• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Offensive Line Thread

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
I feel you man. Im not sold on anyone till a regular season game.
Both of these centers we just traded for are coming off major injuries and both only have a few starts due to injuries. I know the first guy cleared his exam but with both these guys, their team's fans don't seem too upset like some Browns fans were when Greco was cut. Not saying we would be able to match what other teams could offer if they wanted Greco, but I do believe he has the talent to be a starter for us.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Alex Boone makes a ton of sense. He knows Roman's scheme and has excelled in it in the past...

But getting released from the vikings who have had oline troubles of their own is just not a good look

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
He is still a decent LG, just not an All-Pro anymore.
Well. I would hope so. Graded out as above average per PFF and he's excelled in Roman's scheme in the past.
Him or Greco are my choices, but Boone is the more ideal one for that reason, plus he's two years younger. Having him next to Stanley and boom. We suddenly have a very good interior and a really good oline imo.
Stanley-Boone-Jensen-Yanda-Howard.

That's a good run blocking oline.

jboy19

Pro Bowler
Well. I would hope so. Graded out as above average per PFF and he's excelled in Roman's scheme in the past.
Him or Greco are my choices, but Boone is the more ideal one for that reason, plus he's two years younger. Having him next to Stanley and boom. We suddenly have a very good interior and a really good oline imo.

I'd love to have Boone (and drop Bergstrom). Definitely worried about the price tag though, wouldn't be surprised for a team with a lot of cap room to go all in on him.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor

As much as you hate it I could see Hurst beating out Howard based on Howards play.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I'd love to have Boone (and drop Bergstrom). Definitely worried about the price tag though, wouldn't be surprised for a team with a lot of cap room to go all in on him.
He's worth every penny if he can protect Joe. I'd pay the man personally. Reunite him with Roman.

We're desperate. Beggars can't be choosers, and Ozzie has gotten very lucky here. He's an idiot if he does not take advantage of this.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
As much as you hate it I could see Hurst beating out Howard based on Howards play.
Howard appears to be out of football shape, so I expect him to start at some point in the season even if he loses out on it week one.

And fuck, we better put a TE on the right side at all times if this happens. He was not as good this preseason as some would leave you to believe as a pass blocker. Allowing a decent amount of pressures from when I went back to review film.

If we get Boone though, that's four starters I have full confidence in. That'd be huge.

The Raven

Veteran
He's worth every penny if he can protect Joe. I'd pay the man personally. Reunite him with Roman.

We're desperate. Beggars can't be choosers, and Ozzie has gotten very lucky here. He's an idiot if he does not take advantage of this.
Boone is overrated and is still riding the popularity from his San Fran days. He's been in decline since then.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Boone is overrated and is still riding the popularity from his San Fran days. He's been in decline since then.
Boone was still above average the past two seasons albeit slightly(which by PFF's metrics is still a good linemen) and frankly he's better than anyone we've got. That said, he's got experience in the scheme and has had his best days with Roman. There is a possibility that he gets back to performing at a good level by reuniting with him.

It makes a ton of sense. Even if he's in decline he's still a good guard.

The Raven

Veteran
Boone was still above average the past two seasons albeit slightly(which by PFF's metrics is still a good linemen) and frankly he's better than anyone we've got. That said, he's got experience in the scheme and has had his best days with Roman. There is a possibility that he gets back to performing at a good level by reuniting with him.

It makes a ton of sense. Even if he's in decline he's still a good guard.
He. Got. Cut. By. The. Vikings. Then, a hack depth player took a job.

Seriously, the Vikings are eating $3.7 million to cut him. They didn't do that lightly. Nick Easton, who went undrafted out of Harvard in 2015 and was traded away from us as a rookie, took Boone's job after outplaying him in the preseason. Boone is a shadow of his former self.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
He. Got. Cut. By. The. Vikings. Then, a hack depth player took a job.

Seriously, the Vikings are eating $3.7 million to cut him. They didn't do that lightly. Nick Easton, who went undrafted out of Harvard in 2015 and was traded away from us as a rookie, took Boone's job after outplaying him in the preseason. Boone is a shadow of his former self.

He was cut because he refused to take a paycut(which would actually indicate a decline, but I acknowledged that earlier in my first post about him). The vikings also switched to a zone scheme that didn't really fit him, all in all it makes sense as to why they released him. It's why I'm thinking a return to a power scheme could do him some good even if he doesn't return to form. He's isn't as good as he used to be but I'd rather have him then anyone we got on the roster(well, at least anyone who is competing for LG. He's obviously not as good as Stanley or Yanda).

It makes sense to bring him on as an acquisition.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
If Tre Jacksons knees ever check out he would be a nice pickup. From talent standpoint he has pro bowl potential at G and C

jboy19

Pro Bowler
I think a bunch of people here liked Dorian Johnson out of the draft last year (Guard, Pitt). Just got released after being selected in the 4th Round.