• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Offensive Line Thread

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Looking at the contracts given to other top centers over the past year we're looking at around $50 million over 5 years with 30 guaranteed, and thats just the start point before we even get to cap inflation.
He’s not going to get that kind of money for one year of production. I just cant see any team paying him that much at this point.

He’s not going to get that kind of money for one year of production. I just cant see any team paying him that much at this point.

People also thought KO was going to take a hometown discount for 8 million a year too. If Jensen continues to be one of the best centers in the league someone with cap will throw Brandon Linder money at him.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
It's crazy, that's why I don't believe we're going to draft a lot of OL, because we have an enormous amount of those allready. You mentionned the starters, by year's end Eluemunor and Skura will be great depth along with Hurst as a great swing tackle. Quality and depth wise without the ridiculous amount of injuries our OL is the best in the league no doubts.
I still think we need to draft some. We gotta build a team for the future, there's no more selling out to win now imo, we have a great foundation for a 5-8 year run we just have to be smart with contracts and build important parts, a good young OL opens our window to get another SB, and also gives us long term stability. Once yanda and Howard are gone we'all need a full overhaul of the right side, we still need a legit LG. If we resign Jensen, draft Nelson, and yanda comes back healthy and Howard continues this great play, then we're looking at the best line in the league and good luck stopping the iso and dive against Nelson, yanda, and jensen.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
People also thought KO was going to take a hometown discount for 8 million a year too. If Jensen continues to be one of the best centers in the league someone with cap will throw Brandon Linder money at him.
Yes they did, but KO had shown multiple years of top guard play in the league and he was paid LT money. Jensen is showing up in a contract year. Yes that’s the best year to do it, but let’s do it in more than one year.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Looking at the contracts given to other top centers over the past year we're looking at around $50 million over 5 years with 30 guaranteed, and thats just the start point before we even get to cap inflation.
Like I said, centers don't come a dime a dozen, that's a guy who has earned it and a guy we can't let walk. We simply won't find another quality center anytime soon, we are one of the few teams with a good center, and not just good, but excellent. We will be in big trouble up front without him

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I still think we need to draft some. We gotta build a team for the future, there's no more selling out to win now imo, we have a great foundation for a 5-8 year run we just have to be smart with contracts and build important parts, a good young OL opens our window to get another SB, and also gives us long term stability. Once yanda and Howard are gone we'all need a full overhaul of the right side, we still need a legit LG. If we resign Jensen, draft Nelson, and yanda comes back healthy and Howard continues this great play, then we're looking at the best line in the league and good luck stopping the iso and dive against Nelson, yanda, and jensen.
At this point, Nelson won't be available when we pick. The hype he's getting is way too much for him to go out of the top15. If we're to go after an OL in the first I'm banking on McGlinchey or Billy Price.

Yes they did, but KO had shown multiple years of top guard play in the league and he was paid LT money. Jensen is showing up in a contract year. Yes that’s the best year to do it, but let’s do it in more than one year.

Brandon Linder is the highest paid center in history, from memory he hasnt even made a Pro Bowl just 3rd on the PFF rankings after one year.

Like I said, centers don't come a dime a dozen, that's a guy who has earned it and a guy we can't let walk. We simply won't find another quality center anytime soon, we are one of the few teams with a good center, and not just good, but excellent. We will be in big trouble up front without him

I think center is as important (if not more) than LT and if Jensen continues how hes playing then hes probably worth 10 million, but can we afford that? Every year we're always right up against the cap.

Ant2ney

Practice Squad
Question.. what should we do in the draft as far as oline? If howard continues to impress im sure we ill
Keep him. Stanley, lock for LT. yanda, Rg lock. we also have lewis and nico, but do we give up on them and draft a lineman in the 1st if one is there?

IMO we just keep drafting them. If we take a couple of Olineman this draft I wouldn’t see it as giving up on the current young guys. If they all turn out good then even better, they drop like flies as the season goes on anyway.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
IMO we just keep drafting them. If we take a couple of Olineman this draft I wouldn’t see it as giving up on the current young guys. If they all turn out good then even better, they drop like flies as the season goes on anyway.
yea i agree, but i was really just referring to the 1st rnd. I dont want us to draft an OL in 1st. We have had lots of success drafting OL in later rounds

rossihunter2

Staff Member
was watching some more ryan jensen stuff and i know filmstudy said it but i just want to reemphasise just how nasty jensen is - like he was blocking a guy who was just swinging at him well before the play was over and the whistle - and all the while he was just trucking him backwards as this guy was swiping at his helmet

on another play his helmet comes off and he just keeps pancaking khalil mack and then plays through the echo of the whistle and 2 raiders come at him including mack and his helmet is nowhere to be seen but he doesnt care one bit

he literally is taking the toughness that yanda often shows and replacing yanda's technique and finesse with his own hint of road grading nastiness - its crazy how physical he is being both in the pass and run - if he keeps this up i dont see how we can let him go especially with all the future age/injury concerns we might have on the line

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I was firmly for Jensen because of the change to blocking philosophy, but even the Ravens writers seemed to think Urschel would beat out Jensen.
Urschel was too weak, he was ok in a ZBS (and still) but for a power base scheme in which we wanted to get rid of Zuttah-lites, he wasn't meant to be a starter

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I was firmly for Jensen because of the change to blocking philosophy, but even the Ravens writers seemed to think Urschel would beat out Jensen.
I suck at observing OL lol. The only way i will notice you is if youre giving up sacks or playing really well vs a top pass rusher like how stanley and howard did last sunday. Watching tape on OL i have no idea what to look for so i usually stay out of those discussions