• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Next Up: @ Bengals

rossihunter2

Staff Member
This game suddenly gets a lot more complicated after last night's horror incident.

We know it's currently scheduled for Sunday but no idea if the postponement of the Bills-Bengals game will impact it at all...

if it continues as planned it'll either be at 1pm or 4:25pm ET and not SNF.

No idea if it's for the division or not.

Either way we can only worry about ourselves right now - all that matters this week (whether he plays or not) is whether Lamar's able to start practicing... and whether Calais and/or MP are able to come back. It seemed like last week, Calais was pretty close and even worked out pre-game vs the Steelers... his absence was very obvious as we got mauled in the run game.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Seems somewhat likely the Bills/Bengals game will be canceled all together, in which case Bengals take the division and our game becomes a lot less meaningful for us.

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler
They should just call the Bills-Bengals game a tie, but do we expect the NFL to give up the chance to make more money?

They certainly showed a game's worth of ads while they were waiting for Hamlin to be treated, so they haven't lost anything. Maybe that will encourage them to do the right thing?

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
They should just call the Bills-Bengals game a tie, but do we expect the NFL to give up the chance to make more money?

They certainly showed a game's worth of ads while they were waiting for Hamlin to be treated, so they haven't lost anything. Maybe that will encourage them to do the right thing?
A tie is possible. So would canceling the game outright and just having those two teams play a 16 game schedule instead of 17.

Not an easy decision. Has ramifications on lots of teams, travel schedules, ticketing for future games, etc.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
In terms of injuries, if we can't win the division, which seems highly likely now, then not sure how much sense it makes to send Peters, Campbell, or even Lamar out there. Maybe activate and give some limited reps, but basically becomes rest period/recovery from injuries timeline.

Prayers to Hamlin and his family for a full recovery.

Hard to speculate what the league will do here since this is unchartered waters. I would guess they will try to play this game since there is a ripple effect on so many other teams in terms of positioning. Of course this is all going to depend on Hamlin’s condition going forward. I would think that a decision will have to come down no later then end of day today or sometime tomorrow.

Who plays for us on Sunday will depend on league decision and outcome of game. If we can’t win division on Sunday then I see this as a time to rest the weary.

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
Use it as a bye week is my guess, unless they want to get Lamar reps. I wish we’d just get assurance Lamar will play in the playoffs, this is becoming such a disappointment again

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
In terms of injuries, if we can't win the division, which seems highly likely now, then not sure how much sense it makes to send Peters, Campbell, or even Lamar out there. Maybe activate and give some limited reps, but basically becomes rest period/recovery from injuries timeline.
I'd like to see Lamar gets some rust off and then take him out of the game. Kind of like a preseason game.

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
If they play bills bengals tomorrow and move our game to Tuesday then that’s unfair to ravens bengals and presumably bills patriots. It’s quite a conundrum.

Someone gets screwed in every scenario, cheifs probably gonna lock up the 1 and bills keep the 2. Which means we play the bengals unless we beat them in a meaningless game

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
If they play bills bengals tomorrow and move our game to Tuesday then that’s unfair to ravens bengals and presumably bills patriots. It’s quite a conundrum.

Someone gets screwed in every scenario, cheifs probably gonna lock up the 1 and bills keep the 2. Which means we play the bengals unless we beat them in a meaningless game
There's no precedent for this really, but I don't see them playing Tuesday regular season games next week. Latest they'd go is Monday.

For starters, if they play any regular season game on Monday or later next week, those teams basically can't play in the Saturday games on wildcard weekend. NFLPA would never agree to it.

My guess is NFLPA won't sign off on 5 day turnaround for a playoff game either.

In my opinion, there aren't many paths where Bills/Bengals ever gets played. Only other potential option I see is to eliminate the weekend between Conf Championship and SB, and push everything back a week. But that's also basically halting the playing of 15+ games for one player on one team, which despite the tragedy it is, probably doesn't make a lot of sense.

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
I know I’ve been the one saying we can beat the Bengals they’re overrated. But after we lost to the joke Steelers I’m done with this team, I’m sick of Lamar’s injury I’m sick of us always being unclutch. The Bengals fanbase used to not hold a candle to ours but recently our crowd noise is not impressive and Steeler fans were dancing on Rays statue waving their towels all night. There’s no excitement counter to Cincinnati. Bills and Bengals (and probably patriots or jags too) will destroy this joke team.

Now I have a small glimmer of hope That Lamar comes back and plays great, but it’s foolish to cling to that. We and I do need to remember we don’t have our MVP QB so it’s almost unfair to critique this hard, but is he going to come back?

Last edited:

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
There's no precedent for this really, but I don't see them playing Tuesday regular season games next week. Latest they'd go is Monday.

For starters, if they play any regular season game on Monday or later next week, those teams basically can't play in the Saturday games on wildcard weekend. NFLPA would never agree to it.

My guess is NFLPA won't sign off on 5 day turnaround for a playoff game either.

In my opinion, there aren't many paths where Bills/Bengals ever gets played. Only other potential option I see is to eliminate the weekend between Conf Championship and SB, and push everything back a week. But that's also basically halting the playing of 15+ games for one player on one team, which despite the tragedy it is, probably doesn't make a lot of sense.
I saw it somewhere but there’s also the national championship on Monday so if we did play Monday it would need to be during work hours lol

Simba

Staff Member
First and foremost, thoughts go to Hamlin and his family. An unprecedented situation and hoping that he makes a full recovery.

With that being said, it's hard not to still think about what impact this has on our game. Very curious to see what the NFL decides to do here. Not an easy decision in any regard, but hope they take this situation seriously with regards to player safety. Beyond Hamlin, there's a big need to make sure every player in the league (and especially those on the Bills and Bengals) is in the right mindset to go out there and play.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I saw it somewhere but there’s also the national championship on Monday so if we did play Monday it would need to be during work hours lol
Well I doubt the NFL would care about that anyway. Don't think they're afraid to go up against anybody.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
First and foremost, thoughts go to Hamlin and his family. An unprecedented situation and hoping that he makes a full recovery.

With that being said, it's hard not to still think about what impact this has on our game. Very curious to see what the NFL decides to do here. Not an easy decision in any regard, but hope they take this situation seriously with regards to player safety. Beyond Hamlin, there's a big need to make sure every player in the league (and especially those on the Bills and Bengals) is in the right mindset to go out there and play.
Precisely reason why I don't think they play this game. I think its at least 2-3 days before those players are mentally capable of playing. And that timeline may lengthen if you get bad updates on Hamlin.

I think they just have to "eat" the unfairness aspect of this game not happening, and move forward. Basically everybody just plays normal schedule next week, and this game is either a tie or just not a game at all.

Simba

Staff Member
Precisely reason why I don't think they play this game. I think its at least 2-3 days before those players are mentally capable of playing. And that timeline may lengthen if you get bad updates on Hamlin.

I think they just have to "eat" the unfairness aspect of this game not happening, and move forward. Basically everybody just plays normal schedule next week, and this game is either a tie or just not a game at all.
I agree to some extent. Definitely think you should say fuck last night's game. And if those guys aren't ready this weekend either, fuck those games too. Bigger than football at this point.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I agree to some extent. Definitely think you should say fuck last night's game. And if those guys aren't ready this weekend either, fuck those games too. Bigger than football at this point.
I'm on the fence about current games. I think if Bills don't want to play this weekend either, may need to go the forfeit route. Unfortunate, but I can't see the NFL just being like "yeah Pittsburgh, Miami, you can't play in the playoffs this year". Which is precisely what happens if the Bills don't forfeit.

I don't think its going to come to that though. I think everybody will play this weekend. Only thing they'll probably figure out is what happens with last nights game.

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm on the fence about current games. I think if Bills don't want to play this weekend either, may need to go the forfeit route. Unfortunate, but I can't see the NFL just being like "yeah Pittsburgh, Miami, you can't play in the playoffs this year". Which is precisely what happens if the Bills don't forfeit.

I don't think its going to come to that though. I think everybody will play this weekend. Only thing they'll probably figure out is what happens with last nights game.
Allegedly the players and coaches made the call to not play, I say give both teams a forfeit for defying Gooddell and let us play for the division next week.

Obviously joking but allegedly the players and coaches did make the call, which was the right call. I’d rather not postpone the season so just give the bengals the division, we don’t deserve it anyway