• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Awful, The Run Defence and The Offence

Simba

Staff Member
I think the thing that pisses me off most about the offense is that the play calling just gets too cute when it matters most. Don’t remember that exact yardage, but maybe a 3rd and 2 or 3 to go. Instead of running it down their throats, we call that fake sweep to Proche and the Steelers DL was already in the backfield by time the ball was actually handed off. If you’re going to run it, just run it.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
He's going to say big pass plays got then into scoring position which they did. Please don't start this in the new year...

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
Lot of people saying defense was gassed because of the offense and that’s why we lost. While true, the ToP was very lopsided in the second half, we couldn’t stop them all game until the red zone

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
He literally says start with the coaching staff. Heads should roll. Both sides.

And EDC better get his shit together too.

You can't go YEARS without drafting STAR players, consistently signing FAs at nonpremium positions to mega contracts, ignoring different position groups every year, and failing to sign the best player in Ravens history since Ray and Ed to a long term deal.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
All of this but on BOTH sides of the ball.

This is the physical manifestation of bad coaching. When you know the problem and can't solve it. Heads should roll.

maybe it's because i've not been watching enough all-22 to see what's going on in the backend all the time, or maybe it's because we're playing more diverse coverages and packages than we did with Wink that it's harder to notice without examining it whether we're changing stuff

but i really have not noticed much adjustment from MM at all

idk ive been disappointed in him - think so much of what we're doing well on defence has been great execution by our best players, and so much of what's gone wrong on defence (later in the year) has been poor playcalling - and i think you're right that that's concerning

idk that we'll make a change though - they chose to hire him for a reason, they clearly like him a lot and he beat out a bunch of interesting candidates (including Anthony Weaver) for a reason

i think what's so tough to swallow about these 4th quarter/2 minute collapses is that it's not just us getting beat by a great playcall or something like that, it's the fact that we go out being so passive in those situations - of all the criticisms of Wink, you could never levy the accusation that he wouldnt go out guns blazing without asking QBs to answer the toughest questions

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
maybe it's because i've not been watching enough all-22 to see what's going on in the backend all the time, or maybe it's because we're playing more diverse coverages and packages than we did with Wink that it's harder to notice without examining it whether we're changing stuff

but i really have not noticed much adjustment from MM at all

idk ive been disappointed in him - think so much of what we're doing well on defence has been great execution by our best players, and so much of what's gone wrong on defence (later in the year) has been poor playcalling - and i think you're right that that's concerning

idk that we'll make a change though - they chose to hire him for a reason, they clearly like him a lot and he beat out a bunch of interesting candidates (including Anthony Weaver) for a reason

i think what's so tough to swallow about these 4th quarter/2 minute collapses is that it's not just us getting beat by a great playcall or something like that, it's the fact that we go out being so passive in those situations - of all the criticisms of Wink, you could never levy the accusation that he wouldnt go out guns blazing without asking QBs to answer the toughest questions
Absolutely agree. I'd definitely be making a change if I was Harbs. He's had an extremely talented group. And you can tell that he's brought up by those guys, but even they can't overcome how passive and flat and no adjusting he is

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
The offense only scored on a penalty which was iffy at best.

Defense held up very well almost the entire game. And you know what they got from the offense? Nothing. So eventually a team will score.

You can’t go into games thinking your defense has to hold everyone under 16 points.

Could they play even better? Sure a pick six would be nice since apparently they need to score as well.

This falls on the offense

Simba

Staff Member
As many of you know, I’m not really a blame the coaches type of guy, but we’ve reached a breaking point to some extent. Weirdly less worried about the D right now, but wouldn’t put it by Harbaugh to make sweeping changes on both sides of the ball. Feels like we need philosophical changes more than just name and face changes.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
who are you saying we should have activated instead?

my guess is that Ojabo's still not ready - especially for a run-heavy game like this... there's a reason JPP was on the field on that late missed sack and not Houston
Gotta let Ojabo try. This pass rush is awful. They only get a handful of pressures the whole game and when they do, they never finish.

Houston has had one good stretch this year and outside of that, they've been awful. In fact I think to get to our second best guy you have to go to Madabuike. Which is nuts.

We've got 2 geriatric guys on the edge, Bowser, and useless Oweh. I know Ojabo won't be great in the run game but use him in real 3rd and longs. Maybe he can actually bring the QB down.