• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
Looks like the eagles are interested in making Urban their O coordinator I feel like this could be bad I really don’t want to lose him he has been so good with Lamar

Can't keep everybody and I'm not sure if James Urban is on John Harbaugh list for being Greg Roman replacement. Probably not because I think if he was then I don't John Harbaugh makes David Culley his passing game coordinator.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Can't keep everybody and I'm not sure if James Urban is on John Harbaugh list for being Greg Roman replacement. Probably not because I think if he was then I don't John Harbaugh makes David Culley his passing game coordinator.
Truth be told he's probably been the biggest influence/help in LJ's development. Hope he doesn't leave yet.

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
Truth be told he's probably been the biggest influence/help in LJ's development. Hope he doesn't leave yet.

I can't deny his influence and help regarding LJ development. He even helped Mike Vick to have a great year so there is no doubt that he knows how to coaching quarterbacks. We all know Lamar Jackson worked with Josh Harris and Tom House during the off season to work on his throw mechanics so even though James Urban deserves credit for Jackson performance in 2019 it wouldn't be right to give him 100 percent of the credit. It would suck to lose him though because a good/great quarterback coach is important to have.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Looks like the eagles are interested in making Urban their O coordinator I feel like this could be bad I really don’t want to lose him he has been so good with Lamar

if he leaves do you guys reckon we inquire whether coach Harris is willing to come to the NFL full-time? albeit it would mean that they wouldnt be able to train together in the offseason... but they do also clearly have a rapport that works and it shouldnt be undersold just how much harris has impacted lamar's development just like Urban has (and RGIII for that matter too)

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
if he leaves do you guys reckon we inquire whether coach Harris is willing to come to the NFL full-time? albeit it would mean that they wouldnt be able to train together in the offseason... but they do also clearly have a rapport that works and it shouldnt be undersold just how much harris has impacted lamar's development just like Urban has (and RGIII for that matter too)

It makes sense for The Ravens to consider it or even do so but it all depends on if Josh Harris has desires to even coach at The NFL level. He would also have to fit in with The Ravens coaching staff as well. I would prefer a coach that not only can be just as good as James Urban but also bring more insight into The Ravens offense especially when it comes to the passing game.

RavensFan419

Pro Bowler
I mean he could always train with him this offseason then we hire him lol

rossihunter2

Staff Member
It makes sense for The Ravens to consider it or even do so but it all depends on if Josh Harris has desires to even coach at The NFL level. He would also have to fit in with The Ravens coaching staff as well. I would prefer a coach that not only can be just as good as James Urban but also bring more insight into The Ravens offense especially when it comes to the passing game.

he seems to be a high school english teacher or something right now - i have no idea if he has other aspirations

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
he was the passing game coordinator because we needed to pry him away from Buffalo where he was the QB coach. Having Passing Game coordinator in the title sounds better than WR coach. I believe Urban is next in line for OC.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Culley apparently is someone other teams have apparently thought about as an HC candidate also
that's one I hadn't heard. I still would prefer James Urban as the air apparent to Greg Roman when and if he ever gets a head coaching gig. That is if he is still on the Raven staff in 2020

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Let me know if you decide to vote for Lamar for the Madden cover......

...so I can put you on the list of people who should be suspended for next season should something happen to him or the team in general. A vote for Lamar on the Madden curse is a vote for racism. It means you advocate for white supremacy. You do not value the progression of our franchise QB. Furthermore, you don't value long-term prosperity for our beloved Ravens. Essentially, this is akin to betrayal and treason. Sorry, folks, I don't make the rules.

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
he was the passing game coordinator because we needed to pry him away from Buffalo where he was the QB coach. Having Passing Game coordinator in the title sounds better than WR coach. I believe Urban is next in line for OC.

To my understanding is that David Culley has been coaching wide receivers for awhile in his career and work with Andy Reid for quite sometime but decided to move on to be a quarterback coach for The Bills because he had desires to be a offensive coordinator/head coach and figured being a quarterback coach would help him get closer to the goal.Maybe John Harbaugh just really like his ability as a wide receiver coach and really really wanted him on the team which is why he gave him the passing game coordinator and assistant head coach title but I find that strange to give a guy that title and he not atleast be involve in some way when it comes to the passing game. For a guy like Culley who did/do have dreams of being a offensive coordinator or head coach and to not get interest from The Eagles and Bears for their offensive coordinator vacancy has to be somewhat dissappointing for him especially since he has worked with both Doug Pederson and Matt Nagy before under Andy Reid. Overall I'm not really sure if Urban is the next guy in line for the OC role but if he is I guess The Ravens could give him a raise in pay and more resposibilites if they think it could keep him around.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
To my understanding is that David Culley has been coaching wide receivers for awhile in his career and work with Andy Reid for quite sometime but decided to move on to be a quarterback coach for The Bills because he had desires to be a offensive coordinator/head coach and figured being a quarterback coach would help him get closer to the goal.Maybe John Harbaugh just really like his ability as a wide receiver coach and really really wanted him on the team which is why he gave him the passing game coordinator and assistant head coach title but I find that strange to give a guy that title and he not atleast be involve in some way when it comes to the passing game. For a guy like Culley who did/do have dreams of being a offensive coordinator or head coach and to not get interest from The Eagles and Bears for their offensive coordinator vacancy has to be somewhat dissappointing for him especially since he has worked with both Doug Pederson and Matt Nagy before under Andy Reid. Overall I'm not really sure if Urban is the next guy in line for the OC role but if he is I guess The Ravens could give him a raise in pay and more resposibilites if they think it could keep him around.
All of your points are valid and there is no question he was involved in the passing game and very well could be the next in line.

I remember one of the things we discussed here a year ago was how confident we were in him because of his trait of improving over the course of a game/season, and he wasnt prone to turnovers.

For me personally if Im grading a college QB (from my armchair) Im looking for coachability, durability and not being turnover prone. Next tier is leadership, drive to win and arm talent. Lamar has all of these traits and the Xfactor of elite rush ability. His future is super bright.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I remember one of the things we discussed here a year ago was how confident we were in him because of his trait of improving over the course of a game/season, and he wasnt prone to turnovers.

For me personally if Im grading a college QB (from my armchair) Im looking for coachability, durability and not being turnover prone. Next tier is leadership, drive to win and arm talent. Lamar has all of these traits and the Xfactor of elite rush ability. His future is super bright.

with other qbs id be a bit careful about that because having the ability to fundamentally re-work your mechanics the way lamar did is unprecedented - the one thing typically scouts say doesnt really change from college to the NFL is accuracy and yet lamar improved by almost 10 points (completion %)

to expect that from other qbs is not realistic - that being said i do agree that coachability is important but overall id just emphasise all the mental aspects first over the physical - can they read defences, can they do it at speed, can they identify deception, can they make the right read, do they throw with anticipation, do they have good pocket poise, how quick is their release... then move on to things like how strong is their arm, how strong is their arm when out of phase etc. etc.

with other qbs id be a bit careful about that because having the ability to fundamentally re-work your mechanics the way lamar did is unprecedented - the one thing typically scouts say doesnt really change from college to the NFL is accuracy and yet lamar improved by almost 10 points (completion %)

to expect that from other qbs is not realistic - that being said i do agree that coachability is important but overall id just emphasise all the mental aspects first over the physical - can they read defences, can they do it at speed, can they identify deception, can they make the right read, do they throw with anticipation, do they have good pocket poise, how quick is their release... then move on to things like how strong is their arm, how strong is their arm when out of phase etc. etc.

You misunderstand, nobody expected what he did in 2019, his performance was an extreme outlier from anything seen in the league. We knew he would improve just not record breaking MVP improve.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

his intangibles are off the chart and his vision is amazing. Many of his traits can not be taught.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

accuracy from college to the NFL can change depending on what you need to change in the prospect. Lamar had lower body mechanics that with work absolutely could change. Now when you are talking about upper body mechanics, there is no question they are harder to change and sometimes can derail a qb before he gets going.