• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Good, The Bills, and the Peterman

O

OriolesMagicPlease

The good, Joe spreading the ball around
The bad, the fumbling.
The ugly, tie between the weather and the Bills.
The hilarious, the tv announcer's fascination with the size of Joe's hands.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
I can't remember seeing anything like this from The Ravens offense. Weigh in on this first play for me guys ( when you have time)...I start out dubious and the more I watched it, the more convinced I am that the entire play is by design; The delayed roll out, The insane Flacco throw across the field, The crazy route by John Brown....I'm amazed the thing worked.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
I can't remember seeing anything like this from The Ravens offense. Weigh in on this first play for me guys ( when you have time)...I start out dubious and the more I watched it, the more convinced I am that the entire play is by design; The delayed roll out, The insane Flacco throw across the field, The crazy route by John Brown....I'm amazed the thing worked.

I think you might be right. The way Buck stays to hold the contain basically, the way Skura seems to heavily protect the right side of the pocket and didn’t freak out when it looked like he got beat. And also the way Joe rolls wayyyyy out. He could’ve easily stayed clean and not have had to run as far to the right, which leads me to believe it’s a play design.

Although Joe was having to throw to the opposite side of the field, if that was indeed actually a playcall i think it’s brilliant. With Joe rolling right not a single defender would ever even THINK that Brown is about to cut back to left sideline. That left Brown wide open and it took away all the risk of a throw across the field.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
hurst and Yanda moving like it’s a stretch play, compared to Stanley, Lewis, and the TE forming a pocket, I think is a dead giveaway. And then the first step for Skura as well. Greg Roman does this, he wants the interior blockers to think they have an alley, and then exploit their burst, joe takes a regular drop and the left side of the line parts from Skura like the Red Sea, but Skura goes right and leaves that huge gap? Nah, that’s on purpose and that’s Greg Roman all day lol. Let the DT penetrate and attack from the side where they’re vulnerable.

And yes buck is another dead giveaway, he’s moving with the line and making sure joe can roll out and throw clean.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think you might be right. The way Buck stays to hold the contain basically, the way Skura seems to heavily protect the right side of the pocket and didn’t freak out when it looked like he got beat. And also the way Joe rolls wayyyyy out. He could’ve easily stayed clean and not have had to run as far to the right, which leads me to believe it’s a play design.

Although Joe was having to throw to the opposite side of the field, if that was indeed actually a playcall i think it’s brilliant. With Joe rolling right not a single defender would ever even THINK that Brown is about to cut back to left sideline. That left Brown wide open and it took away all the risk of a throw across the field.
hurst and Yanda moving like it’s a stretch play, compared to Stanley, Lewis, and the TE forming a pocket, I think is a dead giveaway. And then the first step for Skura as well. Greg Roman does this, he wants the interior blockers to think they have an alley, and then exploit their burst, joe takes a regular drop and the left side of the line parts from Skura like the Red Sea, but Skura goes right and leaves that huge gap? Nah, that’s on purpose and that’s Greg Roman all day lol. Let the DT penetrate and attack from the side where they’re vulnerable.

And yes buck is another dead giveaway, he’s moving with the line and making sure joe can roll out and throw clean.
Thanks for the look see and the insight.

Icy

Practice Squad

if they play had been covered downfield, would joe have been able to dump the ball off to allen ?

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
if they play had been covered downfield, would joe have been able to dump the ball off to allen ?
Doubt it, Allen looks like he was assigned the task of making sure joe could throw a clean ball. Maybe there was a cue or something that would tip Allen to go for the dump off? But it looks like that play had one intention

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Doubt it, Allen looks like he was assigned the task of making sure joe could throw a clean ball. Maybe there was a cue or something that would tip Allen to go for the dump off? But it looks like that play had one intention
I’m sure if Flacco sat there for a few more seconds because of no one being open Buck would’ve broke off for a pass.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Just to jump in on the discussion, I'm not sure Joe wanted to throw across the field. That was, what, 28 yards(?) across the field? That's a good 40ish yards to throw the ball over A LOT of defenders. That's not something you want to do unless you have it wide open.

So, what am I saying? This was a really good play from Joe to make his first reads and work through his progressions to find John Brown so wide open on the other side of the field.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Just to jump in on the discussion, I'm not sure Joe wanted to throw across the field. That was, what, 28 yards(?) across the field? That's a good 40ish yards to throw the ball over A LOT of defenders. That's not something you want to do unless you have it wide open.

So, what am I saying? This was a really good play from Joe to make his first reads and work through his progressions to find John Brown so wide open on the other side of the field.
But, at the same time, I think maybe he DID want to throw it. If Brown wasn’t one of his first reads, why didn’t he throw to the wide open Crabtree in the middle of the field? Only reason for that would be Crabtree wasn’t open until after Joe looked at him, which is possible but I’m not so sure. I think they knew Brown would be wide open.