• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

RayRayRaven

Veteran
We get so "hopeful" here and anticipate with such optimism, that I thought it worthwhile to illustrate one must be leave room for disappointment when wearing the "rose colored glasses". Obviously, I believe that the Yahoo Sports Forum more evenhandedly discussed Baltimore Brady's talent and ceiling than ours here. I considered that Mission accomplished.

I'll give you Kudos in revisiting the term "Bustout". Both in the implication that the result is not yet finalized and for questioning its definition. A definition I will now provide. "Bustout" is a highly drafted player, (Usually 1st Round), that is not with the drafting team after the end of the initial contract and who also is a player not picked up thereafter by another NFL team. A "Major League Bustout" is a player drafted highly that is released during the initial contract with salary still due and who fails to be picked up by another team. So if I was remiss in providing them, we now have working definitions.

Your "general" Yahoo Sports readership is going to include a vast majority of FANS from other teams who have a vested interested in seeing Lamar fail. So to call their commentary impartial is absurd.

This forum consist of FANS of the Baltimore Ravens and therefore is obviously going to be biased in being optimistic on his potential. Shocker.

The only forum your are going to get anything remotely impartial is via analysts who at least try not to act like FANS. Opinions on him vary as expected but few think he is going to be a "bustout" (whatever the fuck that is) and no one other than you seems to give a flying fuck about what his Wonderlic score was.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
We get so "hopeful" here and anticipate with such optimism, that I thought it worthwhile to illustrate one must be leave room for disappointment when wearing the "rose colored glasses". Obviously, I believe that the Yahoo Sports Forum more evenhandedly discussed Baltimore Brady's talent and ceiling than ours here. I considered that Mission accomplished.

I'll give you Kudos in revisiting the term "Bustout". Both in the implication that the result is not yet finalized and for questioning its definition. A definition I will now provide. "Bustout" is a highly drafted player, (Usually 1st Round), that is not with the drafting team after the end of the initial contract and who also is a player not picked up thereafter by another NFL team. A "Major League Bustout" is a player drafted highly that is released during the initial contract with salary still due and who fails to be picked up by another team. So if I was remiss in providing them, we now have working definitions.

just as a general point for everyone

i dont know when it was that having optimism for your team and being a fan was such a bad thing - not every optimism has to be balanced and weighed against the possibility of disappointment

unbridled enthusiasm is allowed and encouraged

debate is also encouraged but speaking negatively about a player doesn't inherently mean better or more accurate analysis or less of an implicit bias...

you are welcome to believe that the yahoo comments section (i cant believe im even responding to that) somehow has a more even-handed and balanced but to suggest it's a fact is disingenuous and not helpful in any discussion on this forum or in the wider debate of any subject really

Tank

Hall of Famer
just as a general point for everyone

i dont know when it was that having optimism for your team and being a fan was such a bad thing - not every optimism has to be balanced and weighed against the possibility of disappointment

unbridled enthusiasm is allowed and encouraged

debate is also encouraged but speaking negatively about a player doesn't inherently mean better or more accurate analysis or less of an implicit bias...
Right, and I’ve never understood why this would need to be said. And stated frankly, the thought shouldn’t just be applied to certain favorite players.

Last edited:

flynismo

Practice Squad
Well, I'm not going to agree with the "unaffiliated" part of the opinions. You know how this works. The people that post on such articles are generally going to thrive on the negative side of things - just as people on this board are going to positive when it comes to a Raven.

To me, the best comment is: "How is this news, don't most QBs want to win multiple Super Bowls?"

Exactly ... not news, but major publications catch hold of such a sound bite and know it will inflame fans. One man's positive thinking is another man's arrogance. Yes - we all know positive thinking isn't squat without the work ... the Edison quote is 100% true.

Don't you don't think that the vast majority of posters are fans of other teams with a vested interest in seeing Lamar fail? Certainly Lamar has a lot better chance of being the next Tebow, RGIII or Kordell Stuart than the next Brady ... but something people don't seem to realize is he never said he'll be as good as Brady - just said he wants to be Baltimore's Brady ... a guy who can stay with a franchise and win multiple Super Bowls. He already told us he plans to win one back at the draft.

I find it interesting that some posters who think Lamar has no chance of developing skill as a passer seem to believe Brady fell out of the womb a lights out passing talent. How in the world could that be when he was drafted in the 5th round. He was born the greatest passer of all time and nobody noticed? Certainly much of what we see in Brady has developed over years, hasn't it?

Much of what we see from Brady is the system and talent around him. Which he himself has said; not long ago he said Rodgers would hold every passing record if he played in NE.

Our system and supporting cast is exactly what concerns me when it comes to Lamar.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Much of what we see from Brady is the system and talent around him. Which he himself has said; not long ago he said Rodgers would hold every passing record if he played in NE.

Our system and supporting cast is exactly what concerns me when it comes to Lamar.
The EP system with some rpo would be the best system for LJ8

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
Hopefulness isn't a direct parallel of what the expectations are. I can refuse to study for an exam, take it after a sleepless night, and hope that I passed it despite being fully aware of the likelihood of failing. It doesn't necessarily make you more naive, less objective, or give you a narrower perspective, same as being cynical doesn't automatically broaden those horizons or give you better understanding than those that choose to remain hopeful.

That's how I imagine @Truth in front of the PC every time he begins an apologia to the logic
Socrate_1.jpg

You should just replace you profile pic into this one bro. Your Pat Mahomes one is old dated lol

rossihunter2

Staff Member
plays like this:

https://twitter.com/abukari/status/1088871644351877120

lamar's inconsistent at the moment and occasionally finds himself lost but unlike many rookie qbs he has frequent moments like this where he clearly processes things like a veteran - it's not an issue of if he can hit his ceiling with lamar - we've seen him show all the elements now that would give us hope that he can make it - now it's all about whether he will make it and that's admittedly a lot of work too but he's got different issues to a lot of rookie qbs traditionally

this has been a pretty incredible 2018 qb class already and they've all got things to work on but allen, rosen and darnold all have more rookie "issues" to deal with

Tank

Hall of Famer
That's how I imagine @Truth in front of the PC every time he begins an apologia to the logic
Socrate_1.jpg

You should just replace you profile pic into this one bro. Your Pat Mahomes one is old dated lol
Considering your fashion sense I'm guessing that's you in the salmon colored robes. lol

As a guy said to me on the tee box early one morning, "You must be really confident in your masculinity to wear that color". lol

Lool I guess you trashed it even before to reach the home door.. Or you still have it on because yeah..the more it stinks the more you a man