• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Rugby Fans?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
as an england fan im always worried about all the ways it could and inevitably would go wrong - but as soon as we responded with the 3 after we gifted that try i just felt confident

more than that i dont think ive ever seen a new zealand team look so aimless at the end with 1 up runners and no support and just looked lost

Nurps

MVP
So the wife and I don’t keep up on rugby as we should but she’s South African and we are gonna try our hardest to watch the game at 5am tomorrow morning vs Wales.

would anyone care to give a brief synopsis of what this match should look like so I can get her pumped up? Please and thank you.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
So the wife and I don’t keep up on rugby as we should but she’s South African and we are gonna try our hardest to watch the game at 5am tomorrow morning vs Wales.

would anyone care to give a brief synopsis of what this match should look like so I can get her pumped up? Please and thank you.

south africa will try and out-physical wales with stifling defence to create pressure and kick for territory and force errors
wales are a team that's reliant on a robust kicking game and they execute well albeit without much star talent - they make themselves hard to beat and the architect of their defence is the coach who changed the way defence is played all around the globe (albeit a long time ago lol)

its going to be defence vs defence where mistakes will be punished but not to the extent that a team will run away with it - if a team builds a substantial lead i expect it would be south africa because they have more explosive playmakers but i dont think either team is likely to score frequently and play expansively

but that's just what i expect

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
south africa will try and out-physical wales with stifling defence to create pressure and kick for territory and force errors
wales are a team that's reliant on a robust kicking game and they execute well albeit without much star talent - they make themselves hard to beat and the architect of their defence is the coach who changed the way defence is played all around the globe (albeit a long time ago lol)

its going to be defence vs defence where mistakes will be punished but not to the extent that a team will run away with it - if a team builds a substantial lead i expect it would be south africa because they have more explosive playmakers but i dont think either team is likely to score frequently and play expansively

but that's just what i expect
Going to be a kicking fest

Inqui

Pro Bowler

I think the best comparison would be this year's Patriots against a team like the Bills or 49ers. It probably won't be a great time for the neutrals who like to see the ball moved around a lot but there'll be two legitimate defensive juggernauts leaving nothing on the field.

This guy did a preview for every team before the World Cup so you might enjoy his take on South Africa.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I am too, also that was the worst all blacks performance I think I have ever seen. That game could have been like 30-0. I figured england would win but my god. Bokkies you have to save us now.
I think I only saw them play worse, in general, back when Taine Randell was captain 98/99.

Pats

Veteran
I think I only saw them play worse, in general, back when Taine Randell was captain 98/99.
Oh yeah the years when AUS was good and NZL were just ok. But this performance was completely aimless, no direction or strategy in attack or defense at all. I think if they had a more experienced flyhalf alone that would have made a huge difference. Moounga isnt that great of a flyhalf imo.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Oh yeah the years when AUS was good and NZL were just ok. But this performance was completely aimless, no direction or strategy in attack or defense at all. I think if they had a more experienced flyhalf alone that would have made a huge difference. Moounga isnt that great of a flyhalf imo.
I tend to agree. Talented but not yet at test level good. Also think our back line wasn't a great selection. Need that big bodied winger(s) and midfield and it's not like we don't have them. These dudes are easily brought down with defense not breaking a sweat.

What were they expecting from J. Barrett? Really lame selection. Our backup front row is better than starters, too. Too much experimenting cost us big time.