• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Looks like PFT is already starting on the whole contract situation for the 2020 Draft Class with Burrow, Herbert and Tua. Former GM Joe Banner said Hurts should wait until Burrow and Herbert do their deals before signing. This is the one thing about Lamar playing on the Tag next year, Burrow is definitely going to reset the market given he has a Super Bowl appearance already, Herbert will likely be under that as will Tua and Hurts. The longer we wait, it may just be two more seasons of Lamar at most(Consecutive Franchise Tags) and he's gone in 2025.

Except it might actually help clarify the market for Lamar and the ravens if one of these guys goes first…

If they get a massive fully guaranteed deal then it simplifies the negotiation for the ravens and if they don’t then it also helps their argument to Lamar that Watson really was a one off

The price is big no matter whether burrow/Herbert go first or not

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
The Ravens are one of the most successful teams in the league. There's no chance in hell he's selling the team any time in the near future. The idea of it is pure imagination.
Agreed. There’s been no indications he wants to sell. In fact , just the opposite he said he could be the owner for another twenty years this off season. Combine that with how profitable and competitive this team has been since it’s inception and Steve’s not going anywhere.

The doom and gloom over a Lamar situation, that could go either way, is melting peoples brains lol. While i don’t think he is the answer long term, i look forward to us resigning him just to hear these same folks say “ see i knew it all along , Lamar was never leaving”.

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
I tend to agree with your assessment. I see no possible way Steve Bisciotti agrees to pay Lamar what he believes he's worth. It is going to be a wait-and-see game between the two parties and I don't see a positive outcome regardless of how Lamar performs this year after coming back. Even if he wins the SB, I see him opting to be traded. The Baltimore market is too small for Lamar's impending superstardom and I see NY (both teams), LA Rams, TB, and Houston making a full play for his services. I think the bridge for a deal is already burned IMO. I don't foresee the two sides coming together to make a deal happen. It would be a mistake the Ravens will find very hard to recover from. I also forecast that Steve Bisciotti will put up his franchise for sale in the next 5-7 yrs as well. He has already indicated he's not married to it like other franchise owners and has talked about not wanting to own it forever. The Ravens will go through what the Steelers are going through right now and remain mediocre for several years.
That sounds dumb, let’s just pay our franchise QB that we took the risk drafting then to avoid all that

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
Except it might actually help clarify the market for Lamar and the ravens if one of these guys goes first…

If they get a massive fully guaranteed deal then it simplifies the negotiation for the ravens and if they don’t then it also helps their argument to Lamar that Watson really was a one off

The price is big no matter whether burrow/Herbert go first or not
Agree, I’d say the market has already been clarified with guaranteed money post Watson, but I don’t see Burrow and Herbert deals making it an absolute certainty that Lamar is gone, if anything I think it helps us

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I tend to agree with your assessment. I see no possible way Steve Bisciotti agrees to pay Lamar what he believes he's worth. It is going to be a wait-and-see game between the two parties and I don't see a positive outcome regardless of how Lamar performs this year after coming back. Even if he wins the SB, I see him opting to be traded. The Baltimore market is too small for Lamar's impending superstardom and I see NY (both teams), LA Rams, TB, and Houston making a full play for his services. I think the bridge for a deal is already burned IMO. I don't foresee the two sides coming together to make a deal happen. It would be a mistake the Ravens will find very hard to recover from. I also forecast that Steve Bisciotti will put up his franchise for sale in the next 5-7 yrs as well. He has already indicated he's not married to it like other franchise owners and has talked about not wanting to own it forever. The Ravens will go through what the Steelers are going through right now and remain mediocre for several years.
That’s A LOT of projecting

allblackraven

Hall of Famer

Is there something more recent than this? Since he seems to be saying the opposite.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
The Ravens are one of the most successful teams in the league. There's no chance in hell he's selling the team any time in the near future. The idea of it is pure imagination.
Go back and listen to his interviews. He has mentioned it on at least 2 different occasions. Not really threatening to sell it, but making a remark like it isn't out of question that he sells the team to focus on philanthropy.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
That’s A LOT of projecting
One must project to find out what the future may have in store for us, no?

Now, despite being someone who has been hailed the modern-day, Nostradamus by friends and family alike, I just brush it off and continue pontificating just as he did, sometimes to the common man's chagrin. You, @JoeyFlex5 could have chosen to be uncommon, but no, you chose common instead!

When you cast doubt on the predictive powers of such a rare man with profound powers, you will become the one that doubted the great one. You don't want to doubt such a prophetic, old man and especially, the adoptive dad of the athlete in question.

I forgive your innocent remark because you didn't know.

Go back and listen to his interviews. He has mentioned it on at least 2 different occasions. Not really threatening to sell it, but making a remark like it isn't out of question that he sells the team to focus on philanthropy.
He's a businessman, he's letting people know he's willing to sell if the price is right

Ronan1001

Practice Squad
Agreed. There’s been no indications he wants to sell. In fact , just the opposite he said he could be the owner for another twenty years this off season. Combine that with how profitable and competitive this team has been since it’s inception and Steve’s not going anywhere.

The doom and gloom over a Lamar situation, that could go either way, is melting peoples brains lol. While i don’t think he is the answer long term, i look forward to us resigning him just to hear these same folks say “ see i knew it all along , Lamar was never leaving”.
I guess Steve loves Raven on the stresses the teams bring ^_^ Stresses aren't always negative, they can be positive. That's what a lot of people love football for, though! And me included ^_^

Tank

Hall of Famer
I guess Steve loves Raven on the stresses the teams bring ^_^ Stresses aren't always negative, they can be positive. That's what a lot of people love football for, though! And me included ^_^
True, but a little less, and a lot less often would be nice. lol

Last edited:

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
1. There's really no such thing as "big markets or small markets" with Pro Athletes anymore. LeBron made a brand out of playing in Cleveland. Patrick Mahomes is going to make a brand playing in KC for decades. Neither are big markets. You got nationally recognized NBA players who play in miniscule markets routinely.
Everybody is global these days. Really doesn't matter what team or city you play in. The days of like "regional marketing" are long over. Playing in NY doesn't get you anything extra. In fact, all it really does is get you more scrutiny.
2. Rams really won't and can't be in on Lamar in the next 12-18 months. They don't have the picks or $ to sign him, and no real avenue to acquire either. Really doesn't matter how much money you have to spend when you don't have the assets to acquire in a trade.
3. I don't think Lamar wants a long term deal at all in the next 1-2 years, so the contract discussions are kind of moot for me.
4. Saying Steve may sell the team in the next 5-7 years isn't really going out on a limb. Dude is 62 and a multi-billionaire. If he wants to get out of the business side, and there's no interest to keep it "in the family", it would make plenty of sense to sell.
Ownership transitions mean very little to me. It's just a billionaire selling it to another billionaire. I doubt they're going to tear the place down and move it back to Indianpolis.
And keep in mind, in most cases, these guys don't own 100% of the franchise anyway, so a "sale", in a lot of cases, involves selling off portions of ownership, not the whole thing.

Precisely how Steve became primary Owner to begin with.