• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Lowkey can't wait to see what the passing game will look like for Lamar. Could see us going from a play action deep shots based passing game to a quick strike, almost fink and dunk style to fit Lamar's style more. All that sprinkled in with some RPO and option runs of course.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Lowkey can't wait to see what the passing game will look like for Lamar. Could see us going from a play action deep shots based passing game to a quick strike, almost fink and dunk style to fit Lamar's style more. All that sprinkled in with some RPO and option runs of course.

im kind of assuming the opposite - lamar excels at deep shots off play fakes and if we start adding bootlegs from under centre to his repertoire i see him becoming even more lethal

his weakness has always been short distance accuracy so i dont think dink and dunk is going to be his strength in the nfl even if improved mechanics do change that

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
im kind of assuming the opposite - lamar excels at deep shots off play fakes and if we start adding bootlegs from under centre to his repertoire i see him becoming even more lethal

his weakness has always been short distance accuracy so i dont think dink and dunk is going to be his strength in the nfl even if improved mechanics do change that
Disagree, he does well on those deep shots off PA because he has such a squeaky clean pocket with defenders playing spy, but his deep ball accuracy overall was very shaky in more typical situations. His short accuracy is shaky as well, and again this tends to stem from leg and core mechanics, but I trust his overall short accuracy more than his deep, I’ve seen a fair amount of poorly placed deep balls, if he doesn’t have a clean pocket and a wide open wr he tends to miss because he just isn’t placing it where his guy can catch it when there is a defender nearby. He has excellent touch in the intermediate, good velocity in the short, but the accuracy just gets away from him occasionally on all levels, and the deep ball seems to be where that happens by far the most.

On a grand slam success of a PA/RPO though, he’s money most of the time

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter

I don't think short distance is his weakness at all... In fact the slant is his best throw by far. He can sling it deep but he doesn't have good placement outside the numbers. His best deep shot is the post. A quick passing offense would fit his short accuracy, his zip and his lightning quick release.

I do like the bootleg as it is one of my favourite play to ease a young QB and even moreso when said QB has the best legs in the league.
think

That said I think a healthy dose of «levels» plays, pick plays and seam/stick routes from his TEs are the best way to use his strength and keep a varied offense.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I don't think short distance is his weakness at all... In fact the slant is his best throw by far. He can sling it deep but he doesn't have good placement outside the numbers. His best deep shot is the post. A quick passing offense would fit his short accuracy, his zip and his lightning quick release.

I do like the bootleg as it is one of my favourite play to ease a young QB and even moreso when said QB has the best legs in the league.
think

That said I think a healthy dose of «levels» plays, pick plays and seam/stick routes from his TEs are the best way to use his strength and keep a varied offense.
let lamar roll out plenty
let him RPO plenty
read-option and option sweeps plenty with alex collins who is devastating on the edge
let mark andrews play backyard football, its what he does best, thats lamars security blanket
hurst inline, run chip blocks to seams or drags often, let him run with a head of steam, make big plays and pick up YAC
let hurst run the pick for others, this can be especially effective with andrews who is very opportunistic on small coverage slips
run hurst out of the backfield plenty, pass pro/dumpoff/adlib deep shots when jackson extends the play
if lasley is who we drafted him to be, get that big play chemistry going, because he could be lethal on extended plays downfield

keep a strong OL always, dont be pete carroll and think mobile qbs mean you can get away with a shit OL, jackson is a very good passer with a clean pocket and the drop off in his passing game with and without a clean pocket is massive.

im leaving guys like crabtree and brown out of it because i dont see either of them being here by the time jackson takes over. hopefully snead is on top of his game and can last a long time here and be jacksons other security blanket after andrews.

this philosophy i think suits the needs of who should be our best players and maximizes all their talents, and is diverse enough to be able to perform well against any defense, of course assuming these guys pan out.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
let lamar roll out plenty
let him RPO plenty
read-option and option sweeps plenty with alex collins who is devastating on the edge
let mark andrews play backyard football, its what he does best, thats lamars security blanket
hurst inline, run chip blocks to seams or drags often, let him run with a head of steam, make big plays and pick up YAC
let hurst run the pick for others, this can be especially effective with andrews who is very opportunistic on small coverage slips
run hurst out of the backfield plenty, pass pro/dumpoff/adlib deep shots when jackson extends the play
if lasley is who we drafted him to be, get that big play chemistry going, because he could be lethal on extended plays downfield

keep a strong OL always, dont be pete carroll and think mobile qbs mean you can get away with a shit OL, jackson is a very good passer with a clean pocket and the drop off in his passing game with and without a clean pocket is massive.

im leaving guys like crabtree and brown out of it because i dont see either of them being here by the time jackson takes over. hopefully snead is on top of his game and can last a long time here and be jacksons other security blanket after andrews.

this philosophy i think suits the needs of who should be our best players and maximizes all their talents, and is diverse enough to be able to perform well against any defense, of course assuming these guys pan out.
I was trying to point out pass concepts rather than specific roles but I agree with what you said. You do have a point that we should keep a diverse receiving corps like the one we've build this offseason, as one of Lamar's greatest assets is his ability to distribute to various targets.
And I would have a hard time imagining a Ravens team being content with a below average OL.

I think the two TE sets will become a staple of our offense, as it keeps the offense on its heel with the threat of the run or the pass. The threat of Lamar's legs + Alex Collins would force opponents to load the box, creating favorable matchups for TE or big gains opportunities on screens. No need to mention how deadly Hurst could become.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I was trying to point out pass concepts rather than specific roles but I agree with what you said. You do have a point that we should keep a diverse receiving corps like the one we've build this offseason, as one of Lamar's greatest assets is his ability to distribute to various targets.
And I would have a hard time imagining a Ravens team being content with a below average OL.

I think the two TE sets will become a staple of our offense, as it keeps the offense on its heel with the threat of the run or the pass. The threat of Lamar's legs + Alex Collins would force opponents to load the box, creating favorable matchups for TE or big gains opportunities on screens. No need to mention how deadly Hurst could become.
Not content with below average OL? My guy have you watched every year since 2013? Lol, I know what you mean though. And yeah 2 TE sets are just great with strong run teams and mobile qbs, the eagles won their first SB with that concept.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Not content with below average OL? My guy have you watched every year since 2013? Lol, I know what you mean though. And yeah 2 TE sets are just great with strong run teams and mobile qbs, the eagles won their first SB with that concept.

i think you have lost context - our OL despite injuries and everything have consistently been average at worst - they havent been as good as we hoped but the majority of the rest of the league have had it much worse than us

Tank

Hall of Famer
i think you have lost context - our OL despite injuries and everything have consistently been average at worst - they havent been as good as we hoped but the majority of the rest of the league have had it much worse than us
No one was worse than the 2013 Ravens O line. No one. And I would say 2015 was below average. Stanley has helped a lot and they improved greatly the second half of last year.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i was listening to something interesting about the way Shanahan manipulates defences pre-snap simply by having a fullback (or lead blocker) on the field for up to 50% of the snaps (down the stretch last year)

so i wonder if we adopt more of a 3 TE set with Maxx basically as a lead blocker first and foremost (something he excelled at later in the year last year)

but it did also remind me that it doesnt matter how the rest of the league values a player if they can be a weapon in a particular scheme - Juice was overpaid in terms of being a fullback but he's an incredible cog in the 49ers offence moving forwards

and i think jerrick mckinnon is gonna be a household name type weapon this upcoming season

Tank

Hall of Famer
obviously 2013 was bad but i think that more than anything is a reason why organisationally i dont think that happens again
Hopefully someone steps into center and picks up where Jensen left off. Many do not appreciate how important a piece he was in the improvement of last year’s group.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Hopefully someone steps into center and picks up where Jensen left off. Many do not appreciate how important a piece he was in the improvement of last year’s group.
Jensen was a lotter better than Zuttah or Urschel. But I saw numerous missed pick ups or wrong decisions pass blocking wise. I think to have be Yanda back outweighs losing Jensen.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Jensen was a lotter better than Zuttah or Urschel. But I saw numerous missed pick ups or wrong decisions pass blocking wise. I think to have be Yanda back outweighs losing Jensen.
No matter who’s at either guard position if they don’t have a center better than Zuttah they are screwed. Jensen was the best center they’ve had since Birk and as he got better helped soften the blow of missing Yanda. It was after all his first year at the position.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I started watching football in 2015 so no actually. But as bad as that 2013 OL was, you can't say the FO was content with it as they made some investments the very next offseason to correct that.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
He was imortant but his level of play was overrated.

Tank

Hall of Famer
He was imortant but his level of play was overrated.
Only over rated in the contract he got as an unproven center, but that was market driven. No way to over rate the importance of having a capable center anchoring the O line. If you don’t have one you are screwed. I know I would be a lot more confident about the 2018 season if Ryan were still a Raven.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Only over rated in the contract he got as an unproven center, but that was market driven. No way to over rate the importance of having a capable center anchoring the O line. If you don’t have one you are screwed. I know I would be a lot more confident about the 2018 season if Ryan were still a Raven.
I don't think you got my point. As you said he was capable, solid. What made him so important is the fact that he plaid a pivotal position at a solid level. I don't think it will be hard to come close to that level of performance.

Reactions: cdp

Tank

Hall of Famer
I don't think you got my point. As you said he was capable, solid. What made him so important is the fact that he plaid a pivotal position at a solid level. I don't think it will be hard to come close to that level of performance.
Can’t say that I agree. It took them 4 years to get a guy at that level of performance and capable centers aren’t just sitting around waiting to play. Just look at the contract Jensen got, capability at the position is highly coveted. We need to hope that there’s someone on the squad that can step up because it’s unlikely we’ll find a capable center elsewhere.

Last edited: