• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

David Rockefeller

Practice Squad
Yeah...Regarding the "I'm gonna be The Baltimore Brady"...guess you can't knock having confidence. However, confidence alone is not gonna get it done.
Thought the Board might be interested in the unaffiliated opinions of "general" fans I found on Yahoo Sports. The story runs and then at the end are the Comments of readers. Impartial...no axe to grind...these are the thoughts of general football fans with no investment in the outcome. Theres a fan going by "Martin" this board is sure to attribute to this poster. He, or she, most certainly called it accurately, but has no relation to this poster!

https://sports.yahoo.com/lamar-jack...imore-win-multiple-super-bowls-192024062.html
You had to know it was coming lol

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I find it interesting that some posters who think Lamar has no chance of developing skill as a passer seem to believe Brady fell out of the womb a lights out passing talent. How in the world could that be when he was drafted in the 5th round. He was born the greatest passer of all time and nobody noticed? Certainly much of what we see in Brady has developed over years, hasn't it?
Typical system quarterback

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yeah...Regarding the "I'm gonna be The Baltimore Brady"...guess you can't knock having confidence. However, confidence alone is not gonna get it done.
Thought the Board might be interested in the unaffiliated opinions of "general" fans I found on Yahoo Sports. The story runs and then at the end are the Comments of readers. Impartial...no axe to grind...these are the thoughts of general football fans with no investment in the outcome. Theres a fan going by "Martin" this board is sure to attribute to this poster. He, or she, most certainly called it accurately, but has no relation to this poster!

https://sports.yahoo.com/lamar-jack...imore-win-multiple-super-bowls-192024062.html

definitely unaffiliated given that you two are the only people ive ever seen refer to a specific player with one specific word that has no specific relevance to that player beyond your calling of him that way...

gtfoh martin - you're not fooling anyone

and also general fans on a yahoo comments section are no more impartial than fans on a straight up ravens fan site lol - at least you know which way the bias works (for most people) on this forum

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
Ahahah must be a european thing.. I also can't hate on it.
If it wasn't for the shoe it wouldn't be bad at all. And btw I find it much less disturbing than Ziggy Elliot draft day belly-out outfit.
Nothing beats that shit.
I'm from Europe and I cannot endorse this. I'm sorry. You two are on your own in this one.

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
Here's a breakdown. Lamar wasn't reading the defense. Basic cover 3. This offseason is crucial not only does he need to fix his mechanics&footwork he also needs to get better reading the defense.

Very much appreciate you posting this video. It was incredibly informative.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Very much appreciate you posting this video. It was incredibly informative.
Matt Waldman said on his podcast he doesn't agree with Kolmann's assessment. It was very interesting to hear his stance because he's basically the only analyst who actually likes Lamar. His key statement was: Mahomes played phenomenally because Andy Reid allowed Mahomes to be who he is and didn't restrict him in certain areas i.e ban his crazy baseball-esque throws. However he doesn't think that Harbaugh and Roman are going to take the same approach and as a consequence might hinder Lamar's progression/development.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
definitely unaffiliated given that you two are the only people ive ever seen refer to a specific player with one specific word that has no specific relevance to that player beyond your calling of him that way...

and also general fans on a yahoo comments section are no more impartial than fans on a straight up ravens fan site lol - at least you know which way the bias works (for most people) on this forum
Hahahahahaha he actually thought he could refer us to “Martin” and everyone not immediately recognize that as himself...

Not only did he say bust out but he also referred to the wonderlic lmao. Couldn’t be more obvious.

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
Matt Waldman said on his podcast he doesn't agree with Kolmann's assessment. It was very interesting to hear his stance because he's basically the only analyst who actually likes Lamar. His key statement was: Mahomes played phenomenally because Andy Reid allowed Mahomes to be who he is and didn't restrict him in certain areas i.e ban his crazy baseball-esque throws. However he doesn't think that Harbaugh and Roman are going to take the same approach and as a consequence might hinder Lamar's progression/development.
It's an interesting take. I personally feel like they're apples and oranges in a lot of respects and therefore require separate approaches. I was huge on Mahomes prior to the draft, thought he was arguably one of the most physically talented players in that entire class. I stumbled onto him when scouting DeAndre Washington in the years prior. The knock on Mahomes was that he was a gunslinger who would take chances when he shouldn't, but I personally had that take as overblown considering that his defense was giving up literally 40 points per game, and he checked all of the right boxes in the pre-draft interviews as his Combine comments immediately addressed knowing that he needed to learn to avoid the risky plays. From a mechanical standpoint, to me personally, I didn't see much of anything that needed significant tweaking in order to translate into immediate success at the next level. I was obviously a fan of Jackson as well prior to the draft given that I drafted him in the first of our annual Forum Mock. But I did feel that there were issues with his footwork and technique that needed addressing, issues that might take a year or two to correct. Allowing him to cut it loose immediately arguably had its cons as well as its pros. I'm personally not against tailoring a system to his skill-set and then expanding the reigns in his second or third seasons as he (hopefully) gets more comfortable.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
Well, I'm not going to agree with the "unaffiliated" part of the opinions. You know how this works. The people that post on such articles are generally going to thrive on the negative side of things - just as people on this board are going to positive when it comes to a Raven.

To me, the best comment is: "How is this news, don't most QBs want to win multiple Super Bowls?"

Exactly ... not news, but major publications catch hold of such a sound bite and know it will inflame fans. One man's positive thinking is another man's arrogance. Yes - we all know positive thinking isn't squat without the work ... the Edison quote is 100% true.

Don't you don't think that the vast majority of posters are fans of other teams with a vested interest in seeing Lamar fail? Certainly Lamar has a lot better chance of being the next Tebow, RGIII or Kordell Stuart than the next Brady ... but something people don't seem to realize is he never said he'll be as good as Brady - just said he wants to be Baltimore's Brady ... a guy who can stay with a franchise and win multiple Super Bowls. He already told us he plans to win one back at the draft.

I find it interesting that some posters who think Lamar has no chance of developing skill as a passer seem to believe Brady fell out of the womb a lights out passing talent. How in the world could that be when he was drafted in the 5th round. He was born the greatest passer of all time and nobody noticed? Certainly much of what we see in Brady has developed over years, hasn't it?
I look at it a little differently about why some players become super stars and others with the same talent level and sometimes with even better talent peter off into oblivion. To me it really comes down to the measure of two things. One is coachability and the desire to want constant improvement with his craft. Two dedication to his craft such that he is the first man in and last man out, is selfless in his work ethic, goes beyond the call of duty and puts in the time to excel in the film room and gym. To me Brady had both of these qualities in abundance (more so than many QBs that have come and gone) and that is why he is largely considered the GOAT. As for Lamar, I think going back to his college the one constant stream of news that has come out is his improvement year on year with everything he does and his humility to accept coaching. He already has this going for him. The second and surely more important attribute he'll have to show year in and year out to become a QB that has the success of a Brady. I believe this kid is going to be special for a long time.

RayRayRaven

Veteran

Hahahahahaha he actually thought he could refer us to “Martin” and everyone not immediately recognize that as himself...

Not only did he say bust out but he also referred to the wonderlic lmao. Couldn’t be more obvious.

Actually, on that board I'm "Barry McKaulkiner" but also find it amazing that someone there held nearly my same views. But don't think that's a coincidence and believe its someone that has likely read my views here. Though have posted those same key points on other boards as well.

…I look at it a little differently about why some players become super stars and others with the same talent level and sometimes with even better talent peter off into oblivion. To me it really comes down to the measure of two things. One is coachability and the desire to want constant improvement with his craft. Two dedication to his craft such that he is the first man in and last man out, is selfless in his work ethic, goes beyond the call of duty and puts in the time to excel in the film room and gym. To me Brady had both of these qualities in abundance (more so than many QBs that have come and gone) and that is why he is largely considered the GOAT.As for Lamar, I think going back to his college the one constant stream of news that has come out is his improvement year on year with everything he does and his humility to accept coaching. He already has this going for him. The second and surely more important attribute he'll have to show year in and year out to become a QB that has the success of a Brady. I believe this kid is going to be special for a long time.

Ok the two things are 1. Coachability
2. Dedication
"going back to his college days" Lamar has "humility to accept coaching"!!! The more important attribute Dedication he'll show every year!!!

I'll give him number 2. Number 1 he's gonna have to fight for and I don't believe those are the sole criterion. Good Luck!!!

p.s. He accomplished enough this past year that he can't reasonably be called the original nick I tagged him with and my 'fans' picked up. But I have my new moniker.....hereafter Lamar Jackson is......drum roll please....
….

"BALTIMORE BRADY"!!!!

Last edited:

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
not only did TB12 have to develop, he was about to be replaced at Michigan.

More ridiculous than trying to deny identity is that the comment thread was being brought up as an impartial critique of Lamar’s potential, thus supporting his point of view.

A national forum on a team like ours that doesn’t have a wide national fan base is always going to draw negativity. Especially in an instance where you Invoke the name Saint Thomas of New England. Now not only will you have the standard Steeler fan bashing but also the Pats faithful to jump into the fray.

Impartial commentary my ass ....

RayRayRaven

Veteran
A "general" Yahoo Sports story was read by general Yahoo Sports readership and commented upon by same. If you read the comments, they were overwhelming negative of Baltimore Brady's chances at remotely accomplishing his goal. (That's being kind, many of them considered the talent and his stated intent hilarious.) Compare and Contrast that forum, with this forum, where roughly 90 percent plus believe Baltimore Brady is taking us to the Superbowl next year!!! and factor which of the two is more "level".

Now, the above clarified, it certainly didn't help that the readers perceived Baltimore Brady as being arrogant and having a grossly overinflated opinion of his own talent, accomplishments and ceiling. He turned the stomachs of the evaluating masses at Yahoo Sports. I don't believe ego is Baltimore Brady's problem however, his primary problem is smarts. He's not smart enough to understand his own manifest deficiencies and not smart enough to be careful with the press. He made some enemies quickly there certainly.

More ridiculous than trying to deny identity is that the comment thread was being brought up as an impartial critique of Lamar’s potential, thus supporting his point of view.

A national forum on a team like ours that doesn’t have a wide national fan base is always going to draw negativity. Especially in an instance where you Invoke the name Saint Thomas of New England. Now not only will you have the standard Steeler fan bashing but also the Pats faithful to jump into the fray.

Impartial commentary my ass ....

A "general" Yahoo Sports story was read by general Yahoo Sports readership and commented upon by same. If you read the comments, they were overwhelming negative of Baltimore Brady's chances at remotely accomplishing his goal. (That's being kind, many of them considered the talent and his stated intent hilarious.) Compare and Contrast that forum, with this forum, where roughly 90 percent plus believe Baltimore Brady is taking us to the Superbowl next year!!! and factor which of the two is more "level".

Now, the above clarified, it certainly didn't help that the readers perceived Baltimore Brady as being arrogant and having a grossly overinflated opinion of his own talent, accomplishments and ceiling. He turned the stomachs of the evaluating masses at Yahoo Sports. I don't believe ego is Baltimore Brady's problem however, his primary problem is smarts. He's not smart enough to understand his own manifest deficiencies and not smart enough to be careful with the press. He made some enemies quickly there certainly.
Your "general" Yahoo Sports readership is going to include a vast majority of FANS from other teams who have a vested interested in seeing Lamar fail. So to call their commentary impartial is absurd.

This forum consist of FANS of the Baltimore Ravens and therefore is obviously going to be biased in being optimistic on his potential. Shocker.

The only forum your are going to get anything remotely impartial is via analysts who at least try not to act like FANS. Opinions on him vary as expected but few think he is going to be a "bustout" (whatever the fuck that is) and no one other than you seems to give a flying fuck about what his Wonderlic score was.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Btw, I was reading an article by Tony Lombardi ans it pointed out that Lamar Jackson’s first down accuracy was 68%.