• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Whatever dude. Sue the man for giving his opinion. We must all think linearly because I’m clearly such a retard right?

WTF are you talking about?
I don't agree with you about Flacco giving us better odds to do something this season and am questioning that.

There is no need for this. Just as you said everyone has their opinion, it should be ok to disagree as well.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Some interesting clips of Lamar here. All from him as a pocket passer

https://mobile.twitter.com/MattWaldman?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

thanks for posting - ive just binged all those clips - really interesting how its changed how i felt about both INTs lol
in-game i had no issue with the 2nd INT (and i still have no problem with the playcall in that spot and for lamar to throw that pass) but the bad placement let that INT happen

in-game i hated the read on the 1st INT and on review it was not a bad read at all - if he looks off the guy who tips the ball at any point in the dropback it's an easy conversion and a great read

lamar's been really good at going through multiple reads quickly but sometimes when he knows where he's going with the ball immediately he needs to remember to not stare down that target - he's great going through progressions but needs to remember to fake some of those reads more (he does it sometimes but he needs to do it even more - the best qbs at that were guys like peyton manning and they would do it all the time - just a quick look to the opposite side just to draw the eyes and body weight of the defenders to open up that hole)

also lamar's footwork vs the preseason is an incredible change - he looks awesome manipulating the pocket with just an economy of movement - feeling the rush, stepping up, sliding out, changing his delivery angle, continuously reading downfield while moving in the pocket

i said post-game that i loved what i saw and watching the waldman breakdowns im doubling down on that initial impression - big fan of what he's accomplishing - a couple of decisions/minor things change and his statline looks like 230 yds, 2 TD, 1 INT + 75 yds, 1 TD

and if im honest if statlines were representative of performance then the one i just posited above is a far better representation of his game than his actual statline

EDIT:

Also that throw to John Brown that was negated by penalty was an awesome throw and read and look off and everything - it was beautiful and if it had counted should be the number 1 play on any ravens highlight reel for him

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Definitely reasons for optimism here with LJ but keep in mind we just played two of the worst defenses we have played all year.

that's true but he also showed things that irrespective of the defence are impressive like the way he manipulates the pocket and reads downfield

and to be fair, joe's 2 marquee performances this year came against the bills in week 1 and the hapless week 4 steelers defence... not exactly carving up prime defences either

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Lamar looks really good in the pocket, poised as shit like usual. doesnt just stare down one wr..and you can see him scanning the field looking off different wrs fast af.. he just gotta stop throwing those flicked ass balls and put some power into his throws..
You should watch the Matt Waldman where it compares Josh Allen to Lamar Jackson and shows how poised LJ is in the pocket.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
ESPN, FOX and CBS... Lamar's only scrambling around, takes too many hits he's not a pocket passer. Lazy Vick comparisons. Why are the most of them even called analysts? Josh Allen is praised for being tough and carrying his team because he takes those hits. smh.
I won’t say it’s because he’s black as I’m not one to race bait, but I will say that there is a certain stigma there, and his speech and totally useful wonderlic score may push that narrative, and of course these are things that have always been magnified when said qb is black.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
... baker was the number Qb for me.. thought rosen was decent but baker just had all the nfl tools for me..didnt know what to think of lamar other than him looking good in the pocket.. i hope he starts rest of season. Seems like he has working his ass off cause dude been showing us signs of life. I just wanna see how comfortable he is vs better defenses
I had Rosen and baker 1a and 1b and lamar was secretly in front of darnold, It just felt like blasphemy to put him ahead of darnold but my gut told me to.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
i didnt hear any that when lamar coming out but then again i stopped watching these fake ass experts a few yrs ago lol.. i think most of these analyst just say shit in hopes of being right so they can be like “ i told you so”, but i bet if their job was on the line, they wouldnt say any of that shit. I cant wait for the day nfl and nba players start calling them out and throwing dirt on their name like how they do them.
It’s the old throw the spaghetti at the wall and see what sticks

Tank

Hall of Famer
that's true but he also showed things that irrespective of the defence are impressive like the way he manipulates the pocket and reads downfield

and to be fair, joe's 2 marquee performances this year came against the bills in week 1 and the hapless week 4 steelers defence... not exactly carving up prime defences either
Wasn’t comparing anything to Joe(wish that would stop), had nothing to do with the point I was making and I guess I should have explained. Playing at home against weak defenses lessens the difficulty and pressure of playing the position. I’m not saying LJ won’t continue to improve just saying things will be more difficult mentally and pressure filled playing better defenses in hostile environments. And if we were somehow able to make it to the tournament you can kick that difficulty and pressure up a few more notches. Is a 21 yo rookie ready to handle it? Don’t know, but obviously odds are against it.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
i did because of the tools - all 5 of those guys had elite traits which to me made them 1st rounders but josh allen was the least refined which dropped him down the board a little bit - he had the most issues that i felt werent as coachable as some of the other 1st round qbs
ngl I'm impressed with Allen. I didn't think he'd fix his footwork that quick. I had a 2nd round grade just because I thought I'd takes him longer.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
ngl I'm impressed with Allen. I didn't think he'd fix his footwork that quick. I had a 2nd round grade just because I thought I'd takes him longer.

he's also been the starter as a rookie for the 2nd longest time of all rookies which obviously helps development - it also tells you why its so important to get these rookie qbs starting as early as possible because it exponentially improves their development vs "learning" from the sideline

although i will say this for lamar (and this only happens because he's worked his ass off) but he has made it his business to learn the things he'd need to learn to start from the sideline - things like calling the play from the sideline to practice calling the plays in the huddle and getting better at it so that he can actually make these 2 starts (and hopefully more)

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
he's also been the starter as a rookie for the 2nd longest time of all rookies which obviously helps development - it also tells you why its so important to get these rookie qbs starting as early as possible because it exponentially improves their development vs "learning" from the sideline

although i will say this for lamar (and this only happens because he's worked his ass off) but he has made it his business to learn the things he'd need to learn to start from the sideline - things like calling the play from the sideline to practice calling the plays in the huddle and getting better at it so that he can actually make these 2 starts (and hopefully more)
I actually believe that a rookie qb is more prepared when they aren’t rushed into starting. Having Flacco under center has definitely helped Lamar tremendously. Now if a team doesn’t have a veteran on the bench that they trust, then the rookie has to be thrown into the mix and that doesn’t always play out well.