• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

redrum52

Hall of Famer
He can also be petty as hell, play out the tags and just wait for FA while the team gets nothing. The same thing people say is hurting him, no agent, could work to be his leverage. He ultimately ends up picking where he goes as a FA in 2 years.

If he's not going to be here long term I just want the process over with. This is going to be a crazy FA period.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
It just seems unlikely to me that Lamar and the Ravens work anything out. The Ravens have been smart about this, however. It might lead to him leaving after the 2024 season, but another year of non-exlusive is going to be his pay that year too. He really doesn't have any leverage not to play this year or if we tag him again OR to seem anything less than satisfied with playing, because that makes negotiation with another suitor difficult if he is seen as difficult, demanding, or a primadona. Plus, if he want's the big payday he thinks he deserves, he has to prove his value this year without injury or complication. Anything short of a full season with his average numbers or better is going to do little to get teams back into the ballpark he wants to be paid in. For me it's almost a SB or bust scenario. If he proves he's Superman, he's back on top - teams line up to acquire him. If he doesn't finish or does less than his average, he hurts his cause still further.
At least getting to a AFC championship

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
Honestly I gotta say I get the feeling that there is a lot of bad blood between the Ravens and Lamar .

If that's the case I would rather see the Ravens trade him to another team now. It's just not worth keeping around a pissed off player
that doesn't want to play for you.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
It just seems unlikely to me that Lamar and the Ravens work anything out. The Ravens have been smart about this, however. It might lead to him leaving after the 2024 season, but another year of non-exlusive is going to be his pay that year too. He really doesn't have any leverage not to play this year or if we tag him again OR to seem anything less than satisfied with playing, because that makes negotiation with another suitor difficult if he is seen as difficult, demanding, or a primadona. Plus, if he want's the big payday he thinks he deserves, he has to prove his value this year without injury or complication. Anything short of a full season with his average numbers or better is going to do little to get teams back into the ballpark he wants to be paid in. For me it's almost a SB or bust scenario. If he proves he's Superman, he's back on top - teams line up to acquire him. If he doesn't finish or does less than his average, he hurts his cause still further.

The only leverage he got is his refusal to sign the tag up until the last minute (I believe that’s week 10). At the very least, he’ll miss all of training camp.. which is quite problematic with us having a whole new offense and all.

Last edited:

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
The only leverage he got is his refusal to sign the tag up until the last minute (I believe that’s week 10). At the very worst, he’ll miss all of training camp.. which is quite problematic with us having a whole new offense and all.
If hes gonna miss all of training camp , which is a real possilbilty, I'd rather trade him for as much as we can get.

I get the feeling that no other team wants any part of negotiating with Lamar and absolutely knows what the Ravens offered.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
The only leverage he got is his refusal to sign the tag up until the last minute (I believe that’s week 10). At the very least, he’ll miss all of training camp.. which is quite problematic with us having a whole new offense and all.
If it's franchize tag he'll be signing before the preseason. The look will be bad if he sits it out.

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
I think I have to disagree. If there truly is no team that is willing to talk to him, he has put himself in even more of a "prove it" situation than he put himself in in 2021 after not signing or really negotiating in 2020. I mean, if he comes back late just to try to strong arm us into a deal and misses all the camp time and looks rusty or less than prepared, he puts himself at further disadvantage of getting the kind of money he wants. I just don't see that he has any real leverage.