• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2023 Offseason Thread

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
That's not how contracts work. If you sign a 4 year contract you are entitled to a new one after 3 years.
I'm generally always on the players' side when it comes to money and there are clearly cases when the player is outperforming what he got at signing but this MF is pushing it quite a bit.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Ravens wired is always so good and love getting to see the players and coaches in action. Everyone's awe of Tucker is so funny. Also kinda sad Worley wasn't able to make the team but we get it. Hopefully he joins the PS.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
oh also way too many ppl here overreacted to a slightly poor "welcome to the NFL" game for Trenton Simpson in preseason week 2

he was so much better in week 3 or close to it.
think he was our best graded defensive player. I still would like to see him rushing the passer more, not as an inline linebacker. That's not his game.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
He's a dick. Got paid already, it's the last year of his 4y contract, almost $20M base.
Why not play it out and get paid again next year?
So in general I agree with the premise, which is why most of the public is "against him" in this holdout. However, two things I'd point out, which is likely his thought process:
1. He's the 7th highest paid DT in terms of cash compensation this year. That's not dreadful, but I imagine he thinks he should be closer to the top.
2. He has no gtd $ left on his contract, and no additional years on his deal beyond this one.

I imagine the latter is the biggest sticking point. He wants long term job protection, and he wants as much $ now as he can get it. Like yeah, if he has another great year, he'll get a huge deal in 7 months. But if he gets hurt, he'll also get a much lower deal in 7 months.

Would also point out that him getting franchise tagged next year is an option, and that # is projected at ~$21M today. So if he doesn't get an extension now, he risks getting paid below market value (and one a one year deal) again next year. And honestly, the FT makes plenty of sense for KC, because it'll be like $7M less than his cap number for this year (currently at $28.3M).

It's not super clear what he would get in AAV as a FA, but I would imagine the 4 year, $96M deal the Jets just gave Quinnen Williams is at least the floor for discussions. He may not get a 4 year deal, but in AAV it'll at least be that much.

Simba

Staff Member
Everyone in here is confident he'll catch on somewhere else. I hope he does but I have very low confidence
Wouldn't see why he wouldn't get another opportunity. Still plenty young with enough talent to turn it around. He had a very tough off/preseason but had shown some good things before that.