• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Can’t say that I agree. It took them 4 years to get a guy at that level of performance and capable centers aren’t just sitting around waiting to play. Just look at the contract Jensen got, capability at the position is highly coveted. We need to hope that there’s someone on the squad that can step up because it’s unlikely we’ll find a capable center elsewhere.
We've basically played s different scheme every season. Hard to always find tje right personnel. From Caldwell/Castillo to Kubiak to Trestman/Marty to Marty/Roman.
Jensen was ok but still had his problems in pass blocking

Tank

Hall of Famer
We've basically played s different scheme every season. Hard to always find tje right personnel. From Caldwell/Castillo to Kubiak to Trestman/Marty to Marty/Roman.
Jensen was ok but still had his problems in pass blocking
As was mentioned before it was Jensen’s first year at center and he improved steadily as the year went on. Chances are he will be a good one for many years to come. And regardless of scheme Gradkowski and Zuttah were never going to be the answer. Hopefully Skura or Lewis can pick up where Ryan left off.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Lamar is looking the part, he’s settling in and I think he’ll be just fine when his time comes. He can’t hit a fade to save his life but those are low percentage throws anyway. With a clean pocket he can sling it all around the middle of the field and his improv releases are incredible, he sidearms between linemen with the same accuracy and velocity as his regular release, that’s rare.

My biggest worry at this point aside from his absolute refusal to slide, is his ability to hit those midrange throws where he’s gotta balance touch and velocity, like a 15 yard seam vs a cover 2, it’s gonna take a lot of work for him to discipline his arm for those kinds of throws. I also worry about him hitting out breaking routes vs zone because he had great decision making in college but quite a bit he failed to see linebackers and safeties trailing receivers from the inside. I’m loving his progress but I still think he definitely isn’t ready to start for those 2 key reasons, those are crucial weaknesses that can result in a lot of turnovers. A little bit of taming and training and those can be masked enough to make them a non issue

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
Lamar is looking the part, he’s settling in and I think he’ll be just fine when his time comes. He can’t hit a fade to save his life but those are low percentage throws anyway. With a clean pocket he can sling it all around the middle of the field and his improv releases are incredible, he sidearms between linemen with the same accuracy and velocity as his regular release, that’s rare.

My biggest worry at this point aside from his absolute refusal to slide, is his ability to hit those midrange throws where he’s gotta balance touch and velocity, like a 15 yard seam vs a cover 2, it’s gonna take a lot of work for him to discipline his arm for those kinds of throws. I also worry about him hitting out breaking routes vs zone because he had great decision making in college but quite a bit he failed to see linebackers and safeties trailing receivers from the inside. I’m loving his progress but I still think he definitely isn’t ready to start for those 2 key reasons, those are crucial weaknesses that can result in a lot of turnovers. A little bit of taming and training and those can be masked enough to make them a non issue
Idk, he still has me scratching my head on some of those deeper passes. He is not even close on some of them. I don’t know how you coach accuracy on a deep ball. I will say his passes are not resembling ducks as much as they were.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer

It seems all his accuracy issues go away if he throws on the run. Can't miss.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Idk, he still has me scratching my head on some of those deeper passes. He is not even close on some of them. I don’t know how you coach accuracy on a deep ball. I will say his passes are not resembling ducks as much as they were.
He just lacks deep accuracy, that’s it. Some qbs can’t even drive the ball more than 30 yards downfield but lamar does it with a flick of the wrist, you just don’t know where the fuck it’s landing lol. He does poorly on low percentage throws, not a huge deal to me when he’s a lethal weapon in the redzone and he can extend drives with his feet like no other

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
He just lacks deep accuracy, that’s it. Some qbs can’t even drive the ball more than 30 yards downfield but lamar does it with a flick of the wrist, you just don’t know where the fuck it’s landing lol. He does poorly on low percentage throws, not a huge deal to me when he’s a lethal weapon in the redzone and he can extend drives with his feet like no other
Did he fake out the defense on that red zone TD jog to the end zone or what? I loved it!

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Jackson looked decent—he isn’t ready but that’s expected and planned so I’m hardly surprised or concerned. We’ll see what happens next offseason when it’ll actual be a question whether we’re keeping Joe or not. I could easily see us just play it out and let Joe’s contract expire and collect a comp for him to give Lamar extra time. Lamar has that extra year of eligibility due to the 1st round trade up so it’s not entirely unlikely. He’s pretty good on those short passes but he’s gotta improve his deep and even intermediate throws. Not to say you can’t succeed using short dink and dunk passes a la Patriots.

Jackson looked decent—he isn’t ready but that’s expected and planned so I’m hardly surprised or concerned. We’ll see what happens next offseason when it’ll actual be a question whether we’re keeping Joe or not. I could easily see us just play it out and let Joe’s contract expire and collect a comp for him to give Lamar extra time. Lamar has that extra year of eligibility due to the 1st round trade up so it’s not entirely unlikely. He’s pretty good on those short passes but he’s gotta improve his deep and even intermediate throws. Not to say you can’t succeed using short dink and dunk passes a la Patriots.
Really don’t like our roster next season as of now. A lot of question marks at key positions. DeCosta is going to be challenged his first year as GM.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Really don’t like our roster next season as of now. A lot of question marks at key positions. DeCosta is going to be challenged his first year as GM.
But we have a big chunk of money coming off books either next year or the year after. His jobs gonna get easier. He’s just gotta hit on his draft picks