• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Great description and you may indeed be right... he probably gets football like math savants see math in blocks of colors.
I have no other explanation for the speed at which he processes multiple levels of the field and passes what he saw to the rest of his body, then if needed, switches to full improv mode.

We all know he worked a lot on his mechanics, strength/speed and the playbook but no amount of practice repetitions will enable a player to be so surgical in live action. And I really don't think this much improvement is possible in one year for a player without possessing a special gift. He also seems to be a sponge with photographic memory - how else you get better and better every bloody game?

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
I have no other explanation for the speed at which he processes multiple levels of the field and passes what he saw to the rest of his body, then if needed, switches to full improv mode.

We all know he worked a lot on his mechanics, strength/speed and the playbook but no amount of practice repetitions will enable a player to be so surgical in live action. And I really don't think this much improvement is possible in one year for a player without possessing a special gift. He also seems to be a sponge with photographic memory - how else you get better and better every bloody game?
I also heard he had a photographic memory but can't remember where. But I think you nailed his growth projection very well. There is no logical explanation to how a player could get this good unless he was really special and had innate gifts that resided inherently in him. He is a sensational football player no doubt.

purp

Practice Squad

I heard he shoots laser beams from his eyes and his sweat heals lepresy. makes sense tbh.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I also heard he had a photographic memory but can't remember where. But I think you nailed his growth projection very well. There is no logical explanation to how a player could get this good unless he was really special and had innate gifts that resided inherently in him. He is a sensational football player no doubt.

i suggested he might have an eidetic memory a couple of months ago and someone said they'd heard something about that...

rossihunter2

Staff Member

where it's really stunning to be able to do this this early is the way he so quickly recognises and diagnoses pre-snap misdirection literally immediately post-snap - he understands very quickly what the defence is trying to do with its motions and disguises and adjusts post-snap to work out how quickly to go through each read

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

I’ll be perfectly honest, that part of his game is no surprise at all to me, I knew if anything, Lamar was gonna be quick and sharp, mentally and athletically. His college tape shows all of this, his poise and processing ability has always been out of this world

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
i suggested he might have an eidetic memory a couple of months ago and someone said they'd heard something about that...
I had said early in the season, that I had heard he had a photographic memory, but I also don't know where I read that and it wasn't on the boards.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
So you, do not have a photographic memory. lol
I actually do have a photographic memory for many things, most of it being related to business. I recall reading it online on one of the many Ravens related websites I frequent.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
will be interested to see who we end up drawing in the divisional round obviously - but i dont see how the titans defence would be able to stop this offence in any way at all - they dont have the individual players on any of the 3 levels to really force us into doing anything we dont want to do - they've got Jurell Casey but we've neutralised good interior DL all year even with backups, they've got kevin byard but lamar's so good at protecting the football and manipulating the safeties and not giving defenders a chance at the ball - harold landry's a good threat in the passing game but you can run the ball right at him

and while the titans have the most explosive offence in the league, its not like we dont have a top 5 defence right now too - they've got weapons for sure but we've got one of the few secondaries in the league with enough talent across the backend to matchup - derrick henry's obviously great but Brandon Williams and Michael Pierce have been awesome this year - the real threat will be if he wins the edge which is obviously the biggest weakness of this defence

Texans defence might have JJ Watt back but ultimately Lamar made them look silly even after the offence started sloppily

Bills defence was maybe the best team defence we faced all season and they restricted our offence a lot by making us fairly one-dimensional and being able to sell-out vs the run but important to note that mark andrews missed almost the entirety of that game (and i think hollywood was fairly limited too) and on top of that the wind made the passing game borderline non-functional for both teams - we also get the added advantage of seeing how they stymied our offence more successfully than any other team and we get to counter that...
Kevin Byard seems to get a lucky INT against us, you noticed that? It's like for one play, he's there at the right place, right time. One thing to note about our defense against their offense (or any offense for that matter) that I didn't see you mentioned: can we get a consistent pass-rush without having to blitz?

Like others have mentioned, the Bills defense just don't seem to have any holes whatsoever. I think I saw a stat where they gave up the least passing TDs this season which is kinda funny since Lamar threw for 3.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer

Ever heard of Goku?

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
If you never seen a highschool Florida championship game, watch one. You will see where lamar gets his abilities from lol.

Craven_Raven

Practice Squad

He’s been like this his entire career. If you get the opportunity watch Louisville games his freshman through sophomore season.

Craven_Raven

Practice Squad
But remember folks. Lamar was supposed to be figured out after the playoff game last season. Bust. Fluke season. One-hit wonder. Won't last. Can't throw. NONE of these doubters/naysayers/haters/etc. took into account a player's room for improvement, intangibles, and work ethic (well work ethic is a form of intangible but you get the point).

Very rarely do we see perfect passer ratings in today's league. Did it in his first game as a starter in his first full season. Remember, the Dolphins players said that all they need to is have Lamar play QB. B-b-b-but it was the Dolphins. Sure, the early part of the season took some time for the offense to get it together. How about outplaying the "frontrunner for MVP" in his own house (Russ). How about making the "greatest defense of all-time" (Pats) looking silly? As if one perfect passer rating wasn't good enough, let's go for another. Outplaying the likes of Brady, Watson, (arguably) Jimmy G, Goff, Josh "I would take him over Lamar any day" Allen, and Baker.

I always thought Lamar would improve, but NEVER in my wildest dreams did I think he'd improve to these levels this quick in his young career. But like the rest of the team, this season has been reset. Next weekend will be the opportunity to silence more naysayers who think that he's a regular season QB. And no, I NEVER forgot Francesa's comments about Lamar. Opposing fanbases and rivals alike better hope that Lamar doesn't continue his progression as a passer and we don't find that bonafide outside receiving threat opposite of Hollywood.

I think it’s important to note that Lamar stormed back in the playoff game once the playbook was opened up. People like to restrict discussing that game to 3 quarters when hating on Lamar. They also ignore the fact that the offensive coordinator was fired in the aftermath. It’s kind of like trusting Lamar to be the badass that he is is a good attribute. See the last two minutes of the first half of the browns game and other furious rallies even in his few defeats for Exhibit A.

Lamar is having a Lebron James type effect on the Ravens subreddit. It took 14 years to get to 40,000 subscribers and one season to get to 82,000