• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

redrum52

Hall of Famer
I have a crazy theory. Get better wide outs and we might see more passes to them. Not worried about Lamar. Get Culley more involved in the play designs. Snead's locked up and Marquise is a star. We need another guy to put outside.

DMH_in_WA

Practice Squad
I have a crazy theory. Get better wide outs and we might see more passes to them. Not worried about Lamar. Get Culley more involved in the play designs. Snead's locked up and Marquise is a star. We need another guy to put outside.

This is how I see our O too. I'd focus more on the D this offseason, but we need another good (preferably great) WR to go with Hollywood and Snead.

And if I see yet another Ravens fan say "They need to get AB. His cousin can probably help keep him in check," I'm gonna swallow my own tongue. That's all over twitter today. You know what else is all over Twitter today? AB having another confrontation with his ex with the police there as he screams, cusses and throws a bag of candy penises at her .... in front of her kids. And streams the whole thing.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think decosta has the right idea, it’s statistically supported that the most winning defenses are built with the secondary as the focus, problem is that we faced a dominant run team and you just don’t often see a team built like the titans in 2020.

and frankly, I don’t blame the defense that much, defense came to play, if you take out 4 snaps the defense was DOMINANT, but they faced short fields constantly and we were not scoring.

I absolutely agree that we need help up front; but they weren’t to blame, if we faced the chiefs we probably look relatively better on defense than we looked vs the titans, were built to stop one style and not the other.

the defence got beat on 2 or 3 big plays but they all came after turnovers - all 28 titans points came on turnovers... you can give the D some stick for not holding them to 3 or whatever but not a single point was let up by regulation in phase football - that being said if judon makes 1 tackle on the 66 yard henry run, we were probably still in that game - that was the play that broke us

rossihunter2

Staff Member

that's what ive been saying in the draft section - the scheme we operate means that with lamar at qb we're always going to be able to matriculate down the field in the running game as long as the OL is good enough, the variable is going to be the passing game and it was clearer than ever against the titans that we only have 2 receiving threats on this team and if either are injured or not playing well then suddenly the passing game becomes a complete wildcard

hollywood had his coming out party in that titans game and its a shame it will be completely obscured by the rest of the offensive woes but clearly its not enough to just have just one guy (after Andrews didnt really come back in) - this wr draft class looks like the best in recent memory - probably even better than 2014 and we should definitely be looking to pick up one who falls into our lap - late 2nd round might be a great spot to pick one up

and it might make all the difference - we can hope that boykin improves and he might do with a full offseason but we cant just rely on that to happen

we've got a stud wr who played well despite fighting through injury all offseason and all year - let's get him healthy and in the offseason program this year... and then let's go get another one

i hate that people who say we cant come from behind are heralded as being correct - let's go get some receiving firepower so that if we do get into that situation we've got the ability to just erase leads like the chiefs did - they've got weapons all over the field in the passing game - threats to score from anywhere - we've got maybe 2 consistent big play threats

JAAM

Hall of Famer
that's what ive been saying in the draft section - the scheme we operate means that with lamar at qb we're always going to be able to matriculate down the field in the running game as long as the OL is good enough, the variable is going to be the passing game and it was clearer than ever against the titans that we only have 2 receiving threats on this team and if either are injured or not playing well then suddenly the passing game becomes a complete wildcard

hollywood had his coming out party in that titans game and its a shame it will be completely obscured by the rest of the offensive woes but clearly its not enough to just have just one guy (after Andrews didnt really come back in) - this wr draft class looks like the best in recent memory - probably even better than 2014 and we should definitely be looking to pick up one who falls into our lap - late 2nd round might be a great spot to pick one up

and it might make all the difference - we can hope that boykin improves and he might do with a full offseason but we cant just rely on that to happen

we've got a stud wr who played well despite fighting through injury all offseason and all year - let's get him healthy and in the offseason program this year... and then let's go get another one

i hate that people who say we cant come from behind are heralded as being correct - let's go get some receiving firepower so that if we do get into that situation we've got the ability to just erase leads like the chiefs did - they've got weapons all over the field in the passing game - threats to score from anywhere - we've got maybe 2 consistent big play threats
Just to play devils advocate, do we really want to groom another rookie WR? I'd rather trade for a bonafide stud like we did with Q. Someone who's already proven... As mentioned before, Vikings and Rams are in cap hell, as I'm sure other teams with superstar WRs are who might be willing to offload someone.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
@rossihunter2 Exactly. It's tough to come from behind when you don't have the guys to throw to. What seems to be lost is that KC and Hou have more weapons at their disposal, at least when Fuller is healthy. KC have 3 guys to put on out that will KILL you deep. Sammy and Hill aren't just deep threats either, can dissect you intermediate and short and have great hands. That's not even accounting for Kelce.

We'll get better. Would love to add another big play or speed guy this year. Hope to see progress from Boykin too. Showed huge potential in preseason and flashes during a few games. Just needs to put it together. I was looking forward to this off season, just not this soon. Think their is another leap taken by Lamar and the passing game will be on more display next year. I know they need to establish the run, but next year needs more freedom in the passing game.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer

The fact those people are attributing inability to play from behind to Lamar is just fucking laughable.
I'd argue that we could even with this offense if we played less pass and more run / RPO.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Just to play devils advocate, do we really want to groom another rookie WR? I'd rather trade for a bonafide stud like we did with Q. Someone who's already proven... As mentioned before, Vikings and Rams are in cap hell, as I'm sure other teams with superstar WRs are who might be willing to offload someone.

i mean we could trade for someone - but this is an historically great looking wr draft class with so many options - ive graded 14 guys so far and would expect 11 of them to be taken in the top 2 rounds in most drafts and there's a couple of guys who ive got in those other 3 that i have graded much lower than the rest of the football cognoscenti who may well go high also

with regards to the vikings, they may be in cap hell but they wont save enough cap space on diggs or thielen to get rid of either of them and im not sure there's any point us giving up draft capital for a wr at this point - there'll be guys on the market we can go and get or as i said above a draft class full of options

i see what you mean in regards to grooming a rookie but the steelers have shown that if you dont consistently draft guys then you wont consistently hit on guys in the draft because you dont take enough shots - if there's a guy who's in the BPA area for any of our day 1 or 2 picks i think we have to seriously consider taking them

rossihunter2

Staff Member
@rossihunter2 Exactly. It's tough to come from behind when you don't have the guys to throw to. What seems to be lost is that KC and Hou have more weapons at their disposal, at least when Fuller is healthy. KC have 3 guys to put on out that will KILL you deep. Sammy and Hill aren't just deep threats either, can dissect you intermediate and short and have great hands. That's not even accounting for Kelce.

We'll get better. Would love to add another big play or speed guy this year. Hope to see progress from Boykin too. Showed huge potential in preseason and flashes during a few games. Just needs to put it together. I was looking forward to this off season, just not this soon. Think their is another leap taken by Lamar and the passing game will be on more display next year. I know they need to establish the run, but next year needs more freedom in the passing game.

KC legitimately have 4 guys who can beat you for huge plays in the passing game on a consistent basis: hill, watkins, kelce, hardman

and then on top of that they have guys like demarcus robinson or damien williams who can occasionally show up for a huge play

JO_75

Hall of Famer
I'm going to post this here, but some HOF QBs didn't win their first playoff games either. They turned out alright. I get the QB gets all the blame because it's a QB driven league but Lamar wasn't the reason we lost. Lamar having 508 yards by himself(Passing + Rushing) means we SHOULD have WON the game and definitely scored more than 12 points.

Also Thanks Rex for sticking up for Lamar, your welcome back anytime.

D1City55

Pro Bowler
Oh man. Doom, Sizz, Ngata, McPhee, Jernigan, Upshaw and Canty to some extent. Man that was nice. I'm really thinking we're trying to beef up the secondary more after we tried to trade for Jamal. EDC might prioritize that over the front 7 with how pass happy the league has become. I'd say we're an above average pass rushing DT/DE and premier OLB like Miller or Barrett away from having a formidable front 7, which would get a lot of coverage sacks if we land Jamal. Draft an ILB high (Kenneth Murray?) and hope Ferg takes a huge leap, and we look good on paper obviously.
A good pass rush would vault this defense into much greater heights. The defense did a solid job with deception and coverage, but we need to bring a pass rush because this DL isn't cutting it. This unit is going to hold the secondary back if we don't improve on it.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm going to post this here, but some HOF QBs didn't win their first playoff games either. They turned out alright. I get the QB gets all the blame because it's a QB driven league but Lamar wasn't the reason we lost. Lamar having 508 yards by himself(Passing + Rushing) means we SHOULD have WON the game and definitely scored more than 12 points.

Also Thanks Rex for sticking up for Lamar, your welcome back anytime.

The cherry picking for those stats though is a little alarming. Brees was on a god awful team that was the laughing stock of the NFL for his rookie contract. Peyton got a LOT of flack for his playoff woes and managed to even lose some playoff games without punting the football. Also Rodgers was in his 3rd year which is how they should put it out there and the rest were in a different era.

I am saying the sky is falling but its really dishonest when stats are cherry picked like that to try and justify a position. The position should be driven by the data not finding the data to drive the position.

RavensFan419

Pro Bowler
FUCK MAN DID WE REALLY LOSE THAT GAME this bad taste won’t leave me we had no business losing that game the team literally looked like a shell of itself wtf

Tank

Hall of Famer
Wash, rinse, repeat.

Love Brown but have serious doubts about his ability to stay on the field. Agree no worries about LJ at this point.

DMH_in_WA

Practice Squad
I keep seeing this thing about the team being unable to come back if they got down. I'm not buying it. If they had been shutdown from moving the ball, yea. I'd agree, but that's not what happened in this game. They moved the ball. Even starting most of their drives inside their own 10-20yd all game. The plays were there to score. It wasn't the Titans stopping them in a lot of those drives, but people not making plays they made EVERY game all season.

Lamar did not have his A-game but he was more than good enough for them to win this game if his receivers just catch the uncontested balls they've been catching all year. Hollywood showed up to play (I am so excited to see him and Lamar next year when he's 100%). The rest of the guys didn't need that level of play .. they just needed the normal catch the ball day at the office and all the other stuff takes a back seat. There were what, 2 drops that were pretty much TDs or at the very least massive momentum changing long plays? Seth Roberts, are you kidding me? There was nothing but green grass the rest of the field. And a third play which is probably a TD if he catches it is the Hurst ball that hit him dead in his chest. Was Lamar a second too early throwing? Hurst a second too late turning his head? All I know is Hurst looked really deep not to already be looking for the ball, but I don't know.

Any one of those plays and it's a way different game despite everything else. The plays were there for the taking without any heroics but just normal play. Catch the ball.

Craven_Raven

Practice Squad
I keep seeing this thing about the team being unable to come back if they got down. I'm not buying it. If they had been shutdown from moving the ball, yea. I'd agree, but that's not what happened in this game. They moved the ball. Even starting most of their drives inside their own 10-20yd all game. The plays were there to score. It wasn't the Titans stopping them in a lot of those drives, but people not making plays they made EVERY game all season.

Lamar did not have his A-game but he was more than good enough for them to win this game if his receivers just catch the uncontested balls they've been catching all year. Hollywood showed up to play (I am so excited to see him and Lamar next year when he's 100%). The rest of the guys didn't need that level of play .. they just needed the normal catch the ball day at the office and all the other stuff takes a back seat. There were what, 2 drops that were pretty much TDs or at the very least massive momentum changing long plays? Seth Roberts, are you kidding me? There was nothing but green grass the rest of the field. And a third play which is probably a TD if he catches it is the Hurst ball that hit him dead in his chest. Was Lamar a second too early throwing? Hurst a second too late turning his head? All I know is Hurst looked really deep not to already be looking for the ball, but I don't know.

Any one of those plays and it's a way different game despite everything else. The plays were there for the taking without any heroics but just normal play. Catch the ball.

If you’re a pro and make millions to literally catch a football and it hits you square in the chest or your hands and you do not catch it, it’s sqaurely on you. Good receivers make those plays and if they don’t they aren’t good receivers. Cyrus Jones was cut for muffing a punt. That’s how I felt about Seth Roberts dropping that pass.

DMH_in_WA

Practice Squad
If you’re a pro and make millions to literally catch a football and it hits you square in the chest or your hands and you do not catch it, it’s sqaurely on you. Good receivers make those plays and if they don’t they aren’t good receivers. Cyrus Jones was cut for muffing a punt. That’s how I felt about Seth Roberts dropping that pass.

Yup. And that's what I mean. It's not that the offense wasn't capable of coming back, they were more than capable. It was there. They just had to catch uncontested passes. That Roberts drop, especially when it happened, really got me. It also reminded me of the drop issue he had in Oakland (didn't he have one year with a ridiculous 10% or 15% dropped pass rate)?