• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler
Was reading an article from Mike Sando on The Athletic and he addressed the Lamar situation. Said he expects him to play on the tag in 2023, but isn't convinced that the Ravens won't risk it and do the non-exclusive and let other teams negotiate for us. Basically said he doesn't feel the market for Lamar will be near as robust as many think, largely due to his contract demands, the trade package in return, and the fact that you'd need to build an entirely new offense around him (which is hard without those picks).

Did mention the risk associated with a non-exclusive tag as well.
The next time Mike Sando says anything positive about a black quarterback will be the first. When I first noticed the pattern, I thought it was probably coinicidence, but in the 3 years since, whenever I've read or listened to him, he's consistently been critical of black QBs and forgiving of white ones.

Of course he doesn't feel any team will trade for Lamar, and that he needs a Roman style offense to succeed. He'd say the same about Hurts before telling you Fields is terrible and Gino's over-rated etc.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
The next time Mike Sando says anything positive about a black quarterback will be the first. When I first noticed the pattern, I thought it was probably coinicidence, but in the 3 years since, whenever I've read or listened to him, he's consistently been critical of black QBs and forgiving of white ones.

Of course he doesn't feel any team will trade for Lamar, and that he needs a Roman style offense to succeed. He'd say the same about Hurts before telling you Fields is terrible and Gino's over-rated etc.
He is the punkiest of all punks out there that hates Lamar Jackson and belittles him every chance he gets. Jeremy Fowler's identical twin.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
If it's true (this is all speculation) that the league wouldn't trade Lamar for 3 first rounders, just wow. Maybe that's a function of his asking price being so high, but like idek.

The Ravens would have to be super super confident to use the nonexclusive

Simba

Staff Member
If it's true (this is all speculation) that the league wouldn't trade Lamar for 3 first rounders, just wow. Maybe that's a function of his asking price being so high, but like idek.

I'd be shocked if they didn't use the exclusive, but Sando is far from the first to mention the possibility. Overall, feel like it's less an indictment on Lamar's trade value and more on the side of him probably not getting the contract offer that he wants.

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler
I'd be shocked if they didn't use the exclusive, but Sando is far from the first to mention the possibility. Overall, feel like it's less an indictment on Lamar's trade value and more on the side of him probably not getting the contract offer that he wants.
It's a big story, so every possibility will be discussed but it's still very much a minority view that Lamar won't get everything he wants.

This, from Gregg Rosenthal, is how I see the situation

"Ravens execs clearly don't like the precedent that was set by the Browns when they fully guaranteed Deshaun Watson's $230 million contract. Kyler Murray received $160 million in guarantees from the Cardinals. Jackson is obviously a superior player to both and should expect nothing less. If certain NFL franchises don't want to guarantee contracts for their best players, maybe it's time they let those superstars go to teams that will. Every other major American sport provides guaranteed deals, even for role players. The Ravens are poised to use the exclusive tag on Jackson because they know other teams would give up first-round picks and a guaranteed contract to get the 2019 MVP. So he's absolutely right to stand his ground."

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
While I actually love the idea of letting the market actually dictate his price tag and then the Ravens having a shot to react, the reality is that any smart time is going to offer two 1st rounders, and then put a big, big, big cap number out there in year 1 to make it extremely difficult for the Ravens to meet the price.

Like realistically, the Falcons could come in so that the year 1 cap hit is $60M. They have $56.4M in cap space, so they could afford to do it, and they'd basically just deal with being mediocre this year, and his cap hits would actually go down in future years, while the cap goes up.

Teams like the Falcons, Giants, Texans and probably even Seattle could easily structure things so that Lamar would count $50M+ against the cap in year 1, and Ravens wouldn't be able to match. And I think all of those teams would gladly do that for just two first round picks.

Thezone27

Ravens Ring of Honor

And they really shouldn't be

Thezone27

Ravens Ring of Honor
It's a big story, so every possibility will be discussed but it's still very much a minority view that Lamar won't get everything he wants.

This, from Gregg Rosenthal, is how I see the situation

"Ravens execs clearly don't like the precedent that was set by the Browns when they fully guaranteed Deshaun Watson's $230 million contract. Kyler Murray received $160 million in guarantees from the Cardinals. Jackson is obviously a superior player to both and should expect nothing less. If certain NFL franchises don't want to guarantee contracts for their best players, maybe it's time they let those superstars go to teams that will. Every other major American sport provides guaranteed deals, even for role players. The Ravens are poised to use the exclusive tag on Jackson because they know other teams would give up first-round picks and a guaranteed contract to get the 2019 MVP. So he's absolutely right to stand his ground."
Gregg Rosenthal is wrong. Guaranteed contracts like the Watson deal should not happen. It's not a good think that they happen. Especially for people like Watson. I understand where Lamar is coming from, but the Ravens FO SHOULD NOT fully guarantee a huge deal. It is pretty much the same amount of guarantee earned if they half guarantee the first 3 years and fully guarantee the last.

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
And the part that no one really wants to talk about is that in reality Lamar holds all the cards. He can choose the big payday of the franchise tag for this year and next and keep us over the proverbial barrel on the cap while collecting close to what he'd likely get in a long term deal as yearly pay, but then there's the "commitment" thing, too. If he's only on the Tag what commitment has the team demonstrated to him? So he remains de-incentivized to play with any kind of injury.

Knowing the Ravens and how they've let stars walk for their cash-in contracts in the past, I just don't think this is any different with Lamar, except that he's too valuable to just let go. So for me the writing is still on the wall that he is going to prove too expensive for a thrifty club like us..

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
And the part that no one really wants to talk about is that in reality Lamar holds all the cards. He can choose the big payday of the franchise tag for this year and next and keep us over the proverbial barrel on the cap while collecting close to what he'd likely get in a long term deal as yearly pay, but then there's the "commitment" thing, too. If he's only on the Tag what commitment has the team demonstrated to him? So he remains de-incentivized to play with any kind of injury.

Knowing the Ravens and how they've let stars walk for their cash-in contracts in the past, I just don't think this is any different with Lamar, except that he's too valuable to just let go. So for me the writing is still on the wall that he is going to prove too expensive for a thrifty club like us..
I think by far the least likely scenario is Lamar plays two years under the tag as a Raven. By March 2024, if there's no long term deal, they'll tag and trade.

I agree he has no incentive to play with an injury, but another year of injury concerns are going to impact how other teams view him and what they'll pay him.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think by far the least likely scenario is Lamar plays two years under the tag as a Raven. By March 2024, if there's no long term deal, they'll tag and trade.

I agree he has no incentive to play with an injury, but another year of injury concerns are going to impact how other teams view him and what they'll pay him.
So maybe Lamar does have more of an incentive now to come to the table with the Ravens. A third straight year of missing time due to injury,should it happen, would reduce his value considerably.

Thezone27

Ravens Ring of Honor
So maybe Lamar does have more of an incentive now to come to the table with the Ravens. A third straight year of missing time due to injury,should it happen, would reduce his value considerably.
so he should try to avoid a tag, which means he should agree to a contract.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
so he should try to avoid a tag, which means he should agree to a contract.
If I was Lamar I would want a deal now. Just think if lets say he hurt is ankle and missed 2-3 games. That really hurts his value and teams will be convinced he is injury prone. Three years in a row is a very good sample size

Last edited: