• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Offensive Line Thread

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
I know Yanda did not play and it was only the first preseason game, but I thought the line looked average at best. I still wish our interior lineman had more power. It is still my big concern for our upcoming season. I know we want to be run heavy, so I would love to see a lot more smashmouth. Maybe I am just showing my age with the old school style I enjoy.

The recent report is that no-one is really stepping up to win this LG spot. Is that more or less worrying than it just being handed to James Hurst?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I just read your post. I put two videos out on Mekari this morning. Check him out when you get time and let me know what you see. ( I also have him in a third video upcoming. He definitely stood out

he looks really powerful in those clips you posted - was really impressed with the way he drove off the ball when playing centre on that double team block with powers you showed on the hill run left (outside the tackle iirc) - it looked honestly like he was going to destroy the DL even before Powers added his weight to the double team

would be interested to see how effective he is against better competition because i like how he uses his pad level and hands (which are 2 skills that i think would help translate to working against better players)

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
he looks really powerful in those clips you posted - was really impressed with the way he drove off the ball when playing centre on that double team block with powers you showed on the hill run left (outside the tackle iirc) - it looked honestly like he was going to destroy the DL even before Powers added his weight to the double team

would be interested to see how effective he is against better competition because i like how he uses his pad level and hands (which are 2 skills that i think would help translate to working against better players)
I'm very interested to see. I do think he's quite clean with his hands...moves well. I can't see us keeping Eleumunor. He's being given every opportunity and he really seems lost.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm very interested to see. I do think he's quite clean with his hands...moves well. I can't see us keeping Eleumunor. He's being given every opportunity and he really seems lost.

I wasn't able to watch the game so I appreciate the clips and I'm with you on Elumenor. His footwork and balance was just terrible from the few clips I seen. Brown looked really good. Mekari is interesting and we gotta keep the best 8 or 9 and with the trade of Lewis he's got a bonafide shot and also the ability to play center...…

What are your takes on Senat? I know I really liked what I seen in the preseason last year. The 4 backups right now if we keep 9 could be Bozeman and Mekari handling the inside positions with Senat manning the outside and Hurst being the ultimate wildcard. Also if you have anything on Skura please.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

We’ll have to see how mekari gets on but if he starts getting more snaps in preseason at an earlier point in the game I think he’s going to have a fairly ok chance of making this roster given the fact that no one is stamping their name on the LG spot

Reminds me a little of how Michael pierce gained traction during the preseason of his rookie year

Filmstudy

Staff Member
Filmstudy
Writer
not gonna lie - the way the coaches and reporters have been framing the LG battle it looks like Eluemunor and Powers are getting first crack at the job in front of hurst and that the coaches are hoping that someone wins the job and not default back to hurst

That's exactly how I see it. Hurst would be an stopgap, but the Ravens want either Loomy or Powers to win the job. Ivan Evans (@coachevans9) made a good point on the offense podcast that it's better to try Eluemunor first at LG, because if that doesn't work, you can reacclimate him to the backup tackle position.

As of now, I see 6 linemen with secure jobs (Stanley, Skura, Yanda, Brown, Bozeman, Powers) and the other 3 (Senat, Loomy, and Hurst) are fighting for 2 spots if the Ravens keep 8 OL which seems likely given other depth. An injury could end the debate, but I could see any one of those 3 cut.

A1A

Veteran
Btw so I didn't know anything about Makeri until reading about him on here. So after a little digging did yall know that back in March he was considered the #3 best tackle?? I guess he didnt do to well at the combine etc...now it doesnt suprise me that hes doing well in TC.

A1A

Veteran
Article on PFF April 5, 2019 top 5 pass-blocking tackle prospects.

1T.Edoga
1T.Risner
3T.Ford
3T.Mekari***
5.Dillard

Last edited:

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
I wasn't able to watch the game so I appreciate the clips and I'm with you on Elumenor. His footwork and balance was just terrible from the few clips I seen. Brown looked really good. Mekari is interesting and we gotta keep the best 8 or 9 and with the trade of Lewis he's got a bonafide shot and also the ability to play center...…

What are your takes on Senat? I know I really liked what I seen in the preseason last year. The 4 backups right now if we keep 9 could be Bozeman and Mekari handling the inside positions with Senat manning the outside and Hurst being the ultimate wildcard. Also if you have anything on Skura please.
I haven't had much of a look at Senat in particular. I'm fairly concerned about this line in protection

Damn and I've never heard of him before TC started. It looks like he wasn't invited to the combine and his arm length wasn't above the league-wide threshold.

He tests really poorly. The thing is Ive seen more promise with Mekari than Ive ever seen from Eluemenor over the years, the balance and positioning alone is worlds apart. With how pathetic our interior is (outside of 34yo Yanda) Id say he has a good shot to make the roster.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Has LG even been figgered out yet?? Bozeman started there last night and looked pretty damn solid. Powers at RG looks like he could replace Yanda in a year or two.