• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Offensive Line Thread

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
This is hearsay, but supposedly bowanko did pretty good at center this preseason. Goal is probably to move Jensen to left guard

The Raven

Veteran
Depth. I wouldn't be surprised if we wanted to move Jensen to LG. But who the hell is this guy?

Sigh. Still would rather have Greco?
Greco is 32. Bowanko is 26. Make sense?

From 5 minutes of googling, Bowanko sounds like a tall zone guy, almost sounds like Chris Myers, the former freak center in Houston. Sounds like he's quicker than he is strong. We seem to value that in centers, and it works if you aren't too weak like Zuttah

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Greco is 32. Bowanko is 26. Make sense?

From 5 minutes of googling, Bowanko sounds like a tall zone guy, almost sounds like Chris Myers, the former freak center in Houston. Sounds like he's quicker than he is strong. We seem to value that in centers, and it works if you aren't too weak like Zuttah
Not sure what to think of that. I thought Jensen as doing just fine. Maybe we think he's better at LG, but not really sure. Even at Greco's older age, guards and centers have shown an ability to play at a good level into their mid thirties(countless examples. Birk, Brian Waters, Steve Hutchinson, Jonathan Goodwin, more). Not only that but I think his ability to play all three interior positions would be invaluable for several reasons.

But that's just me. I don't run the team for a reason

This is hearsay, but supposedly bowanko did pretty good at center this preseason. Goal is probably to move Jensen to left guard
Given we wanted to give Zuttah another shot (who plays C), traded for Bergstrom who is listed as a C, and now Bowanko who is also listed as C, would seem to indicate we're looking to move Jensen to LG. I don't know if that is a knock on Jensen and his ability to play C .... it could have as much to do with us not wanting to have Hurst at LG. Before we made these moves, he was likely to be our starting LG.

Not sure what to think of that. I thought Jensen as doing just fine. Maybe we think he's better at LG, but not really sure. Even at Greco's older age, guards and centers have shown an ability to play at a good level into their mid thirties(countless examples. Birk, Brian Waters, Steve Hutchinson, Jonathan Goodwin, more). Not only that but I think his ability to play all three interior positions would be invaluable for several reasons.

I think Jensen was doing fine as well, but I do think they probably like him at G better and he was playing C out of necessity. I think this is all about getting guys with interior line versatility to give us depth at C position and getting Hurst back to be a backup tackle instead of forcing him into the G position.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Given we wanted to give Zuttah another shot (who plays C), traded for Bergstrom who is listed as a C, and now Bowanko who is also listed as C, would seem to indicate we're looking to move Jensen to LG. I don't know if that is a knock on Jensen and his ability to play C .... it could have as much to do with us not wanting to have Hurst at LG. Before we made these moves, he was likely to be our starting LG.
Having Hurst starting at lg Or anywhere for that matter is a scary thought to you me Ozzie, Flacco and more importantly @Lost_In_Translation

The Raven

Veteran

I like Bowanko as an option because he's athletic and long -- two very important traits for a guy that has to block people as soon as he snaps the ball. Across the league, there's a trend of getting taller/faster centers who can create separation at the snap, as opposed to bringing in beefcakes. Instead, we're seeing more beefcakes at guard.

I love Jensen but I'm not opposed to a little more athleticism at center. I do think Jensen would be a better guard than center, and he'd be a better guard than anyone else we have. He can pull and trap better than Skura and Hurst and Howard.

But, for fuck sake, I'd love to keep Jensen in one position. Since we drafted him, we've given him snaps at RT, RG, C, LG, and even LT for a period in one minicamp. We've moved him to RG to LG to C and back again. I'd like to watch my dude blossom already.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Having Hurst starting at lg IR anywhere is a scary thought to you me Ozzie, Flacco and more importantly @Lost_In_Translation
I'm totally okay with Hurst as a backup at this point, but any excuse to use this gif is one I am going to take.
giphy.webp

giphy.gif

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I like Bowanko as an option because he's athletic and long -- two very important traits for a guy that has to block people as soon as he snaps the ball. Across the league, there's a trend of getting taller/faster centers who can create separation at the snap, as opposed to bringing in beefcakes. Instead, we're seeing more beefcakes at guard.

I love Jensen but I'm not opposed to a little more athleticism at center. I do think Jensen would be a better guard than center, and he'd be a better guard than anyone else we have. He can pull and trap better than Skura and Hurst and Howard.

But, for fuck sake, I'd love to keep Jensen in one position. Since we drafted him, we've given him snaps at RT, RG, C, LG, and even LT for a period in one minicamp. We've moved him to RG to LG to C and back again. I'd like to watch my dude blossom already.
Hold on. Gotta get Jensen snaps at TE. Lord knows we need a Pitta replacement.

You may need to be chill with him starting at LG in week 1. I do think we've made these O line moves with the expectation that one of them will be our starting C and we'll move Jensen to LG, but I'm not sure we're going to take a new addition 1 week before the season and have them starting week 1. For what it is worth, the depth chart is still showing Hurst as our starting LG

Basically, I still don't know really what our starting line up is for week 1 along the offensive front.

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
We made two trades and I am only slightly more optimistic than I was 3 days ago. I am getting flashbacks to Lee Evans. Hate to be such a doubter, it is just that I am a huge believer that games are won or lost the in the trenches and outside of Stanley and Yanda I can take or leave the rest. I was a little optimistic about signing Howard but that has even waned.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
We made two trades and I am only slightly more optimistic than I was 3 days ago. I am getting flashbacks to Lee Evans. Hate to be such a doubter, it is just that I am a huge believer that games are won or lost the in the trenches and outside of Stanley and Yanda I can take or leave the rest. I was a little optimistic about signing Howard but that has even waned.
I feel you man. Im not sold on anyone till a regular season game.