• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Non exclusive is a stupid fucking move. That's a massive bargain for any team that doesn't have a QB. WRs and CBs get traded for two firsts. Teams give up more than that to move up a few draft slots and the Ravens are about to give up a young former MVP quarterback for that? Idiots.
They HAVE to seem confident that no team is going to him what he supposedly wants. But if they misread the market and we only get two first rounders for Lamar, that would absolutely suck

JAAM

Hall of Famer

Fast Eddie

Practice Squad
I saw this coming after the two year long effort to sign this guy. FO must be like good luck working out a contract with the other teams if anyone else wants to try and sign him.

Non exclusive is a stupid fucking move. That's a massive bargain for any team that doesn't have a QB. WRs and CBs get traded for two firsts. Teams give up more than that to move up a few draft slots and the Ravens are about to give up a young former MVP quarterback for that? Idiots.

You're leaving out the contract part, it's not just two first rounders they will give up. Are they willing to give him a fully guaranteed contract like he wants?

And that former MVP has only 1 playoff win just saying....I'm not ragging on him but I also don't want to see the team be crippled by him. He's the one you should be angry at not the FO. Maybe don't miss the most important stretch 2 years in a row will also help.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
If we were to lose Lamar, would we receive their 2023 and 2024 pick or 2024&25? I believe it's the latter.

Michael M.

Pro Bowler
Not if it’s from a desperate and shitty franchise who gives him more than 230 mill gtd lol
Well then maybe he's just not worth keeping. The exclusive tag just makes this keep dragging on and paralyzes the team anyway. The biggest risk is if Miami wants him. That would be a huge burn. But maybe if that were the case, the Ravens would match the offer. I'm sure they considered this outcome.

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler

This would be worst case scenario. We wouldn’t even get picks this year. It’ll be 2 hella late 1st rounders in 2024 and 2025 if Lamar goes to Miami

Exactly. People talk about what a shitty franchise the Browns are for the Rapey Watson contract, but at least they came out of it with a QB. I think the Ravens are looking like the real idiots with the way they've mishandled every aspect of the Lamar situation, and they're only going to get 2 late firsts to show for it. The perfect spot to double down on Safety and Center or whatever low value position EDC thinks it takes to win.

Those fucking idiots better be chased out of town after we go 5-12 next season or whatever.

Simba

Staff Member

This would be worst case scenario. We wouldn’t even get picks this year. It’ll be 2 hella late 1st rounders in 2024 and 2025 if Lamar goes to Miami

It's a good thought but they're in a pretty rough cap situation currently. Would take them fully guaranteeing something to get us to balk, because we could easily match whatever structure assuming we're comfortable with the overall numbers.

Simba

Staff Member
One team is enough, though.

So, we basically won a lotto in 2018 and did everything in our power to squander the winnings. I'm not gonna lie - if Lamar leaves, I will lose a lot of enthusiasm for the Ravens.
And that's the risk. But not many teams that can give him something that we can't match. 1, maybe 2 right now.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Exactly. People talk about what a shitty franchise the Browns are for the Rapey Watson contract, but at least they came out of it with a QB. I think the Ravens are looking like the real idiots with the way they've mishandled every aspect of the Lamar situation, and they're only going to get 2 late firsts to show for it. The perfect spot to double down on Safety and Center or whatever low value position EDC thinks it takes to win.

Those fucking idiots better be chased out of town after we go 5-12 next season or whatever.
Well MAYBE they came out of it with a QB. We're going to need to see him play good football for that team first. Plus ya know they'll actually need to win games.

Its obviously not a "we have to win in the short term" situation.

Will see how the next few months plays out. Think the last of teams willing to get him is much, much, much smaller than the public probably thinks, and it will certainly dwindle after the draft if there's no offer by then.

Think at the very least everybody gets to see what "market value" looks like.

Like the fact that its all on the player now. This is what player empowerment looks like.

Michael M.

Pro Bowler

So, we basically won a lotto in 2018 and did everything in our power to squander the winnings. I'm not gonna lie - if Lamar leaves, I will lose a lot of enthusiasm for the Ravens.
This is where all these injuries and bad luck with the WR'S they drafted comes into play....Sabotaged by a conditioning coach.

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler
Well MAYBE they came out of it with a QB. We're going to need to see him play good football for that team first. Plus ya know they'll actually need to win games.

Its obviously not a "we have to win in the short term" situation.

Will see how the next few months plays out. Think the last of teams willing to get him is much, much, much smaller than the public probably thinks, and it will certainly dwindle after the draft if there's no offer by then.

Think at the very least everybody gets to see what "market value" looks like.

Like the fact that its all on the player now. This is what player empowerment looks like.
Most smart well run franchises, who have kept up with the way the NFL works in the 2020s, manage to keep their empowered star players though.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor

Its equivalent to winning the mega millions and blowing it all on cocaine and strippers.

Putting it that way.. I can’t be mad.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Most smart well run franchises, who have kept up with the way the NFL works in the 2020s, manage to keep their empowered star players though.
For the most part yes. Also no reason to think the Ravens won't be different at this point.
All this has done is basically said "here's our offer. If you think you can a better one, have it". If he does, Ravens will either increase their offer, or won't.

The two first round picks being insufficient is the part I struggle with. But I guess we're going to let the market decide that too.