• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The AJ Green, the Joe Flacco, and the Defense- Week 2 Edition

Ludy51

Hall of Famer
Antonio Brown, Jerry Rice, Larry Fitzgerald, Terrell Owens, Randy Moss, etc. all made corners look silly because they were that good.

You can rest on your evaluation, but it's a bed built poorly and without sound support. I hope you don't have back issues trying to sleep on it.

No, it was hardly meaningless since he instantly gained a free release to the sideline. Humphrey would have loved to have been able to stretch that play further, but Green has a free release. Not irrelevant at all.

Why would he be afraid to look?

No, he never grabbed on. No, they could not call a PI at any point on that play.

No, it's actually good footwork that had him even in that play. The recovery from Humphrey on that play was extremely clean. No, him being behind Green didn't have to do with footwork; it was incredibly excellent route running from Green. He sold the corner amazingly.

No, he does not look the moment that he recovers. He needs to read his man.

Every corner got beat on Thursday night. That was nothing exclusive to Humphrey.

No idea what you're talking about. No one generally knows.

I do think Humphrey is better than Dre Kirkpatrick, yes. Yes, he is a natural corner. He showcased his skills extremely well in year one and last week. I'd hardly judge him solely off of last week when the entire defense decided to take the night off.
Christ, there isn’t a speck of dust left in that argument.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Bird, so Humpf looked so bad on that play because Green was "So Insanely good"?

I'll rest on my Evalution of that play. Green's feint was meaningless to the play. The meat of the play was thereafter. When Humpf made the early decision to "arm" Green, he should have immediately looked for the ball. He didn't though. Why? (The arm bar went on for the entire vertical run of the play with brief lost contact at the comeback) He needed to look but was afraid to. Instead he grabbed on. If he looks he adjusts without panic and worst case that ball is not a TD. They also could have called PI on that play and probably should have. We got a ton of penalty breaks that game. The last insult was the bad footwork stranding him behind the defender. Like I said, if he's a corner he looks at the moment he recovers from the feint. His footwork is god awful, he is so fixated on not getting beat and then he gets beat like the corner dog he is.

Did you take a "Pitch Count" on Humpf. Know what I'm saying? How many pitches did the Raven's ask him to toss? Why?

If you wanna think Humpf is natural CB go right ahead. But the truth is every game he's the disaster about to happen. We need new blood. Guess you think we have better personnel than the Bengals and that Humpf is one of them.
Humphrey has cleaned his footwork up tremendously and actually it was never a weak point to begin with, he had stellar footwork in college but he would let it get away from him here and there. Footwork is not the issue

Humphrey has cleaned his footwork up tremendously and actually it was never a weak point to begin with, he had stellar footwork in college but he would let it get away from him here and there. Footwork is not the issue
I feel like Green pushed off Humphrey on that TD but it never gets called unless it’s blatant

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Footwork was definitely an issue in college, but he is fantastic now.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
It wasn’t consistently an issue, as far as I can remember it was quite good, but his technique just got away from him at times
I would have definitely called it a fairly consistent issue with just too many false steps. He read and reacted quite well, but he took too many false steps to break properly.

But it really has been a non factor here in the NFL to this point.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Antonio Brown, Jerry Rice, Larry Fitzgerald, Terrell Owens, Randy Moss, etc. all made corners look silly because they were that good.
One guy I always like to mention is Chad Johnson, or ochocinco. He’s easily one of the best route runners the NFL has ever seen. So good he literally would tell CBs what he was about to do and still get wide open. There aren’t many things more enjoyable to watch than him taunting corners like that.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
One guy I always like to mention is Chad Johnson, or ochocinco. He’s easily one of the best route runners the NFL has ever seen. So good he literally would tell CBs what he was about to do and still get wide open. There aren’t many more things more enjoyable to watch than him taunting corners like that.
Jerry Rice

I would have definitely called it a fairly consistent issue with just too many false steps. He read and reacted quite well, but he took too many false steps to break properly.

But it really has been a non factor here in the NFL to this point.
I really don't see any need in critiquing any single member of the defense in that tragic 1st quarter and change in the Bengals game, because the entire defense played like garbage when Mosely went out. Of course, the only reason we are having this conversation about a specific player is that RayRaven will not miss any opportunity to trash anyone he's predicted will not perform to expectation and others mistakenly decide to respond to his "I told you so" posts.

What alarms me as a team is how dependent we are on key members of the team. Sure, every team is going to take a hit when a key player goes down, but you simply have to pull it together to an extent and not let things spin out of control.

Hopefully this injury will no kill us long term, as it did seem we got over it after the initial shock and after Weddle started organizing the defense. But it is like we don't plan for what we do if a specific player goes out. Which is why we always find ourselves making injury excuses. It was that defensive lapse (and of course a bone headed Flacco throw) that created a hole too big to crawl out of. So, IMO, it was not the injury, but our inability to cope with the injury that cost us a critical game.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
What alarms me as a team is how dependent we are on key members of the team. Sure, every team is going to take a hit when a key player goes down, but you simply have to pull it together to an extent and not let things spin out of control.
I honestly really hate this narrative with regards to Mosley. Mosley went out after three plays. It wasn't like Mosley played a half, the defense played stellar, and then the Ravens gave up 4 passing touchdowns in just over a quarter. Truthfully, we have no idea how the defense would do with Mosley.

Yes, I think Mosley's ability to align the defense and call the plays on field were a big loss, but really, we have no way to truly measure Mosley's impact on this particular game.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I honestly really hate this narrative with regards to Mosley. Mosley went out after three plays. It wasn't like Mosley played a half, the defense played stellar, and then the Ravens gave up 4 passing touchdowns in just over a quarter. Truthfully, we have no idea how the defense would do with Mosley.

Yes, I think Mosley's ability to align the defense and call the plays on field were a big loss, but really, we have no way to truly measure Mosley's impact on this particular game.
The defense was totally unorganized in the first half when peanut was calling that plays. I see where you are coming from, but I believe that the disorganization of the defense in the first half is enough to know how much we were missing when CJ went down.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
The defense was totally unorganized in the first half when peanut was calling that plays. I see where you are coming from, but I believe that the disorganization of the defense in the first half is enough to know how much we were missing when CJ went down.
I'd have to see more to make a definitive claim. It's just too hard to say. That game had trap written all over it

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor

Sounds to me like you’re just trying to hard to argue with the common explanation here. Even a few players said it was hectic after CJ went down. The Bengals exploited the middle of the field badly.

Then weddle comes in after halftime adjustments and we shut them down. CJ plays and the game is different.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Sounds to me like you’re just trying to hard to argue with the common explanation here. Even a few players said it was hectic after CJ went down. The Bengals exploited the middle of the field badly.

Then weddle comes in after halftime adjustments and we shut them down. CJ plays and the game is different.
No, I'm not trying to argue with a common narrative; rather, I'm not using this as an excuse for the Ravens getting absolutely whooped on both sides of the ball and losing to a team they really should have beat.

I acknowledged the IQ CJ brings to the field, but would he have really been the difference between a win and loss? Given how flat the team was, I'm not so sure.

I think the area the Ravens really missed Mosley the most was in run defense.

Charm City

Pro Bowler
No, I'm not trying to argue with a common narrative; rather, I'm not using this as an excuse for the Ravens getting absolutely whooped on both sides of the ball and losing to a team they really should have beat.

I acknowledged the IQ CJ brings to the field, but would he have really been the difference between a win and loss? Given how flat the team was, I'm not so sure.

I think the area the Ravens really missed Mosley the most was in run defense.

The biggest difference we made in the second half was having Weddle call the plays rather than Onwasor. This was Mosely's job. Losing that in the first half was what made the difference.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
The biggest difference we made in the second half was having Weddle call the plays rather than Onwasor. This was Mosely's job. Losing that in the first half was what made the difference.
I mean, the Ravens just got flat out beat on many of those plays. Again, it is really hard to definitively know and play the game of hypotheticals.

What I do know is that the Ravens got worked in man coverage and that was a bigger issue than simple communication to me.

Again, I'm not a fan of playing this game until we get a larger sample size. I hope we never do, but it's a game where both sides looked flat and out of sorts.