• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Ravens have the highest yards per carry on zone-read and option runs (week 1-12) 5.7 ypc. Only the Bears, Panthers and Seahawks are running these type of runs more.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Ravens have the highest yards per carry on zone-read and option runs (week 1-12) 5.7 ypc. Only the Bears, Panthers and Seahawks are running these type of runs more.
They wouldn't run that stuff more if Lamar was under center more, not only on RPO plays.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Lamar looks really good in the pocket, poised as shit like usual. doesnt just stare down one wr..and you can see him scanning the field looking off different wrs fast af.. he just gotta stop throwing those flicked ass balls and put some power into his throws..
Your thoughts on his two deep completions (one to Andrews and the other to Brown)? I thought they were on the money and perfectly in stride.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don't understand why the run game is so much better with Lamar than Joe. Is it because they have to account for Lamar as a runner?

Or is it something more. Joe has never been good at selling ball fakes and Lamar can use his legs to help him make additional passing progressions.

You look at Joe on the sidelines and he knows he's gone.

I'll always appreciate him for the Super Bowl Win.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I don't understand why the run game is so much better with Lamar than Joe. Is it because they have to account for Lamar as a runner?

Or is it something more. Joe has never been good at selling ball fakes and Lamar can use his legs to help him make additional passing progressions.

A big part of it is accounting for Lamar as a runner.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I just haven't seen much game film of him in college. They always show his incredible runs.
Highlights definitely show the runs, but game film shows everything. When watching film you also can tell he isn’t a run first qb and he goes through multiple reads. I had him in my top 20 and thought we would take him at 16

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Your thoughts on his two deep completions (one to Andrews and the other to Brown)? I thought they were on the money and perfectly in stride.

the mark andrews one was a good throw and perfect but he was so open that it didnt need to be and so it was low pressure
the negated one to brown was an absolute beauty and even better was the way he looked off the entire defence to create the opportunity for that play

rossihunter2

Staff Member

ill post here part of what i posted on a different thread about the same thing and why the running game is so much more effective with lamar than joe

"here's 2 matt waldman breakdowns of the ravens running game based off the raiders game:

https://twitter.com/MattWaldman/status/1066929820888702976
https://twitter.com/MattWaldman/status/1066939264712302592

conceptually the running game is so different with lamar - the attention and numbers the threat of lamar gets creates opportunities for Gus inside and for bigger plays by jackson outside

here's some more examples of why this running game won't carry over to flacco from Michael Crawford of RSR

https://twitter.com/abukari/status/1067126522778140673
https://twitter.com/abukari/status/1067138584208187393 (read the 2nd tweet under this too as a follow up to why this play works so well)
https://twitter.com/abukari/status/1067145428431511552 "

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor

Well, Gus Edwards didn't actually start until Lamar did. That's the biggest thing, I think.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
yea those were dots..he always had that.. even in college. what i dnt get is that he got a strong arm but somehow his throws be soft as shit when he throws short to intermediate routes.on that andrews deep ball, i thought he was gonna go to the check down cause thats what im used to seeing from joe

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
the mark andrews one was a good throw and perfect but he was so open that it didnt need to be and so it was low pressure
the negated one to brown was an absolute beauty and even better was the way he looked off the entire defence to create the opportunity for that play
The hardest throws to make are the piss easy wide open ones, that’s a fact.