• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Lamar Jackson

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Didn't Lamar himself decide that he wanted to throw from the pocket more? It's not like he's incapable of throwing from the pocket like a more traditional QB.
Any qb playing under Greg Roman with this wr room is incapable of throwing from the pocket

Right. There's no evidence to this point he could have played. The only people that think that are comparing "similar" but totally different injuries from other players, and extrapolating.

It doesn't work that way.
Right, but there really is no hard evidence that he couldn’t have played. His injury status was kept suspiciously quiet. I mean Harbaugh certainly thought he was going to play before seasons end, or he kept saying that. How could the HC not be informed of the injury status of his QB1, at all times? As I said, I have no choice but to give Lamar the benefit of doubt because he is the only one who knows for sure whether he could have played, or whether he chose to shut it down for other reasons.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Right, but there really is no hard evidence that he couldn’t have played. His injury status was kept suspiciously quiet. I mean Harbaugh certainly thought he was going to play before seasons end, or he kept saying that. How could the HC not be informed of the injury status of his QB1, at all times? As I said, I have no choice but to give Lamar the benefit of doubt because he is the only one who knows for sure whether he could have played, or whether he chose to shut it down for other reasons.
Well, for starters, John isn't a doctor, and he pretty much stopped giving injury updates after the first week or two he missed. Because he can't predict anything.
That's kind of how injuries work. They thought Stanley was coming back a year before he actually did. They thought Bateman's injury wasn't that serious either. The biggest mistake isn't thinking that Lamar wasn't hurt. The biggest mistake is the franchise continuously being too optimistic about injuries, and saying anything at all. As I've said before, if it were up to me, injury designations would work exactly like the NHL. Upper body injury, lower body injury, out indefinitely. Would be the info I'd tell everybody for every injury. Could be a week, could be 2 years. It doesn't matter.

I'd put it like this... IF Lamar could have played, and didn't, the franchise 100% knows if that's true or not, because the team doctor would have cleared him to play. And if that's the case, not only do I think the Ravens would have publicly said that, I think they would be actively looking to trade him, because he wouldn't have the kind of qualities you'd want from a franchise QB you'd commit that kind of $ to.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
So with no one seemingly willing to give Lamar an offer sheet, do the Ravens get bold and start attacking free agency? If he does sign a long term deal with us , I’m sure they reduce the cap hits significantly or we prepare to absorb the tag hit. Either way we could be more aggressive

Simba

Staff Member
So with no one seemingly willing to give Lamar an offer sheet, do the Ravens get bold and start attacking free agency?
Doubtful at this point if you ask me. Even beyond the Lamar stuff, still probably in protection mode on that likely 4th round comp pick for Powers.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
So with no one seemingly willing to give Lamar an offer sheet, do the Ravens get bold and start attacking free agency? If he does sign a long term deal with us , I’m sure they reduce the cap hits significantly or we prepare to absorb the tag hit. Either way we could be more aggressive
I don't think there's anything from stopping us at the moment. It's just the high end FA market is gone, so its all "value" signings at this point. We're reportedly in on Odell, but don't know what the price is.

I think they'll be a little conservative until probably first or second week of May, when the draft is over and the dust has settled on what other teams are going to do. Probably have to be at least partially prepared for a team who whiffs on what they want at QB in the draft (like the Colts possibly) to come in later with an offer.

But as everybody knows at this point, not really any teams who can structure something we "can't" match. Just a question of if we WANT to, not if we CAN.

Noteworthy that there's still guys on the market we haven't closed the book on, like Peters, Houston, etc. The longer they stay on the market, the better chance we have of bringing them back for cheap if we want to.

Bro can you imagine Lamar just retiring after 5 years to sell clothes, do infomercials, and make cameos in Kodak black videos?

I've already said it on here, if Lamar goes that route, he'll never play again and it could turn to Kaepernick 2.0

Well, for starters, John isn't a doctor, and he pretty much stopped giving injury updates after the first week or two he missed. Because he can't predict anything.
That's kind of how injuries work. They thought Stanley was coming back a year before he actually did. They thought Bateman's injury wasn't that serious either. The biggest mistake isn't thinking that Lamar wasn't hurt. The biggest mistake is the franchise continuously being too optimistic about injuries, and saying anything at all. As I've said before, if it were up to me, injury designations would work exactly like the NHL. Upper body injury, lower body injury, out indefinitely. Would be the info I'd tell everybody for every injury. Could be a week, could be 2 years. It doesn't matter.

I'd put it like this... IF Lamar could have played, and didn't, the franchise 100% knows if that's true or not, because the team doctor would have cleared him to play. And if that's the case, not only do I think the Ravens would have publicly said that, I think they would be actively looking to trade him, because he wouldn't have the kind of qualities you'd want from a franchise QB you'd commit that kind of $ to.
Harbaugh quit giving updates because apparently he stopped getting them from the team doctor. From the week after the injury occurred right up until the week of the playoff game he either said that he would play (early on), or “ We’ll see” and “I have no updates on his injury”. The question I posed earlier is how can the HC not be getting injury updates on QB1? I mean the only update was from Lamar the week of the playoff game. Do you see how people could be suspicious about all this?

My final word is this. Lamar gets the benefit of doubt because we have no other choice. Harbs, nor me, nor you are doctors as you say. But that doesn’t mean I can’t have doubts about whether or not it was all legit.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Harbaugh quit giving updates because apparently he stopped getting them from the team doctor. From the week after the injury occurred right up until the week of the playoff game he either said that he would play (early on), or “ We’ll see” and “I have no updates on his injury”. The question I posed earlier is how can the HC not be getting injury updates on QB1? I mean the only update was from Lamar the week of the playoff game. Do you see how people could be suspicious about all this?

My final word is this. Lamar gets the benefit of doubt because we have no other choice. Harbs, nor me, nor you are doctors as you say. But that doesn’t mean I can’t have doubts about whether or not it was all legit.
What kind of update is he supposed to be getting? If neither the doctor, nor the player, know when he'll be recovered, how do you provide an update on something you don't know? It's not like his return is easily identifiable or scheduled.

Should they be suspicious? No, not really. What's clear is that there's two things fans are doing wrong:
a) they're taking any timeline from literally anybody as gospel. Like most of the baseline for what people were expecting didn't come from John or literally anybody within the organization. It came from guys like Adam Schefter, who tweeted out ranges for the injury based on how others with similar, but not identical injuries, have had.
b) fans have zero ability to deviate off those timelines, or even comprehend the fact that information might change. Basically, they've never had these types of injuries, so they think anybody who takes longer than what somebody else said they should is either a pussy or milking it.

So I understand why fans are suspicious, but it doesn't mean that suspicion is based on literally anything, other than pure ignorance. They just heard what somebody said, took it as gospel, and expect that nothing would change in the meantime.

As somebody who hasn't had Lamar's injury but has torn their ACL before, among other injuries, like broken bones, I can tell you I missed the "timeline" for recovery by many weeks in some cases and months in others. And not once did I think "man the doctor didn't know what he was doing".

What kind of update is he supposed to be getting? If neither the doctor, nor the player, know when he'll be recovered, how do you provide an update on something you don't know? It's not like his return is easily identifiable or scheduled.

Should they be suspicious? No, not really. What's clear is that there's two things fans are doing wrong:
a) they're taking any timeline from literally anybody as gospel. Like most of the baseline for what people were expecting didn't come from John or literally anybody within the organization. It came from guys like Adam Schefter, who tweeted out ranges for the injury based on how others with similar, but not identical injuries, have had.
b) fans have zero ability to deviate off those timelines, or even comprehend the fact that information might change. Basically, they've never had these types of injuries, so they think anybody who takes longer than what somebody else said they should is either a pussy or milking it.

So I understand why fans are suspicious, but it doesn't mean that suspicion is based on literally anything, other than pure ignorance. They just heard what somebody said, took it as gospel, and expect that nothing would change in the meantime.

As somebody who hasn't had Lamar's injury but has torn their ACL before, among other injuries, like broken bones, I can tell you I missed the "timeline" for recovery by many weeks in some cases and months in others. And not once did I think "man the doctor didn't know what he was doing".
Lol, once again, I gave Lamar the benefit of the doubt because I’m not a doctor, nor am I on the inside of the organization, nor do I really give a shit in the grand scheme of things. Calm down fella. Take a chill. Lol

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Lol, once again, I gave Lamar the benefit of the doubt because I’m not a doctor, nor am I on the inside of the organization, nor do I really give a shit in the grand scheme of things. Calm down fella. Take a chill. Lol
I mean OK, but are you really giving him the benefit of the doubt? Or are you "suspicious" because somebody told you that you should be?

Again, for me, it all comes down to fan expectations. If you're told one thing by literally anybody, and it doesn't happen, the first thing fans do is say "OK, who can I blame for this". And when there's nobody to blame, it just turns into a conspiracy theory of "somebody is hiding something from me".

Lamar's case is just one of many cases of this being true.

I mean OK, but are you really giving him the benefit of the doubt? Or are you "suspicious" because somebody told you that you should be?

Again, for me, it all comes down to fan expectations. If you're told one thing by literally anybody, and it doesn't happen, the first thing fans do is say "OK, who can I blame for this". And when there's nobody to blame, it just turns into a conspiracy theory of "somebody is hiding something from me".

Lamar's case is just one of many cases of this being true.
Well I’m not sure how I can spell this out for you bro, but again I have to give Lamar the benefit of the doubt because I can’t prove otherwise. He says he couldn’t play I have to accept that. All I’m doing is speculating about other possibilities, based on the information I have. And it’s not like fans were the only ones speculating about this. Hell, at least one of his team mates and many in the media were as well.

Also it has nothing to do with blaming anyone for anything. I’m just a fan bullshittin’ with other fans on a message board. Lol. Are you a fan? You speak as if you’re above the lowly flock fandom.

Any way, peace out. I see your point and I respect your opinion, but I don’t have to agree with you.