• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Awful, The Run Defence and The Offence

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Not that he's bad but we need a change. His philosophy/message has gotten stale. He keeps his bad coordinators on for too long. Doesn't make the necessary changes when they are needed. 2 playoff wins in a decade is the definition of mediocre.
I've said this before. Harbs doesn't deserve to be fired on merit. That being said, there's a case to be made for freshening things up certainly. My sort of counter to that is you can get that same freshening by sacking Roman and having EDC, Harbs, and the new OC work together to put a new product out there.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
This is the most down I've been on a Ravens team in a long time. Say what you want about the Flacco teams (Flacco was ridiculously worse at QB than Lamar), but they rose to the occasion in December and January. They also ALWAYS made you feel like you had a chance even when no one believed in you. No one wanted to play us in the playoffs. Those teams overachieved.

This team is the exact opposite. This team falls a part down the stretch. This team instills no fear. This team plays the level of its opponents. This team has no it factor or killer instinct on either side of the ball. This team underacheives.

Say what you will but to me, over and underachieving compared to the roster is exactly a coaching stat.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
So a few thoughts:
1. Much appreciation to the Ravens/Steelers for flying through the game. Every minute counts when you wake up to a 5 month old and 6 year old girls.

2. The defense was far from perfect, but they played well. Run D had an off night, pass rush had an off night, shit happens, people have bad games. The last pass from Pickett was a dime and he deserves credit. You can only ask so much of these guys when their balanced by a Huntley/Roman offense. When we get Campbell and Peters back for the playoffs we’ll be that much more dangerous.

3. I knew the Steelers were not going to allow our offense to have a repeat of the previous match up. Huntley is limited but the opportunities were there in the pass game and we decided to run into stack boxes and run blitz. It might be time to sit Gus and insert Drake. We need atleast one of our backs to have some explosive qualities. JK is hard to watch in the open field but you can’t move away from him currently.

4. All in all, I feel pretty good. The offense is incredibly frustrating, but we went 2-2 with an inept back up( we could have easily folded like last year), Lamar is coming back for the playoffs, and the defense is still great.

I've said this before. Harbs doesn't deserve to be fired on merit. That being said, there's a case to be made for freshening things up certainly. My sort of counter to that is you can get that same freshening by sacking Roman and having EDC, Harbs, and the new OC work together to put a new product out there.

But Harbaugh deserves blame because the coordinators he hires suck. Are you confident he will make a good choice when Roman gets sacked? History says no. I would give MM another year and see how he does. One major issue I know Harbaugh can control is the communication issues and we see that hasn't been fixed. If he's not micromanaging that area he needs to. His hands off approach with certain issues appearing week after week definitely falls on him.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
This is the most down I've been on a Ravens team in a long time. Say what you want about the Flacco teams (Flacco was ridiculously worse at QB than Lamar), but they rose to the occasion in December and January. They also ALWAYS made you feel like you had a chance even when no one believed in you. No one wanted to play us in the playoffs. Those teams overachieved.
I think health is the difference. Those teams figured it out and we’re pretty whole down the stretch, this current team not so much

Tank

Hall of Famer
Typical Ravens Steelers score line, but we got our ass handed to us at the los. They ran at will and it was frustrating to watch. Can't recall the last time a team dominated on the ground like that against us. We did toughen up in the red zone most of the game, which was a bright(faint)spot, I guess. Pickett made some clutch throws when they needed it, unfortunately he looks like he might be a good one.

Looked for a while like we we might survive another weak offensive performance, but the O really folded in the 4th. Did Gus even play? Not sure what has happened to Snoop, but he's struggling. Maybe playing hurt, I know they've been talking about his shoulder... don't know.

I think we came out without any major injuries, so there's that. And even with this loss, Bengals lose tonight and we play them for the division crown next week. Who knows, get some guys back and maybe whoop some bungles ass!

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
For those calling for it, Harbaugh isn't going to be fired. He is part of a nexus the Ravens brass has formed with Bisciotti sitting on top. He isn't going anywhere till such time that he has another 4-5 win season which is only likely if they don't get Lamar signed. Otherwise, he stays as long as Lamar is the QB. He is gone the year after Lamar leaves for greener pastures and SBs because that team will provide him with the support he needs.

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler
Well the common denominator over the last two seasons is the defense cannot hold a lead under Harbaugh. This is under Wink and now MM, two different DC's with different defensive schemes.

The defensive problem is clearly on Harbaugh.
You can't call 13 points "a lead" in today's NFL. The defense isn't really to blame for being unable to prevent a TD when they're on the field the whole second half. Even the 49ers, everyone's top defense, are giving up more than 13 points per game.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
So you're telling me the Steelers can have the ball to start the fourth and have 13 designed runs, but more than one run when the Ravens had the ball to start the fourth against the Browns was too much?

On another note, a Ravens poster on here said that he thought Huntley would surprise us ahead of his first start of the season. And I'll admit, as someone who is down on Huntley, he has surprised me.... with how much he's regressed and is just terrible.

Huntley used to take what the defense gave him, didn't force throws, and didn't make mistakes. It was frustrating because it meant the offense wasn't explosive and couldn't execute quickly via the pass, but it did mean few mistakes.

But these forced, errant throws and bad decisions are absolutely dreadful and it's not at all like the guy we saw last year.

Edit: I made an error in the time of when the Steelers had the ball in the fourth. Fixed that.
Also dramatically different circumstances in your first paragraph. One was a one score game, the other was a two score game. Not to mention that all that running in the fourth quarter and they still couldn't manage to find the end zone.
Note the 11 play, 80 yard TD drive, which took only 3 minutes (something that won't happen when you're running the ball a lot) involved 64 yards of passing and critical throws and catches to be made.

Ya know, basically your standard 4 minute offense when you're trailing.

Thezone27

Ravens Ring of Honor
Marlon Humphrey was targeted 0 times yesterday. Is Kenny Pickett scared that Humphrey can in fact pickett?

Thezone27

Ravens Ring of Honor
But Harbaugh deserves blame because the coordinators he hires suck. Are you confident he will make a good choice when Roman gets sacked? History says no. I would give MM another year and see how he does. One major issue I know Harbaugh can control is the communication issues and we see that hasn't been fixed. If he's not micromanaging that area he needs to. His hands off approach with certain issues appearing week after week definitely falls on him.
Macdonald has gotten better.