• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Offensive Line Thread

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Alex Boone, at 6'8, doesn't have a low center of gravity but what was of the league's best run blockers for several years. Evan Mathis, at 6'5, doesn't have a low center of gravity. What I'd like Lewis to do is pull an Evan Mathis: reinvent yourself as a player and get faster. If Lewis had a better first step and more drive, he could absolutely be a mauler. Flexibility and a good first step are really crucial parts of being a mauler -- it's what's made Yanda so good. He's 6'3 and they say he's 320 but I dunno about that. But he owns guys with 30 pounds on him. Why? He's got the leverage. flexibility, and burst to get off the ball and crash the guy down.

How isn't it a better fit? Did you watch Lewis try and reach block last year? It was pitiful. Gap is the only thing he'll be good at because he's just too tall and not agile enough.
But Alex Lewis is far from Evan Mathis or Alex Boone.

And yeah, he has zero agility and foot movement, so you want that guy on pull blocks? Which roman uses a shitload of btw, not me, I also don't want him being the primary blocker opening our holes, because he isn't powerful enough to do that.

He essentially pass blocks well and that's it, is what I'm getting at.

The Raven

Veteran
But Alex Lewis is far from Evan Mathis or Alex Boone.

And yeah, he has zero agility and foot movement, so you want that guy on pull blocks? Which roman uses a shitload of btw, not me, I also don't want him being the primary blocker opening our holes, because he isn't powerful enough to do that.

He essentially pass blocks well and that's it, is what I'm getting at.
As far as pulls go, I read something the other day that said guards are pulling less and tackles are pulling more these days because defenses are too fast for guards to get out there. There's a movement toward getting beefy, beefy interiors and athletic tackles. I like Lewis trap blocking but not pulling.

I can't account for him being the playside block. He does lack the power for that. Getting quicker off the ball will help with that, as will better hand use.

The Raven

Veteran
Boone and Mathis are both tall but had elite traits, Boone has elite hand usage and wingspan and Mathis was an elite athlete who was out of shape. Lewis could still improve his hands going forward but hitting targets in space seems to be something you have or you dont, take our 300lb FB Ricard for example he seems to have a penchant for hitting his targets in space.
Hitting targets in space is about hip flexibility in my experience, something that a 6'6 OL probably lacks.

Wingspan is nice for pass blocking but it doesn't really help generate push in the run game. It gets you separation and not much else. I'll give you the hand usage though.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Yanda going down is going to make it very difficult this year, but I believe the dl will rebound when b will comes back

Hitting targets in space is about hip flexibility in my experience, something that a 6'6 OL probably lacks.

Wingspan is nice for pass blocking but it doesn't really help generate push in the run game. It gets you separation and not much else. I'll give you the hand usage though.

Youre right about Boone, I wouldnt classify him as an elite guard in his prime but he had some farmboy strength and could engulf guys with his size. Hes a bit of a unicorn in that sense too because he doesnt have a whole lot of bulk, but he gets brought up all the time as an example of height on the interior.

I think you got to make a trade at guard

We could.... but why do that when we can keep doing what we're doing!

images

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Anyone else think Ravens draft 3/4 O-linemen in the first 5 rounds of the 2018 draft

We will have more cap this coming up off-season than we've had in recent years, right? Shit, I'd try and pick up either Norwell or Berger, try and get Allen Robinson since Wallace is gone, and depending on how we finish the season, draft Barkley. We need a game changing running back, some interior offensive linemen and playmakers on the outside with Perriman and Robinson and Maclin in the slot. Could you imagine that offense? I know it's more than likely unrealistic, but one can dream.

The Greek

Veteran
Anyone else think Ravens draft 3/4 O-linemen in the first 5 rounds of the 2018 draft
most likely 2 because lewis and siragusa will be healthy next season but finding yandas replacement and a rt is a must. need a qb as well. flacco looks like he no longer wants to play. showed no emotion or fire as the leader of the offense.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
most likely 2 because lewis and siragusa will be healthy next season but finding yandas replacement and a rt is a must. need a qb as well. flacco looks like he no longer wants to play. showed no emotion or fire as the leader of the offense.
I'd say get one or two in FA and draft two in the draft. Bolster the depth and find starters. It'd be a damn good plan

JAAM

Hall of Famer

I agree with this. We need to find his replacement. It doesn't have to be Rosen or Darnold, but a solid pickup in the 2nd or 3rd. That's where Kaep, Carr and Dalton were found. It's time to groom for the future.

RayRayRaven

Veteran
I agree with this. We need to find his replacement. It doesn't have to be Rosen or Darnold, but a solid pickup in the 2nd or 3rd. That's where Kaep, Carr and Dalton were found. It's time to groom for the future.
it to late now but for two years wanted to trade joe and eat the dead cap now hes got no trade value to make eatin the cap worth it. gotta take ur profit when you can.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
We will have more cap this coming up off-season than we've had in recent years, right? Shit, I'd try and pick up either Norwell or Berger, try and get Allen Robinson since Wallace is gone, and depending on how we finish the season, draft Barkley. We need a game changing running back, some interior offensive linemen and playmakers on the outside with Perriman and Robinson and Maclin in the slot. Could you imagine that offense? I know it's more than likely unrealistic, but one can dream.
If we are in range to get Barkley, we are in range to get mcglinchey, which I would prefer by a mile, and I may be barkleys biggest fan on these boards. We desperately need to get some quality OL play otherwise we are gonna start spiraling into irrelevancy.

The next 5 years is going to be crucial too going forward as we are well into the second half of Flaccos career, we need to keep him as healthy as possible.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor

No, but I think 2 is likely.
James Hurst and Ryan Jensen are both UFAs in 2018. Right now that is 2/5 of our starting OL. We have Stanley under contract, as well as Yanda and Howard, and Lewis, too. That's 4/5 of our starting OL and Nico Siragusa is coming off an injury. If we can retain one or both of Hurst and Jensen, that will change things but I'm not sure if we will be as desperate at OL as people think. Let's look at it like this--the starting OL if everyone was healthy would be:

Stanley | Lewis | ? | Yanda | Howard (?)

We have Eluemunor and Siragusa coming back as depth guys, so unless we cut Howard, there's not a lot of places to keep people. Jensen I could see back because of his ability at Center, if he does well this year and we can afford him, but it's a crap shoot if we go heavy on OL. Honestly, I think QB is a much higher priority than OL because I think we have the guys for OL just not the depth, but you don't take depth with a 1st round draft pick. That said, I'd definitely go Nelson if he is even there. He's going to be a good player, IMO, and OL has become a hot commodity.

James Hurst and Ryan Jensen are both UFAs in 2018. Right now that is 2/5 of our starting OL. We have Stanley under contract, as well as Yanda and Howard, and Lewis, too. That's 4/5 of our starting OL and Nico Siragusa is coming off an injury. If we can retain one or both of Hurst and Jensen, that will change things but I'm not sure if we will be as desperate at OL as people think. Let's look at it like this--the starting OL if everyone was healthy would be:

Stanley | Lewis | ? | Yanda | Howard (?)

We have Eluemunor and Siragusa coming back as depth guys, so unless we cut Howard, there's not a lot of places to keep people. Jensen I could see back because of his ability at Center, if he does well this year and we can afford him, but it's a crap shoot if we go heavy on OL. Honestly, I think QB is a much higher priority than OL because I think we have the guys for OL just not the depth, but you don't take depth with a 1st round draft pick. That said, I'd definitely go Nelson if he is even there. He's going to be a good player, IMO, and OL has become a hot commodity.
I think a LG is definitely in play in the first round but I haven't seen anyone emerge right now. Alex Lewis went down with that ACL injury and can you be sure that you can depend on him? I think we've got our eyes on a QB but the right guy needs to show up to put the pressure on Joe. Another position though has to be WR. We got Maclin for one more year and Wallace is a FA. Even though I believe in Perriman, the way things are isn't helping him at all and he's not going to be relied upon going forward if the trend continues. It wouldn't surprise me if we took Calvin Ridley or Christian Kirk or went hard after whoever is the top WR. WR is very high on the list.