• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Awful, The Run Defence and The Offence

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
So you're telling me the Steelers can get the ball with less than 10 minutes left in the fourth and have 13 designed runs, but more than one run when the Ravens had the ball to start the fourth against the Browns was too much?

On another note, a Ravens poster on here said that he thought Huntley would surprise us ahead of his first start of the season. And I'll admit, as someone who is down on Huntley, he has surprised me.... with how much he's regressed and is just terrible.

Huntley used to take what the defense gave him, didn't force throws, and didn't make mistakes. It was frustrating because it meant the offense wasn't explosive and couldn't execute quickly via the pass, but it did mean few mistakes.

But these forced, errant throws and bad decisions are absolutely dreadful and it's not at all like the guy we saw last year.
Totally agree. In the game thread I said the Huntley prognosis is that he's not an NFL caliber backup. That was not what we were saying last year. We said he was bad but not that he shouldn't be in the league. Huge regression

Simba

Staff Member
So you're telling me the Steelers can get the ball with less than 10 minutes left in the fourth and have 13 designed runs, but more than one run when the Ravens had the ball to start the fourth against the Browns was too much?

On another note, a Ravens poster on here said that he thought Huntley would surprise us ahead of his first start of the season. And I'll admit, as someone who is down on Huntley, he has surprised me.... with how much he's regressed and is just terrible.

Huntley used to take what the defense gave him, didn't force throws, and didn't make mistakes. It was frustrating because it meant the offense wasn't explosive and couldn't execute quickly via the pass, but it did mean few mistakes.

But these forced, errant throws and bad decisions are absolutely dreadful and it's not at all like the guy we saw last year.
He’s been awful this year and it’s sad. Just everything about him has regressed. Mechanics, decision making. I know I said it a couple of weeks back but I wouldn’t even tender him right now.

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
I don't think blaming the defense for this loss is the right way to go. For most of the game the defense didnt allow a touchdown and The Ravens offense just couldn't get any touchdown or 3 points when they really needed it. After that Justice Hill kick return The Ravens offense had a great opportunity to score or atleast get 3 points but for some reason they couldn't capitalize on the opportunity

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Also they did an exam on Huntley's arm. The report came back it's made of some nice al dente pasta. Injury timeline is career ending unfortunately.

Simba

Staff Member
I don't think blaming the defense for this loss is the right way to go. For most of the game the defense didnt allow a touchdown and The Ravens offense just couldn't get any touchdown or 3 points when they really needed it. After that Justice Hill kick return The Ravens offense had a great opportunity to score or atleast get 3 points but for some reason they couldn't capitalize on the opportunity
They got dominated. Not much good from the D at any level. Held on the points but the film of this game is going to be bad for them.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Tyler Huntley is the primary reason we lost this game. He is not fit to be even a backup QB in this league.

Beyond that GRo called a truly awful game. He had zero answers if any kind. And to my eye, didn't even try to make adjustments. How was the playcalling in the 1st half any different really than the second? The passing game is inept. 2 catches for 18 yards by WRs. That's comical. Then you have your TEs dropping balls.

MM called a truly horrible game as well. They ran it down our throats. Pickett didn't do anything outside of like 2 throws the entire game. The difference was we let them drive the field every single drive. If Calais is that important, your DC sucks a huge cock. 4th double digit collapse by this defense.

This team has got nothing even close to resembling "it".

Look for next week to be a blood bath

i thought he'd made a great adjustment on the first drive coming out of the half and had us start taking advantage of the heavier boxes giving Andrews more 1v1 matchups in man coverage

and then we did nothing but try and continue to run into a brick wall

i get it... we lose by passing so we all want to run more, we lose by running so we all want to pass more - and then we start to look like fools - but the lack of obvious adjustment, or at least successful adjustment (especially when Harbs actively admitted that there weren't any surprises from what the Steelers were doing on either side of the ball) is really frustrating.

The Steelers gave us a puzzle, that we knew we'd see in advance and in fact were expecting, and we couldn't solve it for the whole 60 minutes really.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
i thought he'd made a great adjustment on the first drive coming out of the half and had us start taking advantage of the heavier boxes giving Andrews more 1v1 matchups in man coverage

and then we did nothing but try and continue to run into a brick wall

i get it... we lose by passing so we all want to run more, we lose by running so we all want to pass more - and then we start to look like fools - but the lack of obvious adjustment, or at least successful adjustment (especially when Harbs actively admitted that there weren't any surprises from what the Steelers were doing on either side of the ball) is really frustrating.

The Steelers gave us a puzzle, that we knew we'd see in advance and in fact were expecting, and we couldn't solve it for the whole 60 minutes really.
All of this but on BOTH sides of the ball.

This is the physical manifestation of bad coaching. When you know the problem and can't solve it. Heads should roll.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
I been watching this team for weeks and it is clear we are not a good football team. We regressed in a big way. Playoffs, one and done guaranteed.

I am not going to lie. Seeing Lamar jumping around on the sideline and wearing those sunglasses at night like he is too cool for school, when we desperately need him to play, seriously pissed me off. He didn’t look very injured to me. Two years in a row he can’t finish the season and he wants Deshawn Jackson’s guaranteed money. What, to jump around on the sideline? Fuck that!
So we're just making up black people now lol?

I blame Roman for your mistake

rossihunter2

Staff Member
He’s been awful this year and it’s sad. Just everything about him has regressed. Mechanics, decision making. I know I said it a couple of weeks back but I wouldn’t even tender him right now.

absolutely not - if someone picks him up, good for them, if no one does then he can come back on the minimum and compete with Anthony Brown and whoever else we bring in (be they some sort of established vet or a day 3 pick or someone like that) in an open competition

and maybe the concussion's weighing on his mind - but he looked indecisive even before that, and he definitely lacks the moxie he played with in 2021 now

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Damn you can’t even be hurt and supporting your teammates on the sideline no mo lol
I can't remember if it was nba or nfl where someone was injured and jumping around on crutches in celebration. Was funny as hell and a teammate had to tell him to chill

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Another 4th quarter collapse by Macdonald who is clearly not NFL Defensive Coordinator ready. Send his ass back to Michigan, Huntley is a garbage backup who needs to be out of the league. Steelers with players who are undrafted like Warren looking like Derrick Henry, instead of a UDFA RB. Then their receivers making fluke catches, get a defensive coordinator who can coach secondaries to not let a rookie QB go on a game winning drive. This was the worst QB draft class but yet Pickett didn't look like he's apart of thr worst QB class in six years.

We got the ball back with 8 minutes or so, Roman did what he likes to do and get away from the run. We could have killed at least 1-2 more minutes before giving them the ball back.

Once again, our inability to sustain drives hurt us. We need Lamar back BADLY. Without Lamar, it's like we are tanking... IT'S THAT BAD. Without Lamar next week... congrats Bengals on the division. We are wasting a playoff spot if we go in with Huntley and not Lamar.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
They got dominated. Not much good from the D at any level. Held on the points but the film of this game is going to be bad for them.

the film is going to be gross - especially up front on the interior

and it's frustrating because, we actually found ways to get 4 and 5 man pressure today - just no one finding a way to finish at all

oweh, houston, madubuike, jpp all had opportunities to make plays at various points on pickett - hamilton had a 4 man rush too and didnt finish although he got clearly held on a heinous non-call

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
the film is going to be gross - especially up front on the interior

and it's frustrating because, we actually found ways to get 4 and 5 man pressure today - just no one finding a way to finish at all

oweh, houston, madubuike, jpp all had opportunities to make plays at various points on pickett - hamilton had a 4 man rush too and didnt finish although he got clearly held on a heinous non-call
But it's a good thing Isabella and Kolar got roster spots today.