• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2023 Offseason Thread

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don't understand this. Are the Cardinals eating $22.6 M in dead cap on this move or it's a post June 1st cut? That would probably leave a good chunk of dead money, so why not trade him if teams were interested?
Realistically... couldn't get anything more than a mid or late round pick, which likely required the Cardinals to eat a good chunk of his salary for this year. Clearly they didn't want to.

Realistically, doesn't matter if its a pre or post June 1 cut. There's not much to spend $ on right now anyway, so if he's a post-June 1 cut, they'd likely just sit on the cap savings and roll it into next year. So same thing basically.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I mean Odell is a one year rental and Hop is still playing at an insanely high level and who knows if Bateman can reach his true potential or keep getting hurt. Let Zay learn behind all of them. Why not?
So if Odell is a one year rental, what is Hopkins? Is he signing a 3-4 year deal here, or is he signing basically the equivalent of an Odell deal (though I think he's worth more than Odell).

Obvious at this point, but I really don't understand what our position is if we're bringing him in for anything other than a very modest compensation package. I'd rather sign 2-3 depth guys at Edge and at Corner than sign Hopkins.
You literally just used a first round pick on a WR, and he's your 5th option in the passing game with Hopkins here. Meaning... he's closer to a gameday inactive than he is to being relevant from a production standpoint.

If that's what we're doing, with other positions clearly like one injury away from being decrepit, then I'll get on board with the fire EDC train. Like that's horrendous roster management. That's basically just pandering to the smallest possible minority of ignorant fans who think the objective should be "lets win every game 38-35".

You just paid your QB $50M. He's got four solid weapons on the roster today. If half of them are injured, he's got more than enough ammo to be good. How about we build a roster around having a QB elevate our players, instead of the players elevate him?

I also find it extremely odd the hypocrisy of the fan stance. We justify this move with "well Bateman is always hurt and Flowers needs time to develop". Not sure if anybody has looked at our pass rush group lately, but its a first round who hasn't met expectations yet (heading into year 3) and a 2nd round pick from last year who's essentially a rookie. But somehow Flowers is the one we can't rush to playing time? LOL.

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
The Bengals and Joe Burrow are so overrated, they’re favorites in both our games and 15 games overall, I just don’t get the hype, will enjoy their letdown this year

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
The Bengals and Joe Burrow are so overrated, they’re favorites in both our games and 15 games overall, I just don’t get the hype, will enjoy their letdown this year
I mean they should be. 2 years ago they were in the Super Bowl and last year they were in the AFC Championship game. If I were to list top 5 most likely to come out of the AFC they are at 2 and probably deserve it.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
I mean they should be. 2 years ago they were in the Super Bowl and last year they were in the AFC Championship game. If I were to list top 5 most likely to come out of the AFC they are at 2 and probably deserve it.

We bear them last year with Lamar and came close in the playoffs with Huntley. Media make it seem like there's a huge gap but that's their job.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
We bear them last year with Lamar and came close in the playoffs with Huntley. Media make it seem like there's a huge gap but that's their job.
It’s the NFL; there is not a huge gap between the Chiefs and Texans. However one team will be lucky to hit 4 wins and the other shocked if they have 4 losses.

At the end of the day the Bengals in each of the last 2 years have been further in the playoffs than the Ravens in over a decade. That counts for something.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Other from Peters, there really isn't a CB in the market I want nor is one gonna be a difference maker. Stephens, Pepe, etc. are gonna have to step their game up. Sure we can also sign Houston, but Father Time will defeat him as well.

Might as well get as much firepower to go up against the AFC East minus Patriots, Bengals, Chargers, Jags, and Chiefs.
If we even offer dhop anything, bateman gonna request a trade lol

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
It’s the NFL; there is not a huge gap between the Chiefs and Texans. However one team will be lucky to hit 4 wins and the other shocked if they have 4 losses.

At the end of the day the Bengals in each of the last 2 years have been further in the playoffs than the Ravens in over a decade. That counts for something.
Really sucks Lamar got hurt the last two years, they were in 1st place before he got hurt, the Bengals are 1-6 against Lamar but the narrative is that Lamar can’t beat the Bengals

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Really sucks Lamar got hurt the last two years, they were in 1st place before he got hurt, the Bengals are 1-6 against Lamar but the narrative is that Lamar can’t beat the Bengals
I think him vs joe borruw has only been played around 3-4 times.. i know we won 2 for sure, once when he was a rookie and one last year.. bengals won 1 when he had like 600 yards passing and i think they went against each other once more, im not sure

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
I think him vs joe borruw has only been played around 3-4 times.. i know we won 2 for sure, once when he was a rookie and one last year.. bengals won 1 when he had like 600 yards passing and i think they went against each other once more, im not sure
Lamar and Burrow have played against each other only 3 times. All of which were in Baltimore (crazy, ain't it?). The one loss was the 41-17 where they clapped us in the 2nd half.

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
Lamar and Burrow have played against each other only 3 times. All of which were in Baltimore (crazy, ain't it?). The one loss was the 41-17 where they clapped us in the 2nd half.
Lamar has only played the Steelers 3x as well I think, which is even more crazy. And yea I went to that game in Baltimore, my last game I went to in Baltimore

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Chuck Clark was drafted by the Ravens, given the opportunity to start for multiple years, was given a second contact, was offered a 3rd, but when that was rejected by Clark, was sent to a new team that would allow him to start (at his request), AND AFTER ALL THAT, is complaining about being disrespected and needing to get outta here.

What a bitch

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Chuck Clark was drafted by the Ravens, given the opportunity to start for multiple years, was given a second contact, was offered a 3rd, but when that was rejected by Clark, was sent to a new team that would allow him to start (at his request), AND AFTER ALL THAT, is complaining about being disrespected and needing to get outta here.

What a bitch
No Ravens D gave more passing yards than the one green-dotted by Chuck.
Fuck. That.

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler

What a bitch
He didn't complain that he was being personally disrespected - he said that things were said that "weren't being respected."

My guess is he'd probably been told that he wouldn't be playing on the relatively low final year salary of his deal ($2.75 M) because he'd be getting extended. That was probably true until Hamilton fell to them, then the Ravens said, "Oh, we've got a vet on a good value deal - let's hold him to it" which made a lot of sense for the Ravens but I think it's understandable that it might annoy Clark a little.

Not saying I sympathize - he signed the contract and I'll take the $2.75 M if he doesn't want it - but before the draft there was probably an 80% chance he was extended and playing for more money last season.

JAAM

Hall of Famer

AB 2.0 don’t @ me