• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

Yes, I know she’s been his acting manager but she is one person and can only handle so much. Maybe it worked coming into the league but there’s no way she’s experienced enough to handle what’s coming and there will be vultures and sharks circling. That’s what you pay an agency for imo and it constitutes a large part of their value. It’s not just to negotiate on your behalf and handle the legal framework of your deals and obligations, but to shield you from pitfalls and snakes that materialize with fame and fortune.
This x10. Nail right on the head. There is no way his mom can handle alone what’s coming. I think she could still play a role help keep him grounded and maintain perspective but the overall operation can not be managed alone.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out but Lamar knows the only way to keep it rolling is to keep going out there and ballin out. Gladly he knows that must be his primary focus.

Craven_Raven

Practice Squad
Anyone see the columns about Jalen Hurts suggesting the ravens draft him and have two guys in the backfield with similar skill sets? All that tells me is that people still do not understand what Lamar Jackson is. There’s this narrative thread that seems to suggest any “athletic” QB can do what Lamar does and that nefarious forces have been the only thing preventing them from doing so in the past. It’s rather insane. The article I read called Jalen Hurts senior year stats “similar” to Lamar’s heisman season. I looked up the statistics and Hurts rushed for 20% fewer yards than Jackson did as a sophomore and 25% less than Jackson did as a junior at Louisville. Hurts had his senior season at Oklahoma with Oklahoma’s offensive line playing in front of him. These elements are never taken into consideration by people observing the college game. Johnny Manziel benefitted from this phenomenon when he was drafted by the browns. No one considered he was a wildass in college that was consistently bailed out by one of the best receiving corps assembled in the college game over the last 25 years. Conversely, despite Lamar going absolutely crazy on the field in college, the talent level around him was never taken into account. Instead of the team elevating him, he was elevating the entire team.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Anyone see the columns about Jalen Hurts suggesting the ravens draft him and have two guys in the backfield with similar skill sets? All that tells me is that people still do not understand what Lamar Jackson is. There’s this narrative thread that seems to suggest any “athletic” QB can do what Lamar does and that nefarious forces have been the only thing preventing them from doing so in the past. It’s rather insane. The article I read called Jalen Hurts senior year stats “similar” to Lamar’s heisman season. I looked up the statistics and Hurts rushed for 20% fewer yards than Jackson did as a sophomore and 25% less than Jackson did as a junior at Louisville. Hurts had his senior season at Oklahoma with Oklahoma’s offensive line playing in front of him. These elements are never taken into consideration by people observing the college game. Johnny Manziel benefitted from this phenomenon when he was drafted by the browns. No one considered he was a wildass in college that was consistently bailed out by one of the best receiving corps assembled in the college game over the last 25 years. Conversely, despite Lamar going absolutely crazy on the field in college, the talent level around him was never taken into account. Instead of the team elevating him, he was elevating the entire team.
Hurts also had one of the top WR in the upcoming draft in CeDee Lamb. I saw that article and it's pathetic.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I actually considered the idea, but only if hurts falls to somewhere in the third, which truthfully is even higher than where I think he belongs, Oklahoma has really made him look good but I remember what he’s always been.

if he ends up on day 3, which he won’t, I’d absolutely take a swing on him, because while he is not in the same goddamn universe as Lamar, he is somewhere around the Kaepernick/Tebow level where he can string together enough run and pass plays combined to keep a team afloat, and perhaps make some magic and just will a team down the field a few times per year as he’s been known to do. It would be crucial to keep the mobile element alive with this team and I simply don’t believe in trace mcsorley to ever be a viable backup. This team is doomed to collapse if Lamar sits out, we could go 16-0 and break every record and if Lamar rolls up once in the first quarter of a divisional round then our season is over. I think a guy like Jalen hurts would give us a chance if he had to play a second half in the playoffs.

But this is all the entirely moot and I’ll stfu now

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I actually considered the idea, but only if hurts falls to somewhere in the third, which truthfully is even higher than where I think he belongs, Oklahoma has really made him look good but I remember what he’s always been.

if he ends up on day 3, which he won’t, I’d absolutely take a swing on him, because while he is not in the same goddamn universe as Lamar, he is somewhere around the Kaepernick/Tebow level where he can string together enough run and pass plays combined to keep a team afloat, and perhaps make some magic and just will a team down the field a few times per year as he’s been known to do. It would be crucial to keep the mobile element alive with this team and I simply don’t believe in trace mcsorley to ever be a viable backup. This team is doomed to collapse if Lamar sits out, we could go 16-0 and break every record and if Lamar rolls up once in the first quarter of a divisional round then our season is over. I think a guy like Jalen hurts would give us a chance if he had to play a second half in the playoffs.

But this is all the entirely moot and I’ll stfu now

oh if we're drafting him in day 3 as a back-up then im all in - depending on how i end up grading him even a 3rd rounder might be ok but we're not drafting him to get more than 20 offensive snaps in a season with a healthy lamar if that's the case - he'd be a back-up in this system where he'd be one of the best system fits as a backup for this offence...

that being said if we ever have the chance to bring tyrod here to backup lamar that would be awesome

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Jalen Hurts story is completely out of whack. He will be picked by a team that needs a QB and thinks they'll do with Hurts what we did with Lamar.

Boy can throw bombs but has no touch. He can run but he's more of a Newton type. His downfall though - he takes too long to process stuff, that'll kill his pro career.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Jalen Hurts story is completely out of whack. He will be picked by a team that needs a QB and thinks they'll do with Hurts what we did with Lamar.

Boy can throw bombs but has no touch. He can run but he's more of a Newton type. His downfall though - he takes too long to process stuff, that'll kill his pro career.

he's got pretty awful pocket feel too from what ive seen so far - he's got some physical tools - will have to wait til i actually get into the film properly to see if he's got the pre-snap-post-snap mental agility

but ive hardly watched anything from any of this class this year - am way behind where i was this year and last year in terms of prospects and evaluations

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
I still can't believe Lamar blew up so fast to an elite QB. I knew he was going to be better after watching him in training camp but I don't think anyone expected this.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
he's got pretty awful pocket feel too from what ive seen so far - he's got some physical tools - will have to wait til i actually get into the film properly to see if he's got the pre-snap-post-snap mental agility

but ive hardly watched anything from any of this class this year - am way behind where i was this year and last year in terms of prospects and evaluations
I think his lack of pocket awareness is a direct result of a slow processing/reading of the defense. You'll find that he's fine on designed plays when they work but throw a wrinkle, he's done (unless he gets lucky).

Craven_Raven

Practice Squad
Believe it or not there is a contingent of fans who followed him through college who absolutely expected him to be a beast in the NFL and were flummoxed by the Polian led pre-draft campaign against Lamar.