• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Polian was definitely the most high profile pre-draft hater that made himself look like a moron with his takes but I have to push back on the “old white guy” narrative when it comes to Lamar. Many of Lamar’s staunchest and most belligerent critics are black dudes and former players. I can’t stand whitlocks show because of their flatly stupid takes on Lamar. It was 3/4 through the season before Whitlock acknowledged he was a good player. SAS has consistently taken a dump on Lamar regardless of how well he plays the QB position. Tony Gonzalez declared Lamar “too skinny” after the Patriots game on the MNF halftime show. Lavar Arrington is still hating. The list goes on.
for a Linebacker out of Penn State who was supposed to be the 2nd coming of LT, he could't take in a playbook. That being said, no way Arrington ever comes around.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Polian was definitely the most high profile pre-draft hater that made himself look like a moron with his takes but I have to push back on the “old white guy” narrative when it comes to Lamar. Many of Lamar’s staunchest and most belligerent critics are black dudes and former players. I can’t stand whitlocks show because of their flatly stupid takes on Lamar. It was 3/4 through the season before Whitlock acknowledged he was a good player. SAS has consistently taken a dump on Lamar regardless of how well he plays the QB position. Tony Gonzalez declared Lamar “too skinny” after the Patriots game on the MNF halftime show. Lavar Arrington is still hating. The list goes on.
Arrington, Gonzales, and (rofl) Doug gottlieb are by far the worst.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Can’t stand to listen to Gotlieb. He’s a colin cowherd wannabe but far more obnoxious with a lower IQ.
Gottlieb is really fucking bad lol. He’s like what you would get if you had a bot listen to every hot take on Lamar Jackson from the draft until midseason 2019, and had them write a segment about Lamar Jackson.

he hasn’t watched him play, it’s obvious.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
Let me give you another illustration of white old dudes hating Lamar intrinsically and through their inherent bias. I was watching Ravens talk on the local NBC sports channel I had on DVR. Charley Casserly was on it. While describing Lamar he used every possible excuse not to give Lamar direct credit but only tangentially and reluctantly. But, one statement he made about his accuracy struck a chord. He said 'Lamar may never be a very accurate QB - it may not be in his DNA'!

When you hear an old white male who thinks he knows football the way it was traditionally played and is feeling overwhelmed by transcendental talent like Lamar's and not able to comprehend the new NFL, the person's inherent racism occasionally slips out. But, the important thing he said (probably unintentionally) and parlayed with that statement is his inherent bias towards black QBs. He is inherently a racist and we need to acknowledge people like him, Kirwan (the other guy who didn't vote for Lamar) and Polian and not afford them the opportunity to affect the future of the NFL by giving them a podium and voting rights. That's all.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Add to that list Stephen A. and Cowherd please.

Haskins is a runner... and when he named off a bunch of Chargers players either retired or hurt.

Said it for a while, you're wasting your energy taking most of these talking heads seriously. I have a few I try to listen to, but for the most part like Jay said "It's only entertainment." Is it bad I hope the Raiders fail to get Mike Mayock back on NFLN?

Craven_Raven

Practice Squad
Let me give you another illustration of white old dudes hating Lamar intrinsically and through their inherent bias. I was watching Ravens talk on the local NBC sports channel I had on DVR. Charley Casserly was on it. While describing Lamar he used every possible excuse not to give Lamar direct credit but only tangentially and reluctantly. But, one statement he made about his accuracy struck a chord. He said 'Lamar may never be a very accurate QB - it may not be in his DNA'!

When you hear an old white male who thinks he knows football the way it was traditionally played and is feeling overwhelmed by transcendental talent like Lamar's and not able to comprehend the new NFL, the person's inherent racism occasionally slips out. But, the important thing he said (probably unintentionally) and parlayed with that statement is his inherent bias towards black QBs. He is inherently a racist and we need to acknowledge people like him, Kirwan (the other guy who didn't vote for Lamar) and Polian and not afford them the opportunity to affect the future of the NFL by giving them a podium and voting rights. That's all.

I’m not as quick to pull the racism trigger. I think in some cases it’s justified but in others it’s trite. Bill Polian def has something going on but there’s too many black dudes that have the same hang up that imo comes from their egos and the idea that they played in the best era or what they knew as the best QB was the best QB and nothing can threaten that. In fact in many of them I see something like jealousy.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

No need to listen to Charley Casserly. He was never a good GM and screwed up the Skins before Dan Snyder was even owner and killed David Carr in Houston. I don't even take his word as "with a grain of salt". Salt is right more often.

1994 1st round: Heath Shuler (bust galore)
1995 1st round: Michael Westbrook (bust)
1996 1st round: Andre Johnson (never played a down)

He was an awful GM and he's even worse as an analyst.

Last edited:
Reactions: cdp

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
I always felt like Polian got way more credit than he deserved. “The Architect “. Gimme a break. He did good work in Buffalo but he’s most lauded for his time in Indy.

What exactly did he do other than draft Manning instead of Leaf? IMO what he did was fail miserably to put a complete team around his gift of one of the greatest QBs of all time and manage 1 championship - and he only got that by being blessed with facing one of the worst NFC Super Bowl entries in memory ... the Rex Grossman led Bears.

When that gasbag Irsay slighted Manning upon his release by saying he only won one Super Bowl he should have been throwing shade on Bill not Peyton.

I don't even know where to start with Polian. Seems like he's a little biased. Lamar should have been an unanimous selection. I'm more disappointed with Kirwin and Miller since I used to listen to their show a lot and had strong admirartion for both but haven't listened lately since I'm done work for now berfore their show starts but seriously wtf.

Reactions: cdp

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I don't even know where to start with Polian. Seems like he's a little biased. Lamar should have been an unanimous selection. I'm more disappointed with Kirwin and Miller since I used to listen to their show a lot and had strong admirartion for both but haven't listened lately since I'm done work for now berfore their show starts but seriously wtf.
Matt Miller?

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’m not as quick to pull the racism trigger. I think in some cases it’s justified but in others it’s trite. Bill Polian def has something going on but there’s too many black dudes that have the same hang up that imo comes from their egos and the idea that they played in the best era or what they knew as the best QB was the best QB and nothing can threaten that. In fact in many of them I see something like jealousy.
Explain to me then the statement that 'accuracy may not be in Lamar's DNA' please? There's no rationale to explain the DNA aspect of it unless you believe in the stupid and idiotic 'Bell curve theory' right? While he may have innocently made that remark you immediately know that's what he thinks of black QBs inherently. At least that's my view on it.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
from Tony Siragusa on how LJ is not a run first quarterback and how good his vision is. I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but it's well said

Old Bay

Veteran
Explain to me then the statement that 'accuracy may not be in Lamar's DNA' please? There's no rationale to explain the DNA aspect of it unless you believe in the stupid and idiotic 'Bell curve theory' right? While he may have innocently made that remark you immediately know that's what he thinks of black QBs inherently. At least that's my view on it.

I respectfully disagree. The phrase not in one's DNA is pretty common, especially in the sports world. Players even use the phrase themselves.
"How did you manage to come back from a 20 point deficit and win?"
"Giving up is just not in my DNA."
As for Charlie, I don't know the guy personally, so I couldn't say for sure whether I thought he was a racist or not. But I can say that I've never heard him say anything that sounded racist. I'm sure if he had, it would be all over Twitter in an instant and he'd be forced into an apology and probably never seen or heard on an NFL-related broadcast again.

Look at that announcer from San Francisco who was talking about how it was difficult for a linebacker to quickly recognize the ball in Lamar's hands because his hands are more similar in color to the ball than a white man's hands. That statement blew up (even though I don't think he meant it in a racist way).

But we're talking about Charley Casserly here. I'm thinking he may have been referencing the fact that Lamar Jackson had never completed a season with a completion percentage over 60%....until this season. Is it possible that Charlie didn't even bother to check his completion percentage from this year? I think it's totally possible. I don't think he's that great of an analyst. Certainly wasn't a good GM. But I don't think I can accuse the guy of being a racist just based on that "DNA" statement. Just my opinion.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
He said 'Lamar may never be a very accurate QB - it may not be in his DNA'!

what's even worse about this is it's patently false - he's top 10 in the nfl in completion percentage with almost 2/3 of his passes completed (66.1%) despite the fact that with fewer attempts than most of the others every mistake he makes and every throwaway he has affects his number even more

he has better completion percentage in 2019 than all these playoff qbs:
Patrick Mahomes, Josh Allen, Tom Brady, Carson Wentz, Aaron Rodgers

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I respectfully disagree. The phrase not in one's DNA is pretty common, especially in the sports world. Players even use the phrase themselves.
"How did you manage to come back from a 20 point deficit and win?"
"Giving up is just not in my DNA."
As for Charlie, I don't know the guy personally, so I couldn't say for sure whether I thought he was a racist or not. But I can say that I've never heard him say anything that sounded racist. I'm sure if he had, it would be all over Twitter in an instant and he'd be forced into an apology and probably never seen or heard on an NFL-related broadcast again.

Look at that announcer from San Francisco who was talking about how it was difficult for a linebacker to quickly recognize the ball in Lamar's hands because his hands are more similar in color to the ball than a white man's hands. That statement blew up (even though I don't think he meant it in a racist way).

But we're talking about Charley Casserly here. I'm thinking he may have been referencing the fact that Lamar Jackson had never completed a season with a completion percentage over 60%....until this season. Is it possible that Charlie didn't even bother to check his completion percentage from this year? I think it's totally possible. I don't think he's that great of an analyst. Certainly wasn't a good GM. But I don't think I can accuse the guy of being a racist just based on that "DNA" statement. Just my opinion.
well, I've follow Charlie Casserly for longer than any members on this website due to the sheer fact that I'm a former Skins fan and was one for far too long. So you could say it's buried in my DNA. lol

That being said, I agree he is not a racist, just clearly a terrible GM.

Craven_Raven

Practice Squad

As the other guy said “not in your DNA” is a commonly used phrase. I’ve never heard someone give it a racist connotation until this thread. I’m not ready to convict/condemn people over turn of phrase.