• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I mean…

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Wouldn’t it be so hilarious if the Ravens trade Lamar and use that money to get studs at WR for the incoming rookie

Nurps

Ravens Ring of Honor
Wouldn’t it be so hilarious if the Ravens trade Lamar and use that money to get studs at WR for the incoming rookie
Nothing would phase me at this point. I'm so ready for this shit to be over one way or another. Its really gonna bum me out if we lose Lamar, see what we offered, and realize he made some stupid decisions.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Pretty surprised there was only totally fake speculative news about other teams and Lamar today. I always thought Lamar's market on the nonexclusive would be small but I didn't expect it could possibly be 0. I assumed people would do some due diligence.

Obviously lots of time left to try but I would've expected to have heard some team contacted Lamar explicitly

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Pretty surprised there was only totally fake speculative news about other teams and Lamar today. I always thought Lamar's market on the nonexclusive would be small but I didn't expect it could possibly be 0. I assumed people would do some due diligence.

Obviously lots of time left to try but I would've expected to have heard some team contacted Lamar explicitly
It was clear there is a mandate of some sort since the multiple teams jumped on with statements as soon as franchise tag became official.

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
And an agent would have gotten him the 2nd largest full guarantees a year or two ago. Which means he'd be richer, both short term and long term, than he is right now.

Pretty tough sell that he's "content" on a franchise tag that's probably $20M below market value, but simultaneously is in a stalemate over the 2nd most guaranteed $ ever not being enough. I don't think the world's best accountant could reconcile that thought process.
This was the most confusing part of Financial Management 101... Getting paid now is more valuable than later and it's also cheaper for the payer to do it now than later. It's not intuitive, but it is correct. It's why you take the immediate lottery payment than the annuity. The idea that it's cheaper for the state to do it that way too is what's lost on most.

Lamar would have more money in his pocket now if he had signed an earlier offer. And he's be on the cusp of restructuring or a second deal by now.

It pains me to say the McJacket is correct, but he has been dead on with this. Nothing against Lamar getting what he wants, but he seems unable to compromise. Maybe that's out of principle on his part, but it's dumb, nevertheless. He should be striving to be the highest paid in his career, not in a window. He keeps closing the window and diminishing his returns.

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
This situation kinda reminds me of when Lamar thought he should of been drafted sooner than he was.

It's possible his representation at that time wasn't good enough. It's also possible The Ravens knew this which may be why they took a chance/ risk to draft Hayden Hurst instead of him believing he would be available later in the draft. It's also possible The Ravens are taking the same risk/gamble now with LJ by giving him the non-executive tag with the belief that his representation currently isn't good enough and that they will still be able to keep him. I could be wrong through because good players fall in the draft all the time.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

it's not that it's small, it's small or 0 when the player wants a fully guaranteed contract

This was the most confusing part of Financial Management 101... Getting paid now is more valuable than later and it's also cheaper for the payer to do it now than later. It's not intuitive, but it is correct. It's why you take the immediate lottery payment than the annuity. The idea that it's cheaper for the state to do it that way too is what's lost on most.

Lamar would have more money in his pocket now if he had signed an earlier offer. And he's be on the cusp of restructuring or a second deal by now.

It pains me to say the McJacket is correct, but he has been dead on with this. Nothing against Lamar getting what he wants, but he seems unable to compromise. Maybe that's out of principle on his part, but it's dumb, nevertheless. He should be striving to be the highest paid in his career, not in a window. He keeps closing the window and diminishing his returns.
Yeah the time value of money bro, well it's correct except that it assumes you invest/use it wisely which isn't always the case.

arnie_uk

Veteran
Turns down the second highest guaranteed contract in history. He must be an idiot to not realise the Watson deal is a total outlier that no team will come close to matching.

The Ravens could even be considering coming back in with a reduced offer now after another injury ending season.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Turns down the second highest guaranteed contract in history. He must be an idiot to not realise the Watson deal is a total outlier that no team will come close to matching.

The Ravens could even be considering coming back in with a reduced offer now after another injury ending season.
Hey Arnie, long time.