• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2023 Offseason Thread

JAAM

Hall of Famer
What did Monken do when he was with the Browns? Did he or Kitchens call the plays?
Bucs offense looked good iirc given he had Winston.
Curious about this as well. Kind of wary though because I keep hearing similarities between him and Roman and I want to be done with the heavy personnel shit. Retool the WR room and stop sending Pat and 3 TE’s on routes. If Monken does that I’ll pass

What did Monken do when he was with the Browns? Did he or Kitchens call the plays?
Bucs offense looked good iirc given he had Winston.

Curious about this as well. Kind of wary though because I keep hearing similarities between him and Roman and I want to be done with the heavy personnel shit. Retool the WR room and stop sending Pat and 3 TE’s on routes. If Monken does that I’ll pass

Monken was the OC when Freddie Kitchens was promoted to HC but Kitchens called the plays.

Monken used a spread offense when HC at Southern Miss. Heavier personnel while at Georgia but he seems like the type of coach that adapts to his players. Definitely not going to be a spread offense here but I think he would make use of our TE room.

Which is what I want. Personally I want to run 12 personnel a lot and be more balanced. Use Likely, Andrews, Bateman, (Insert new WR), Dobbins

Reactions: cdp

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Monken was the OC when Freddie Kitchens was promoted to HC but Kitchens called the plays.

Monken used a spread offense when HC at Southern Miss. Heavier personnel while at Georgia but he seems like the type of coach that adapts to his players. Definitely not going to be a spread offense here but I think he would make use of our TE room.

Which is what I want. Personally I want to run 12 personnel a lot and be more balanced. Use Likely, Andrews, Bateman, (Insert new WR), Dobbins
Thanks for the info! Not sure I like that though lol. I’m so sick and tired of seeing heavy formations

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
A healthy Jalen Hurts is just as good as a healthy Lamar. If they stay healthy they can dominate the league for a while

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
You think Hurts can be as effective without all those weapons?
For sure , he did already in 2021. He had a rookie Smith but he was flanked by Ward and Reagor.

With weapons, he and Lamar are out of this world. Without weapons they’re good enough to drag their team along and scrape the playoffs.

JAAM

Hall of Famer

JAAM

Hall of Famer
What is it you’re hoping for? 11 personnel? 10? I don’t see us going full on spread attack. I can see us using more 11 more often.
To be honest… I’d love to see spread much more often lol

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
For sure , he did already in 2021. He had a rookie Smith but he was flanked by Ward and Reagor.

With weapons, he and Lamar are out of this world. Without weapons they’re good enough to drag their team along and scrape the playoffs.

I don’t think they even belong in the same sentence

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think we should be hoping to see 11, 12, and 21 personnel. I just really am done with 22.

personnel is a tool
every offence should be using multiple personnel and be able to operate out of all those different personnel

id like to still see us use 21 and 12 because we've got a great TE room and a great FB - just dont want that to be our only personnel

would just like to see us be more multiple and able to spread the field, regardless of personnel - but also id like to see us run more out of 11 personnel (as long as we've got the WRs to make it worthwhile)

any OC Harbs brings in is going to have to be adaptive to the players already on the roster - im much more interested in their play-calling and philosophy of offence than what personnel packages they ran at what rate...

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
personnel is a tool
every offence should be using multiple personnel and be able to operate out of all those different personnel

id like to still see us use 21 and 12 because we've got a great TE room and a great FB - just dont want that to be our only personnel

would just like to see us be more multiple and able to spread the field, regardless of personnel - but also id like to see us run more out of 11 personnel (as long as we've got the WRs to make it worthwhile)

any OC Harbs brings in is going to have to be adaptive to the players already on the roster - im much more interested in their play-calling and philosophy of offence than what personnel packages they ran at what rate...
I agree with this! I think the thing is we should hope for roster construction to be amenable to actually utilizing 11 personnel effectively. Would definitely need an OC who can also call plays effectively out of 12 and 21 because our roster is primed for it.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yea I’m not gonna lie - Hurts looks like trash lol
He's so much worse it's crazy lmao
Playing seriously hurt right now. Ravens fans just get in our feelings when people give him the props he deserves because we think it’s taking away from Lamar to compare the two. Dude is super talented

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Playing seriously hurt right now. Ravens fans just get in our feelings when people give him the props he deserves because we think it’s taking away from Lamar to compare the two. Dude is super talented
Has nothing to do with being a Ravens fan. Also has nothing to do with his current play post injury. I've like 4 different times this year commented on just how bad he is.

Also it's funny to call him "talented". It's like he's the exact opposite of talented. The best qualities about Hurts are his character, leadership, and honestly extremely hard working nature. Dude has to work so hard to even belong in this league. He's legitimately the opposite of someone like Patrick Mahomes (who is extremely talented).

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Has nothing to do with being a Ravens fan. Also has nothing to do with his current play post injury. I've like 4 different times this year commented on just how bad he is.

Also it's funny to call him "talented". It's like he's the exact opposite of talented. The best qualities about Hurts are his character, leadership, and honestly extremely hard working nature. Dude has to work so hard to even belong in this league. He's legitimately the opposite of someone like Patrick Mahomes (who is extremely talented).

i think that's going too far in the other direction

i agree with you that he's not even in the same stratosphere as the elite guys (lamar included) but he's no scrub either - he's got amazing weapons, coaching, defence, OL etc. really the perfect possible set-up so the level of difficulty is so low... but ultimately part of the job of a good QB is distributing the ball

that being said - there are things he does not do at a high level - and i also think he's not actually playing better than he did in 2021 which was not a super high level

to me he fits into that good-not-great kind of tier of QB and with the supporting cast around him, that may well be good enough