• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Welcome to the Ravens, Deshon Elliot and Zach Sieler

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
not to mention 5tech is possibly the 2nd weakest spot on the roster, we have urban who probably got injured as i typed this, and then its chris wormley and then... wait for it... bronson kaufusi. lawl.

not sure about wormley, seems to be a high floor low ceiling guy but im not so sure about his floor. he lacks explosion and general athleticism and doesnt play super strong, he just doesnt seem to have the prerequisite talents physically to make an impact. ive thought 5tech was a very underrated need for a while now
I am guilty of hating on the Wormley pick for several reasons. Notable among them, and definitely foremost among them is that we passed on Kareem Hunt.

However, I've been contemplating and attempting to critically analyze the pass rush and the pass rushers for the ravens 2018 season and I am really beginning to reshape my opinion of him. I mean, so far as his ability to get after and pressure a quarterback specifically. (I won't even touch him as a run defender).

View attachment 1009
Not a ton of involvement in the play here but notice; eyes always in the backfield...protects the edge and note how powerful his rip move is as he just tosses aside the Penn State tackle.
View attachment 1010
Here we see him lined up over a guard and see the same traits manifested. Eyes in the backfield..he knows where the quarterback is and where he's likely to step because he is so good at engaging while spying the ball. We see powerful hands rip and shed defender and then he finds QB and finishes.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
View attachment 1012

I love this. Here he lines up over the guard and beats him INSIDE with a very good swim move. The fact that he is held likely keeps him from making the sack. I believe he is best used inside on passing downs.
Below is the play immediately after.

View attachment 1013

He feins inside, swats away the guards hands, then swims with his left, beats him OUTSIDE and gets a hit on the quarterback.
He is a very heady football player that is always chasing the play, always hustling.

Last edited:

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
It was extremely difficult for me to find him in action against pro lineman, but here we see the same displaying of play and backfield recognition, along with a powerful discarding of a blocker in order to find the QB.

View attachment 1014

Im impressed at how he plays the run from the 5 tech and I believe he will be disruptive, most particularly inside head up on a guard. I'm much more optimistic about our ability to get pressure up the gut with a rotation of Wormley, Urban and Henry than I am about having Pierce and Brandon Williams inside rushing the quarterback.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
passed on cedrick wilson for him, i will complain until wilson flames out and elliott becomes a pro bowler
Wilson was nice but also overrated. There wasn't a dominant trait in his game and he just looks like a solid 3, which is what I've been saying for quite a while.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
It was extremely difficult for me to find him in action against pro lineman, but here we see the same displaying of play and backfield recognition, along with a powerful discarding of a blocker in order to find the QB.

View attachment 1014

Im impressed at how he plays the run from the 5 tech and I believe he will be disruptive, most particularly inside head up on a guard. I'm much more optimistic about our ability to get pressure up the gut with a rotation of Wormley, Urban and Henry than I am about having Pierce and Brandon Williams inside rushing the quarterback.
I remember one play where he was lined up outside of Penn, the play was very short but he engaged Penn and completely blew his pass set to push him 2 yards back on first contact. That looked special.