975
again...instantly to the route...watch QB identify that Young has route covered and proceed to go away and throw pick 6
View attachment 976
Kenny spies but keeps eyes on late leaking RB...note QB checks as this is where play is designed..flushed for no gain
View attachment 977
again great awareness

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
View attachment 971
View attachment 972
View attachment 973
View attachment 974
reads action immediately...makes stop with force..this is what happens when kept clean...great play recognition
View attachment 975
again...instantly to the route...watch QB identify that Young has route covered and proceed to go away and throw pick 6
View attachment 976
Kenny spies but keeps eyes on late leaking RB...note QB checks as this is where play is designed..flushed for no gain
View attachment 977
again great awareness

urgh...have you watched more of his film? It's crap. Every player has highlights. it's about the ratio of highlights to lowlights and this guy has way too many of the latter. Watch more film.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
urgh...have you watched more of his film? It's crap. Every player has highlights. it's about the ratio of highlights to lowlights and this guy has way too many of the latter. Watch more film.

that's fair enough and i had young graded lower than the 4th too - but i will say this - on day 3 you're looking for traits and attempting to extrapolate them forward - my guess is they got this guy in a room and they talked to him and realised they like the way he is and the way he identifies and recognises plays and they thought that he's a mouldable player moving forward with the athleticism and will to be a competitive part of our defence

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
that's fair enough and i had young graded lower than the 4th too - but i will say this - on day 3 you're looking for traits and attempting to extrapolate them forward - my guess is they got this guy in a room and they talked to him and realised they like the way he is and the way he identifies and recognises plays and they thought that he's a mouldable player moving forward with the athleticism and will to be a competitive part of our defence

i want a bart scott. A guy that hits like an old school raven and doesnt hesitate and can also cover.
This guy is inconsistent, a weak tackler and doesn't hit the gaps. He's an okay coverage guy, there were plenty of kenny youngs in UDFA

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
View attachment 971
View attachment 972
View attachment 973
View attachment 974
View attachment 975
View attachment 976
View attachment 977
again great awareness
You induced pain in my head.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
i want a bart scott. A guy that hits like an old school raven and doesnt hesitate and can also cover.
This guy is inconsistent, a weak tackler and doesn't hit the gaps. He's an okay coverage guy, there were plenty of kenny youngs in UDFA

but he has upside - he's shown on film moments of being able to fill the hole well and he covers better than ok - with the recognition he shows post-snap i think there's enough there to be hopeful that he can develop the holes in his game - he'll never be an old school hitter but that kind of player is basically extinct now with the rules the way they are - you have to be physical and dominant in different ways

as a day 3 guy he's shown enough traits that im hopeful - that being said there were players id have preferred but ill also be honest and say one of my favourite players in the entire draft went in the 6th round so what do i know?

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
but he has upside - he's shown on film moments of being able to fill the hole well and he covers better than ok - with the recognition he shows post-snap i think there's enough there to be hopeful that he can develop the holes in his game - he'll never be an old school hitter but that kind of player is basically extinct now with the rules the way they are - you have to be physical and dominant in different ways

as a day 3 guy he's shown enough traits that im hopeful - that being said there were players id have preferred but ill also be honest and say one of my favourite players in the entire draft went in the 6th round so what do i know?
I haven't seen much film on Young but from small sample I saw, his strong side seems to be ability to make sideline stops in case RB rounds the edge, he looks fast. We needed that badly last year.

I saw a lot of hesitation from him though, not the quickest one to read the play.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Those aren't highlights. Those are all from the same game. And I could have continued but I've already giffed people within an inch of their sanity. I'm looking for traits and how a player fits in our scheme.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I haven't seen much film on Young but from small sample I saw, his strong side seems to be ability to make sideline stops in case RB rounds the edge, he looks fast. We needed that badly last year.

I saw a lot of hesitation from him though, not the quickest one to read the play.

But with regards to that last bit I’ve seen him show recognition anecdotally early and he’s read the play quickly at that point - my hope (and it is a hope rather than an expectation) is that if he becomes a film junkie then he becomes a great stylistic foil to CJ in the middle of our defence

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor

The last part isn't so.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor

Who might that have been?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Yeah, he has some decent coverage ability, but against the run he’s not good at all. If our LB coaches can get a wrap on this, it could end up being a decent pick. I would have rather taken a rb at this point.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Yeah let's just go find ourselves a premiere elite LB who does everything, while ignoring the offense again

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I've watched 3 full games and don't see what you see. I see a guy who can cover and can make chase plays when kept clean as he shows good vision and diagnosing. He's garbage as a thumper, sure, but we aren't looking for a goddamn thumper