• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Good, The Bills, and the Peterman

Tank

Hall of Famer
I was more impressed with Turner than Dixon during preseason. Turner sort of reminds me of Rice.
Yeah, I’m kinda done(as may be the Ravens) with Dixon. Turner’s a hungry young stud who looks the part. And even if it was pre season, when he scored the TD against Miami he made the DBs look like D linemen, dusted ‘em!

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
Another fun stat: Brandon Carr has 20 career interceptions over his 10 year career...
he had 1 int in his last 52 games before coming to baltimore - he now has 5 ints in his first 17 games as a raven
I was impressed with Carr yesterday. I thought he played well. I thought he may be a weak spot this Sunday, so I am glad he proved me wrong.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Here is my issue..it's still the O line. Alex Lewis cannot run block. Stanley seems to have stayed static as an above average tackle for a few years now and we know what we're getting from Skura and Hurst. Yanda might not be quite as good but is still the standard for us.

It pisses me off that we've not made more of an attempt to get a mauler LG.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
Here is my issue..it's still the O line. Alex Lewis cannot run block. Stanley seems to have stayed static as an above average tackle for a few years now and we know what we're getting from Skura and Hurst. Yanda might not be quite as good but is still the standard for us.

It pisses me off that we've not made more of an attempt to get a mauler LG.
I think you are right on this.
I do think the offensive line will make or break this team this year . Lets see them open some holes in the Cincy game.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Yeah, I’m kinda done(as may be the Ravens) with Dixon. Turner’s a hungry young stud who looks the part. And even if it was pre season, when he scored the TD against Miami he made the DBs look like D linemen, dusted ‘em!
I’d put him on IR and make sure he is totally healed before he comes back, then later in the year he could be brought back. Of course this would depend on other players of more value that get injured. Players that were put on IR prior to 9/2 are not eligible to return from IR, so Elliott isn’t eligible.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
@Sami84. There's a lot of variables about the line that you need to account for in the first game.

1. It was raining like hell. That usually means teams are going to run the ball more. Buffalo thought that and they stacked the box, making it borderline impossible to rush to the edges. Marty and Roman likely anticipated that and because of that, they were straight up not prepared for the passing attack and it worked. I've been a harsh critic for Marty, but he called a hell of a game. He at least is better than Cam in that regard. He does show at times that he can be good.

2. The line has actually never played together. Stanley-Lewis-Skura-Yanda-Hurst. That look never got any extensive time in the preseason(which is all the more infuriating why Hurst is starting at RT over Brown. He played G the preseason and was at least passable there. Whereas Brown is already twice the RT Hurst could hope to be). The line is a team too. They need time to gel. There's a new C and RT, and the RT will change again(which is why Brown should start ASAP. Changing them in the middle of the season is just going to make things harder). Even with our shit personel last year, once the line got time to form chemistry, they were fine. Granted, the level of competition we played as a whole last year sucked, and I still think the strong play was a fluke(@RavensMania) but there's no chemistry yet.

3. Lewis and Yanda are returning from season ending injuries. Yanda got the preseason off(though he deserves it so this is not a complaint, just an observation). While Lewis did get time, he's still got some rust on him. And he has next to no in game experience in the power scheme. He has to work out the kinks. And Stanley sustained an injury preseason too that took him out of a game. Wouldn't surprise me if he isn't 100% yet. Actually, Hurst suffered one too.

I still have to worry about the line too.. Not just the obvious Hurst situation which could potentially cost us this Bengals game. But Lewis was not inspiring as a run blocker neither. Having Skura next to him doesn't help at all.

This team is an average center and a smart coaching decision away from fielding a good offensive line... The good news is one of these problems can be solved immediately. Send Hurst to the bench in favor of Brown and I can guarentee you that the run game improves in spades. Especially as Yanda and Lewis slowly readjust to the NFL. Stanley is a good player but it does concern me that he hasn't taken the next step as an elite LT like he could be with that athleticism. Though it is early in the year, and Lewis is also a bit rusty. Those two in the long run, I'm not too worries about.

Eventually, once Brown starts I think the line should be fine. Again, Lewis and Yanda are a bit rusty and are coming off of injuries. It'll take a few weeks for them to get back to form, and if Yanda does return to form and we put the mauler RT we drafted next to him, Collins and Buck are going to be in good hands.

This line can pass protect so the ball is in Marty and Roman's court. We're going to need to figure out how to establish the run game.

I know you have this preconceived thought that "every player must be dominant". We have a a future hall of famer at guard, and a good(not just above average. Stanley is a good tackle who could be much more and it's frustrating but he's going to be a league starter for another 7 seasons. You don't get to be that if you're just above average), and a future mauler at RT. I know you want a mauler at LG, I do too. But Lewis needs more time in this scheme to prove himself before we come to a conclusion. He's kind of new to this, in game and practice are two completely different things. If not, then we go into next season with our only real need being the offensive line, and even if Flacco is still on the roster(which is a very strong possibility) we'll have some cap room to play around with even after giving CJ, Brown, and Suggs money. Also helps that the interior oline class next season looks strong.

I'm mad at Hurst but I'm not going to freak out unless this is a massive problem weeks from now. I don't expect the line to be good against the Bengals but there are other factors at play. Short week, road game, etc.

The good news is. This defense looks like it could be an elite unit and as long as the offense is better than it was in 2016, and 2017(which in one week I already have confidence in the offense as a whole.. They added a lot of talent. Again though we should wait), and the Bengals are not exactly great at oline either. The Broncos don't have a good one. Carolina is bleeding, Tampa Bay will run out of fitzmagic soon enough. LA Chargers don't have a good oline. Oakland's oline is falling apart despite having a good interior(thanks Gruden). Tenessee is fucked without Lewan if he doesn't come back. Our front seven stays healthy we could very well control those games. In fact, even with our problems we're still better off on the offensive line than about 60% of the teams with regards to the offensive line. Once the line settles, if we still have problems, then I'll probably complain too. But right now. Patience is a virtue.. I guess. I will be more at ease once Brown starts.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
I am not afraid of Tennessee at all, without Walker I do not see how they put up 15 points against the Ravens D. Raiders are now basically a free win because they traded away there best defensive piece and are going to be a disaster. This schedule that everyone screamed was insane suddenly seems like a pretty easy path to 10 wins.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I am not afraid of Tennessee at all, without Walker I do not see how they put up 15 points against the Ravens D. Raiders are now basically a free win because they traded away there best defensive piece and are going to be a disaster. This schedule that everyone screamed was insane suddenly seems like a pretty easy path to 10 wins.
If we come out of this stretch 4-0 we're going to win this division. We'll lose a couple of games here. We'll probably drop one we have no business dropping(usually Phillip Rivers does the trick there) as well as losing a few games we probably should(I think New Orleans bounces back, Atlanta is a really good team... Though Sarkisian might ruin the entire season if they don't fire him soon). But Denver is very beatable despite having the best edge rusher in the game. I see the Chiefs having an up and down year. Mahomes looks good, but he has to adjust and is going to have his highs and lows, and that defense for the Chiefs is still probably going to be a dumpster fire with some of the pieces they lost. Oakland I have as W now that Gruden ruined the team. Carolina's Oline is in shambles but their defense is also a very good unit so I could see that game going either way. Browns are still not a good team even if they're considerably better than last year. Titans I see us winning with no Mariota and no Walker or Lewan. And we usually at the very worst split with the Steelers and Bengals so.... Yeah. 10-6 is doable.

This team needs to fix the oline, and part of this problem is fixable from within, to be a true contender but it's a good team. Better than the mediocre squads we've put out the past few years.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
If we come out of this stretch 4-0 we're going to win this division. We'll lose a couple of games here. We'll probably drop one we have no business dropping(usually Phillip Rivers does the trick there) as well as losing a few games we probably should(I think New Orleans bounces back, Atlanta is a really good team... Though Sarkisian might ruin the entire season if they don't fire him soon). But Denver is very beatable despite having the best edge rusher in the game. I see the Chiefs having an up and down year. Mahomes looks good, but he has to adjust and is going to have his highs and lows, and that defense for the Chiefs is still probably going to be a dumpster fire with some of the pieces they lost. Oakland I have as W now that Gruden ruined the team. Carolina's Oline is in shambles but their defense is also a very good unit so I could see that game going either way. Browns are still not a good team even if they're considerably better than last year. Titans I see us winning with no Mariota and no Walker or Lewan. And we usually at the very worst split with the Steelers and Bengals so.... Yeah. 10-6 is doable.

This team needs to fix the oline, and part of this problem is fixable from within, to be a true contender but it's a good team. Better than the mediocre squads we've put out the past few years.

I know they have to fix the OLine but do they have to do that to really be a contender? If they win the division that means they finished ahead of the Steelers, the Texans are a quiet contender but the rest of the south is awful, the west is all a bunch of "they are good BUT" teams so really who else is there to be a contender for the SB beyond the Ravens Texans Pats and Steelers who the Ravens would be finishing ahead of if they win the division and of the not named the Pats who else is better suited to beat them but the Ravens who always play them close?

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I know they have to fix the OLine but do they have to do that to really be a contender? If they win the division that means they finished ahead of the Steelers, the Texans are a quiet contender but the rest of the south is awful, the west is all a bunch of "they are good BUT" teams so really who else is there to be a contender for the SB beyond the Ravens Texans Pats and Steelers who the Ravens would be finishing ahead of if they win the division and of the not named the Pats who else is better suited to beat them but the Ravens who always play them close?
There’s one team you’re missing that we might have to go through. Bottles is a terrible qb but this Jacksonville defense is as elite as they come. It’s good enough to win a super bowl so long as the jaguars have a strong run game and given Fournette’s injury is minor and he will be back soon, well they’ll likely have that.

But yeah. I’m saying if this oline becomes good. Then this team suddenly doesn’t have a weakness and we could win the conference running away with it. It’s weird

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
There’s one team you’re missing that we might have to go through. Bottles is a terrible qb but this Jacksonville defense is as elite as they come. It’s good enough to win a super bowl so long as the jaguars have a strong run game and given Fournette’s injury is minor and he will be back soon, well they’ll likely have that.

But yeah. I’m saying if this oline becomes good. Then this team suddenly doesn’t have a weakness and we could win the conference running away with it. It’s weird

I did forget Jax (which is weird because they are my SB favorite, but I guess I had a brain fart) but still when you are saying the Ravens are a top 3 AFC team that is a contender, and what is scary is I think they could be a top 3 AFC team if they field this team, if they field the good OLine combo then I think they can maybe take down Jax and certainly take down NE.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
I feel like i might as well just quote the whole article from Ken Mckusick but this is what he wrote on ZDS:

"Za’Darius Smith (34 snaps) had a pass rush game that included a number of near misses. In racing form:

• (Q2, 9:35) Generated flush shared with Urban that led to Suggs’ drive-ending S-5
• (Q2, 3:31) Chased down Peterman for drive-ending RR1 (near sack)
• (Q3, 12:22) Dropped INT from Peterman on Pierce’s QH
• (Q3, 10:49) Cleaned up on Tim Williams’ flush for drive-ending S-4 of Allen
• (Q3, 5:25) Chased down Allen from pocket on RM3 (near sack)
• (Q3, 4:12) Tackled Allen after RPO fake, but scored as RR-2 (near sack)
• (Q4, 14:22) Drew holding on RG Miller to negate PR15

Smith was the Ravens most effective defensive player and could have finished with 4 sacks. He had the opportunity to rush both from OLB and the interior and appears primed for a big year."

One note from me is that the first near sack he noted is definitely one he will want back - he found himself on the floor again - although he did better than last year - this year he didnt just fall over, in stead he got stiff-armed by the qb lol - he's going to be hiding in shame in the film room this week hoping to get away from his teammates ribbing him albeit the rest of his game probably means he'll get away with it
Za'Darius Smith and the phrase "near miss" are basically synonymous with each other at this juncture.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Apparently Dixon is expected to miss a good amount of time. Fuck me

i would just like to point out that these reports are all based off zrebiec's tweet where he specifically said, and i quote:

"Haven't heard any definitive diagnosis on running back Kenneth Dixon's knee injury"

so all this reporting is very premature - i expect he'll miss some time but we know nothing at this point about the severity or lack of severity of the injury

Tank

Hall of Famer
i would just like to point out that these reports are all based off zrebiec's tweet where he specifically said, and i quote:

"Haven't heard any definitive diagnosis on running back Kenneth Dixon's knee injury"

so all this reporting is very premature - i expect he'll miss some time but we know nothing at this point about the severity or lack of severity of the injury
Yeah, could be minor although any notable injury is disconcerting. Seems Dixon has an interminable case of “Jimmyitis”.

Tank

Hall of Famer
to be fair to dixon - the injuries that have led to him missing games have all come when he's been rolled up on - that's a freak type injury that you cant prevent

this isnt campanaro-esque
Yeah, not like Camp, but everyone gets rolled up on. Guess he just has bad luck. And the suspensions.........

RayRayRaven

Veteran
The Board is Back!

All one can say about week one is "Monumental Smackdown"!